UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Flutter

Old 01-19-2017, 03:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Si@Hendy Performance

During the conversation as couple of points were raised. Some of the noise could be coming back via the intake, this is normal. However some more questions have been asked.

1. Did the noise happen from the offset of the installation of the kit? Has it got steadily worse etc?

2. To do a visual check of the diaphragm on the relief valve - for any splits/damage which could be causing the excessive noise? Its only 2 bolts to remove to check, also double check the gasket at the same time.
Hi Si,

1. Mine has only been on the car for a week, and its not my daily drive, however from being fully installed I have always heard the flutter - if I release the accelerator without pressing it shortly after a stint of acceleration the flutter noise continues for some time. As soon as I press the noisy pedal again it goes away.

2. I checked the diaphragm multiple times during the install to make sure there was no damage, marks, splits etc, and I seated and reseated it until I was 100% positive it wasnt being nipped when I mounted and bolted it in place.

I'm happy to fit some sort of BOV in lieu of this if it would help remove the flutter and instead give the 'whoosh' noise you would associate with a turbo system - I'm just not clued up enough to know if that would work on a S/C setup like this?
Old 01-19-2017, 03:55 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine only flutters right up at the top end but it instantly goes away and becomes a woosh.
I never get any flutter when cruising around and revving to 6-7000rpm, only when i get to redline 8800 do i get a slight flutter but its ever so slight and you have to listen for it.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Mine only flutters right up at the top end but it instantly goes away and becomes a woosh.
I never get any flutter when cruising around and revving to 6-7000rpm, only when i get to redline 8800 do i get a slight flutter but its ever so slight and you have to listen for it.
John, not sure if I am reading it wrong, but the flutter experienced is not while on throttle, its when going high rpm and then come of throttle, keeping car in gear and letting the engine slowly come down in rpm due to no throttle application. At this point the flutter occurs and continues until throttle is re-applied or clutch dipped to drop rpm down.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
Same for me.
1. yes it has always been there and no it has not got any worse. I have now replaced the vacuum hose from Blow off valve to inlet manifold and it has made no difference at all.
2. I plan to remove the dump valve this weekend and i will take photos and upload to show the condition of the diaphragm and gasket.

Si could you confirm the spring is directional? does it matter which way it is installed? the description in the manual doesn't say anything.
Thanks Stephen, I have informed HKS of your replies and they have confirmed the spring (left item on the previous diagram) should be fitted as the image below shows, but it shouldn't make a difference as its only changing the angle of the vacuum hose.

They have confirmed that your noise is excessive and are awaiting a response from HKS Japan Technical regarding there thoughts.

As a side note - on the video, can you confirm you are completely off the throttle 100% when using the engine to slow down, as if there is a slight throttle the flutter noise will be more apparent.

Originally Posted by mikegsi
Hi Si,

1. Mine has only been on the car for a week, and its not my daily drive, however from being fully installed I have always heard the flutter - if I release the accelerator without pressing it shortly after a stint of acceleration the flutter noise continues for some time. As soon as I press the noisy pedal again it goes away.

2. I checked the diaphragm multiple times during the install to make sure there was no damage, marks, splits etc, and I seated and reseated it until I was 100% positive it wasnt being nipped when I mounted and bolted it in place.

I'm happy to fit some sort of BOV in lieu of this if it would help remove the flutter and instead give the 'whoosh' noise you would associate with a turbo system - I'm just not clued up enough to know if that would work on a S/C setup like this?
Thanks Mike,

For the time being keep the kit as stock, fitting an BOV incorrectly can harm the system as previously, although Mark has used a aftermarket solution - HKS's range of SSQV's will not be suitable - I trust yours is not as noticeable as Stephens video?

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Sounds like yours is working 100% - just be careful of your raised redline / warranty issues John!!

As soon as I get more info from HKS I will let you know.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:50 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-T
John, not sure if I am reading it wrong, but the flutter experienced is not while on throttle, its when going high rpm and then come of throttle, keeping car in gear and letting the engine slowly come down in rpm due to no throttle application. At this point the flutter occurs and continues until throttle is re-applied or clutch dipped to drop rpm down.
This is all off throttle coasting talk Mr-T, when I'm part throttle i get nothing apart from a slight whine from charger but only hear it when the window is down.

What is the warranty limit Si?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Si@Hendy Performance
Thanks Stephen, I have informed HKS of your replies and they have confirmed the spring (left item on the previous diagram) should be fitted as the image below shows, but it shouldn't make a difference as its only changing the angle of the vacuum hose.

They have confirmed that your noise is excessive and are awaiting a response from HKS Japan Technical regarding there thoughts.

As a side note - on the video, can you confirm you are completely off the throttle 100% when using the engine to slow down, as if there is a slight throttle the flutter noise will be more apparent.

The noise is when off throttle 100%, If i apply any throttle input the noise goes away.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've managed to get my car on the road today and stuck a mic under the bonnet, just off the coolant reservoir. The two recordings are hard acceleration/upshift, and WOT to no throttle input. Both flutter. I've checked at idle and there is airflow. I'll repeat the exercise with Samco lines at the weekend and post results.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q6y1r9nb6...oeQAyfRba?dl=0

My car has been like this since the kit was fitted. All lines seem to be fitted securely at present.

Last edited by CynicG; 01-19-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Chaps, I had something similar on my TTS kit, it fluttered constantly off throttle but as soon it was on throttle it appeared to go away. The culprit ended up being the EGR air pump (the one under the front bumper) which I think was faulty as it affected the sensors in my AEM EMS to the point it couldn't be mapped safely (there's a thread on the problem I had with the ECU somewhere) Once it had been diagnosed I went the route of getting an EGR cover from Delta_lima and got rid of all the EGR stuff and this also cured the fluttering, so I get the normal 'whoosh' now only when releasing the pressure as it should be.

Not sure if this is something you can disconnect easily (may be able to pull a fuse?) to stop the pump working to see if that cures your problem?

For info mine is a MY00.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I will take my car out tonight and have a look. I have an EGR delete. Other than that and exhaust, mine and Har-vey's cars are near enough identical.
So if mine does not have the issue, might have found the culprit. Can always transfer my blank plate to Har-vey as a bodge and see if it solves the issue.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFez
Hi Chaps, I had something similar on my TTS kit, it fluttered constantly off throttle but as soon it was on throttle it appeared to go away. The culprit ended up being the EGR air pump (the one under the front bumper) which I think was faulty as it affected the sensors in my AEM EMS to the point it couldn't be mapped safely (there's a thread on the problem I had with the ECU somewhere) Once it had been diagnosed I went the route of getting an EGR cover from Delta_lima and got rid of all the EGR stuff and this also cured the fluttering, so I get the normal 'whoosh' now only when releasing the pressure as it should be.

Not sure if this is something you can disconnect easily (may be able to pull a fuse?) to stop the pump working to see if that cures your problem?

For info mine is a MY00.
This is great information

I have the EGR still in place so is a potential!

Mikeegsi & johnckeen do you have your erg system still hooked up? Also are you on a wire throttle or the fly by wire engine? mine is a wire throttle

To the guys who don't have the issue do you have an erg delete?

Be good to get all this information together.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Flutter