UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Flutter

Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a s2k today! It's got a rotex supercharger and I also get the fluttering once of the throttle. But I don't have a clue if this is normal? Also can anyone recommend a good place around the Hertfordshire area to have the car serviced?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cant see it to be honest unless it has a split.

The primary function of EGR system along with the associated vacuum line, box and air solenoid control is the warm the CAT up quicker for emissions secondly it is only engaged upon cold coolant temperature.

I've pulled a few off these off in the past and they dont really clog or fail. Its switched off in basemap in the AEM.

I ran a supercharged setup for years with EGR then finally deleted at 15psi with a DV and never had flutter. As above pull the fuse remove vacuum and put an m8 or m6 in the end as a temporary measure.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Hi thanks for reply. So I need to unplug the vacuum fuse? We're is this located? Are you local to me I'm harpenden Hertfordshire?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM

That was a general reply, i am miles away from you.

I'm sure one of the guys will point you in the right direction if your not familiar with the car.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Thanks pal
Old 01-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the HKS kit with EGR fitted and had no issues with flutter at all.

There can only be one cause of flutter IMO and that's the bypass valve not working correctly. A stiffer spring will require more vacuum to open so the valve may never fully open causing flutter where as someone else with a weaker spring will open fully under vacuum and vent the air easier. It could be as silly as the incorrect spring.

Define your belt stretching can be related to the flutter as you have air trying to stall the charger which will naturally put more pressure on the belt. It might even make it slip when your coming off high throttle.

i think Si is doing his best to sort it but the only people who know for sure are HKS Japan.

I'm happy that no air is going back to the charger when my bypass vents. I didn't change because of flutter I just needed a water injection adapter on the pipework.

Leave it with Si and if he struggles to get anywhere I will post a list of what I've used.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 AM

Hi mark. Do you no a local tuner to us? Your local to me in Herts?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The outlet of the BOV does look small. What is it? 30mm...
Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Si@Hendy Performance

Thanks Mike,

For the time being keep the kit as stock, fitting an BOV incorrectly can harm the system as previously, although Mark has used a aftermarket solution - HKS's range of SSQV's will not be suitable - I trust yours is not as noticeable as Stephens video?
Si,
I'll not do anything until you give us the heads up mate, I've gone back and listened to Stephens video and mine is exactly the same when I do what he has done - If I accelerate towards the top of the rev range and then just let off it sounds the same, a prolonged flutter sound, it only stops when I dab the accelerator. Under normal 'progressive' driving there is a brief flutter inbetween gear changes, very similar to the time attack video that has been posted earlier. As per an earlier comment, Paul @TDi did mention that a softer spring would help resolve it in his opinion.

Originally Posted by har-vey
Mikeegsi & johnckeen do you have your erg system still hooked up? Also are you on a wire throttle or the fly by wire engine? mine is a wire throttle
Yes mate, my EGR system is still hooked up, on a wired throttle. I don't know if its been turned off in the AEM EMS settings.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron B
Hi mark. Do you no a local tuner to us? Your local to me in Herts?
I do all the work myself Aaron. If you need any info or help send me a PM and i will do the best i can to help you out.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Flutter