UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Flutter

Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How big the intercooler/FMIC if too small it could cause issues.

Mr-T try hot water from kettle if pipe is issue - It'll loosen it up.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My install looks abit different to the picture(s) posted - I removed the air pump and associated piping. I do get the flutter at the top end; but it does not linger for more than a second or two at the very most.. certainly nothing that sounds like a 'steam train'
Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 128 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
How big the intercooler/FMIC if too small it could cause issues.
But if the IC is a constriction, wouldn't that cause issues whether the BOV is open or shut (ie on throttle as well as off)?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trunkz
My install looks abit different to the picture(s) posted - I removed the air pump and associated piping. I do get the flutter at the top end; but it does not linger for more than a second or two at the very most.. certainly nothing that sounds like a 'steam train'
put a picture up please mate
Old 02-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Trunkz, I guess your install will look the same as mine, and be the same as DBW cars. Just a single hose going from the BOV into the pipe with the filter on it. No "T" piece going to secondary air pump.
But this is not the issue as we already checked and as both Steve and I have the issue (I have air pump delete, he does not)

As for getting pipe off, I had to soak it in boiling water to fit it originally. And didnt really fancy pouring a kettles worth of water into my engine bay, only to drain onto my garage floor.
Will have a look over the weekend to do it outside.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I sent a video over to Si yesterday and it's been forwarded onto HKS. It's seems to me that my blow of valve is operating as is should so will be very interested to see what HKS have to say.

On inspection I did see that the blow of valve mount housing protrudes into the airflow of the intercooler pipe. Possible this is a variation between everyone's kit and the cars with the issue are blocking airflow more than the cars without.

Hopefulky HKS will get back to us quickly as I did plan to travel to Europe in the S2 in the near future and I don't want to cancel or delay my plans.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Has anyone actually ran data logs to see what sort of pressure they're registering?

No one car is the same, they breath differently, boost pressure is a measure of restriction in the engine. Naturally, the higher the pressure, the more restriction and air there is to dump. These HKS kits are supposed to be 12PSI aren't they? some maybe making more or less PSI hence some are suffering and some aren't.

Irrelevant to brands now I know... but the Kraftwerks kits suffer with the same supercharger flutter and 99% of the time its put down to poor flowing recirc valves when pressures are higher.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Let's throw a spanner into the works...
Friday I was out in the car and I was being spirited as you do, when coming into boost in second the belt started to slip, nice little squeal so foot off gas and I tried again, this time it didn't slip until about 7K, came of gas and then.... Flutter! All the way back until I applied throttle, not super loud like the others but with radio low you could hear it easily enough.
after getting angry and swearing a bit I tried another pull but this time no belt slip and no flutter, just a nice tshhh

my money is definitely on a dodgy blow off valve...
Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Finally managed to get my hose off.
Their is air blowing out of the BOV when at idle, then nothing when throttle is pressed, with the strong surge of air as soon as I come off throttle.
Believe this is showing correct working?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine is operating different to Mr T. At idle I have nothing being released from the dump valve. Upon throttle still nothing being release until I lift off the throttle.

Anyone know if we should or shouldn't have air coming out the dump valve during idle.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Flutter