UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger Flutter

Old 02-13-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegsi
Hoping to have my rocker cover back from painting and on the car this weekend so I can check mine out as well and confirm what it's doing at idle. Just a thought from one of the earlier comments - if you accelarate hard upto say 7k and let off, do you get flutter? Wondering whether its just the force of the extra built up air at higher revs that the BOV can't handle?

In my earlier posts I commented that Paul @TDi had said that either the spring should be softer or we need a bigger bov after he was asked about it.
You are correct. When accelerating into the higher rev range and then coming off throttle, this is the point at which the flutter occurs until the car drops to below around 5k rpm.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:23 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegsi
Hoping to have my rocker cover back from painting and on the car this weekend so I can check mine out as well and confirm what it's doing at idle. Just a thought from one of the earlier comments - if you accelarate hard upto say 7k and let off, do you get flutter? Wondering whether its just the force of the extra built up air at higher revs that the BOV can't handle?

In my earlier posts I commented that Paul @TDi had said that either the spring should be softer or we need a bigger bov after he was asked about it.
yes I get it when only reving to 7k
Old 02-13-2017, 02:53 AM

can anyone confirm if the valve should stay open when off throttle? If this is true then that will be why my car is fluttering. When I release off throttle I will get a small surge of air and then the valve closes again thus I would assume not fully venting the air as designed leaving an undesired amount of pressure in the system.

I think we may have two two different cases of flutter. One of the valve not operating properly and a second of flutter at high load (high psi) due to incorrectly sized valve or incorrect spring rate.

Or its a case of sticking release valves and mine is stuck shut at idle.

Last edited by har-vey; 02-13-2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:34 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought it had been pretty much confirmed that the valve should be open at idle, for the reasons Mark and others explained. The high psi flutter may well be an attribute of the charger (I appreciate there is another conversation as to whether this design is sufficient) but I'm just looking for HKS to confirm that, given several Time attack cars demonstrate the same symptoms. I'd very much like to do a comparison with a larger capacity valve but that's not possible at the moment
Old 02-13-2017, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by CynicG
I thought it had been pretty much confirmed that the valve should be open at idle, for the reasons Mark and others explained. The high psi flutter may well be an attribute of the charger (I appreciate there is another conversation as to whether this design is sufficient) but I'm just looking for HKS to confirm that, given several Time attack cars demonstrate the same symptoms. I'd very much like to do a comparison with a larger capacity valve but that's not possible at the moment
Sorry i was looking for confirmation if the valve should be open when off throttle during deceleration not at idle. You are right Mark has explained the idle situation.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Going by HKS response, I would say the flutter is not an attribute of the charger. If it was, then surely everyone would experience it. Also, HKS have given no indication that it is "Normal", instead they have asked for various bits of data, photo's, video's etc to show the setup, installation, serials etc.. This indicates the flutter is not normal and something has gone wrong somewhere. (Spring rate / valve capacity)
Hopefully they will give a confirmed answer shortly now that they have video's from both Harvey and I (And anyone else who have sent one to Si).
Old 02-13-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-T
Going by HKS response, I would say the flutter is not an attribute of the charger. If it was, then surely everyone would experience it. Also, HKS have given no indication that it is "Normal", instead they have asked for various bits of data, photo's, video's etc to show the setup, installation, serials etc.. This indicates the flutter is not normal and something has gone wrong somewhere. (Spring rate / valve capacity)
Hopefully they will give a confirmed answer shortly now that they have video's from both Harvey and I (And anyone else who have sent one to Si).
i haven't got round to sending a video, but i dont doubt it will be any different from you two who also have the flutter, so to save me the pain of having to rip the hose off in the cold, unless i explicitly get asked to do so i will hold off from doing so for the time being.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

That sounds like a fair assessment of the situation Mr-T
Old 02-13-2017, 04:56 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-T
I have sent the new updated video to HKS - initial response were that BOV's sound like they are working correctly from the info provided - however before you all pick up your pitch forks and string me up! - I am awaiting a call back from them with a further solution to put everyone's minds at rest. As said I also have a couple of diaphragms and BOV's in stock in case they were faulty.

Everyone is running slightly different setups, maps and components, some information in this thread is very informative and then some not so......

If you could bear with me, I have 2 members of our team off today and a new guy in the warehouse!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Si@Hendy Performance
I have sent the new updated video to HKS - initial response were that BOV's sound like they are working correctly from the info provided - however before you all pick up your pitch forks and string me up! - I am awaiting a call back from them with a further solution to put everyone's minds at rest. As said I also have a couple of diaphragms and BOV's in stock in case they were faulty.

Everyone is running slightly different setups, maps and components, some information in this thread is very informative and then some not so......

If you could bear with me, I have 2 members of our team off today and a new guy in the warehouse!
Thanks for the update Si.

Mr T has kindly said that i can swap over the pipe that houses the dump valve from his car onto mine. That way i can identify if the fault at Idle is due to the dump valve and not something else (vacuum related)
The following users liked this post:
Si@Hendy Performance (02-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Supercharger Flutter