UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is it supposed to drink this much oil?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CR1S
Well I certainly wouldn't be using that in a high revving engine like the F20.
In this case I can almost guarantee that is you went for a more expensive/more suitable oil it would sort your problem.
Give opie oils a look and see what they recommend. And then get your garage to supply it

EDIT: having done some research the fact it says turbo diesel isn't a problem but i would strongly recommend using a better oil. At the end of the day its not going to cost much just to see if it makes a difference

I used this on my EP3 Civic and it was all good
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-705-silk...e-engines.aspx
Castrol edge TD is one if the better oils to use and it dare say that most of us in here use it as it fixes a lot of people noisy tcts Had the Op stated he used Mobil 1 or something as thin then it could be a factor but edge TD is a good oil to use in our cars
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds about normal to me. I typically put in half a litre every two weeks. Depends on usage of course, but don't assume that thrashing it uses more.

Fresh oil lasts longer. Motul seemed to work better. But really you're stuck with it. And you ought to check more often than once a fortnight.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you not say its worth a try then? If he's changing the oil anyway?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by CR1S
Well I certainly wouldn't be using that in a high revving engine like the F20.
In this case I can almost guarantee that is you went for a more expensive/more suitable oil it would sort your problem.
Give opie oils a look and see what they recommend. And then get your garage to supply it

EDIT: having done some research the fact it says turbo diesel isn't a problem but i would strongly recommend using a better oil. At the end of the day its not going to cost much just to see if it makes a difference

I used this on my EP3 Civic and it was all good
http://www.opieoils....ce-engines.aspx
There is nothing wrong with the oil the OP is using, in fact a it is a very popular oil choice here.

To the OP, my car is an '02 and when I drive it properly, ie use VTEC a lot and heel and toe and keep it on cam etc etc I will use a LOT of oil. I have never measured it but I wouldn't be surprised if my useage was not too dissimilar to yours when I drive it 'hard'. However, due to the winter weather conditions and road conditions and only short journeys to work I don't get the opportunity to give it beans, a plus to this is I use hardly any oil at all.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM

How many miles has the oil done ?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jamiepm
So my S is drinking a lot of oil, I'm having to check it ever couple of weeks, its gone past the L twice now and I'm getting a bit worried.
In the past 3 months its had around 4-5 litres of the stuff.

Anything I should watch out for, just checked tonight and the oil was probably around 5mm from the L, put 2L in tonight and will drive briefly tomorrow to see if it needs any more.
Hi Jamie, unless I've missed it there's no mention of your mileage during the last 3 months.

Without that info it's difficult to make an informed comment or suggestion.

5 litres lost or burned off even in 12 months (8,000 miles), would be worrying for me.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

For a pre 04 it's normal to use 1 litre per 1000 miles, mine certainly can at times, had it checked at about 7000 miles by Honda and at the check it was 0.2l for 300 miles..
This did , and does still, often with no apparent reason, but lots of high revs do have a deleterious effect @ 73K
I used Mobil 1 once it drank that
The advice is ,always check oil at every re-fuel, I understand the "X" s on dipstick equate to approx 100 Ml,s
So check more often and take note vis a vis miles
Check the oil spec on Castol TD Edge it's better than most and as good as many expensive ones, some one here actually works there and will no doubt comment. derv oil burners need very high spec oils generally esp those with turbo,s
Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this posts twice.

That's meant to say 6 not 3, was in another world whilst writing this originally.

I researched oil and things before purchasing the car and castrol was highly recommended, and it seems to do a good job.
I have done 3k in the past 6 months and it has been 5 months (around 2.5k) since the last full oil change.

Cheers,

Jamie
Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

4-5 litres of oil in 3000 miles with low engine speeds IMO isn't normal oil usage. If you was ragging it everyday i would still think that its excessive.

Thats only my opinion and others made say otherwise. If it was me i would be looking for obvious signs of leaks ie a dripping sump plug or oil filter seal. Then a further inspection on the block for any obvious leaks. A bunged up PCV can cause more oil usage as well. Get someone to drive behind you for abit and see if there is a hint of oil burning during normal driving and a few goes in Vtec.

I use Motul 8100 and my 06 barely uses a drop of it and that includes it being subjected to trackday oil temperatures of 120+c
Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Why is everyone saying use the TD version of the 5w40 Edge(black lid). I always order the one with the red top on, which to be fare, the back says it can be used in petrol or Diesel engines but at least it's not specifically designed for a Diesel engine(or at least that's what the text denotes on bottle). This next statement will sound like a load of BS but it's an optical thing with me... When I see a black lid I just think diesel and the keep away from my S.

This is what I use: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60457-ca...ngine-oil.aspx

What most of you guys are using: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-719-cast...ngine-oil.aspx

My guess is they are much the same.

Sorry if this is slightly taking thread away from original direction!!

To the OP. Your oil usage is excessive IMO . Do you see any blue smoke from exhaust if someone gives it a rev in neutral? Or drive behind the vehicle or something to that effect..

Quick Reply: Is it supposed to drink this much oil?