UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tegiwa Cold Air Intake

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lid off, you are getting a fair bit of pre heated air from the rad. Not so bad once moving but not good sat in traffic.

OEM intake isn't restrictive anyway.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Filtration is quite important with an intake, best check that too.
Yes very true, nice cool clean air is what's needed!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Lid off, you are getting a fair bit of pre heated air from the rad. Not so bad once moving but not good sat in traffic.

OEM intake isn't restrictive anyway.
I still felt I was losing power driving down the motorway for 40 miles.... No I think as OEM intakes go, the s2k intake is a good one!! Just too quiet!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Childsy
Originally Posted by Santenay
Last year I was getting a lot of kangerooing when driving in temperatures approaching 40°C. I wasn't bothered about sound or gains in power, I wanted to keep the OEM filter & air box so I fitted a Password snorkel. I am very pleased with the results, I have just returned from 6 weeks in the South of France & the engine appeared to be smoother & with improved mid range response. I have no figures to prove this but I did get over 36mpg. It won't suit everyone as we all have different opinions but I am very happy with the results.
That sounds good mate, where do you find the snorkels? Does it just replace the oem snorkel to get more air into the airbox?
I got mine from Funky Power, I wanted a cheaper one but the firm had stopped making them. I have found a big improvement in mid range, no definite measurements taken but I have had 2 S2000 over 10 years so I know what a standard S feels like. You have a large intake in front of the radiator, no overheating problems even at 38+°C, and it enters the air box in place of the original intake. If you are really interested please pm me, I will be very pleased to help all I can and send photos. To get the best out of it at the top end a set up on a rolling road would be an improvement, but as I only use maximum revs for short periods when accelerating I haven't had it set up yet. When I. Have the exhaust manifold fitted I will have the car set up.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Childsy
Last year I was getting a lot of kangerooing when driving in temperatures approaching 40°C. I wasn't bothered about sound or gains in power, I wanted to keep the OEM filter & air box so I fitted a Password snorkel. I am very pleased with the results, I have just returned from 6 weeks in the South of France & the engine appeared to be smoother & with improved mid range response. I have no figures to prove this but I did get over 36mpg. It won't suit everyone as we all have different opinions but I am very happy with the results.
That sounds good mate, where do you find the snorkels? Does it just replace the oem snorkel to get more air into the airbox?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deadly Aura

Yep that's what I thought, maybe due to the above mentioned heat soak or loss of velocity of air flowing through the airbox. Ive left mine on, Honda probably spent quite a bit of time and money developing the airbox. Ive read a few Honda tuning books, with dyno results on different setups including OEM and the impression I got was the vast majority of the time the Honda airbox performed best. Although it probably is due to compromise for Honda with noise etc, so keeping power at high as possible while not being too loud. Its more of a generalised area the manufacturer falls into.
Yes I can't imagine with the lid off you would get good performance compared to OEM but you certainly get the noise! I imagine MPG takes a hit to as you would be getting alot of dirty warm air from the engine bay....... For me an enclosed system is what I need, no heat soak, not overly loud and no performance loses.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Childsy' timestamp='1375815910' post='22709926
That's a lot of money for intake sound. If its just sound Id just drop a K&N on and remove the airbox cover, surely that would make the sound more audible and I got a K&N for about 38 quid and removing the lid costs nothing. Not too sure about heat soak by removing the cover but you will get your desired sound.
I've kit driven 40 miles with the airbox lid off and it sounded extremely loud and felt like I was losing power.... I'm all for abit more sound but certainly don't want to lose power.
Yep that's what I thought, maybe due to the above mentioned heat soak or loss of velocity of air flowing through the airbox. Ive left mine on, Honda probably spent quite a bit of time and money developing the airbox. Ive read a few Honda tuning books, with dyno results on different setups including OEM and the impression I got was the vast majority of the time the Honda airbox performed best. Although it probably is due to compromise for Honda with noise etc, so keeping power at high as possible while not being too loud. Its more of a generalised area the manufacturer falls into.
I agree with you over the development of the airbox. Ducting cold air from in front of the radiator & using the OEM airbox & filter to me is the way to go.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM

I got mine from Funky Power, I wanted a cheaper one but the firm had stopped making them. I have found a big improvement in mid range, no definite measurements taken but I have had 2 S2000 over 10 years so I know what a standard S feels like. You have a large intake in front of the radiator, no overheating problems even at 38+°C, and it enters the air box in place of the original intake. If you are really interested please pm me, I will be very pleased to help all I can and send photos. To get the best out of it at the top end a set up on a rolling road would be an improvement, but as I only use maximum revs for short periods when accelerating I haven't had it set up yet. When I. Have the exhaust manifold fitted I will have the car set up.
Sounds good, I suppose with a Manifold you will have enough noise anyway but for me induction noise is what I'm after, just not over the top noise. Been looking at snorkel type enclosed systems. Will see what I can find.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There's 10 years plus of air intake info on this site, don't reinvent the wheel
Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MB
There's 10 years plus of air intake info on this site, don't reinvent the wheel
Yes I know lol, I only posted to see if anyone had experienced the tegiwa intake but the thread kind of went off in a tandem!

Quick Reply: Tegiwa Cold Air Intake