UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

For those with incorrectly spaced plates

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with incorrectly spaced plates

I've just been issued with a non-endorsable fixed penalty ticket for having an incorrectly spaced number plate (S2K XX), which comes with a £60 fine. It happened this afternoon on the M6 near Preston (Lancashire plod). I've had this plate for 3 years now and it's the first time I've been pulled over for it.

The copper asked me if I'd been warned about it before and I told him no, that this was the first time. Didn't make a blind bit of difference though and he gave me the usual flannel about number plate recognition cameras and the fact that they look for the space so mine would confuse them.....shame

So he proceeded to tell me that there is a directive to clamp down on incorrectly spaced plates and issue me with a yellow ticket (which I believe is the wrong colour, can I get off?).

I know it's illegal and can't complain about it but I really expected at least one warning tug before being hit with a ticket.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 AM

£20 a year, can't complain seeing as you know the score.

Russ.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really find it hard to believe that the recognition software is 'fooled' by number/letter spacing! Spreadsheets have been using the function 'trim' for years which removes spaces. I seriously believe this is a revenue issue.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:41 AM

perhaps the cop had a bad day and took it out on you. ive got mine spaced incorrectly but I carry the correct spacing number plates in the car, im hoping that if im ever stopped, changing them over there and then would avoid a fine. apart from the space though, all letters are the correct font with a legal GB border.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Numberplate recognition systems do not (In any circumstances) look or recognise spaces, neither does the national database contain spaces!

Its actually the computer system that interact with the national databases that know the prefix/structure of number plates and display them with spaces.

For example, Police cars reading your numberplate read: S2KXX and send that to the MID and other databases in that format. If their system is sophisticated then it would recognise its a single prefix and three letter suffix, so displays the plate to the police as S2 KXX, as plates having that structure have a template display.

Hope that makes sense

Anyway, from what I last remember the police system isn't that sophisticated to calculate spaces so most likely it was the police officers personal preference to give you a ticket and if you challenged it he wouldn't be 100% sure.

Just thought its knowledge worth sharing
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Joeh,Aug 4 2010, 06:46 PM
Numberplate recognition systems do not (In any circumstances) look or recognise spaces, neither does the national database contain spaces!

Its actually the computer system that interact with the national databases that know the prefix/structure of number plates and display them with spaces.

For example, Police cars reading your numberplate read: S2KXX and send that to the MID and other databases in that format. If their system is sophisticated then it would recognise its a single prefix and three letter suffix, so displays the plate to the police as S2 KXX, as plates having that structure have a template display.

Hope that makes sense

Anyway, from what I last remember the police system isn't that sophisticated to calculate spaces so most likely it was the police officers personal preference to give you a ticket and if you challenged it he wouldn't be 100% sure.

Just thought its knowledge worth sharing
er..um..er..actually no. Sorry but that made as much sense as......being pulled over for incorrect spacing.

To me at anyrate!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 AM

The ANPR CAN recognise incorrect spacing.

Having your correct plates in the car will make bugger all difference.

The jobsworth that stopped you probably thinks he is saving the world and upholding the law, when actually he is alienating the rest of the Police from the general public.

ATEOTD though, it is 'illegal' so you can't really say much about it other than the Copper lying to you about the ANPR.

Like Russ said, £20/yr spacing tax
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

What's there to moan about, it's illegal, you'll get fined for it. I have illegally spaced plates.

You just run the risk..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by r8byb,Aug 4 2010, 10:26 AM
What's there to moan about, it's illegal, you'll get fined for it. I have illegally spaced plates.

You just run the risk..
I agree, you know it's illegal and will always run the risk of being pulled over!
It is a shame and i wouldn't mind a private plate on mine but i never want to give them any reason to do so! That's life at times, if you want to run the risk you pay the fine!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM

so the reason this is illegal is because it is illegal

Quick Reply: For those with incorrectly spaced plates