UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron

Old 03-27-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron

Myself, Lee (Earl's_F20c) and Ron did Blyton Track Day yesterday.

Its the 4th time i have been to Blyton, twice in an S2000 and twice in my old Polo. I really enjoy the track as its quite a safe track to be able to enjoy yourself without worrying too much about having to worry about smashing into a barrier, its a shame its a 2.5hr trek over there even though its only 90 miles away.

Before doing the track day i swapped my BS S-02 tyres for some Yoko AD08r's and the grip difference was massive. I struggled to get a good feel of the S2000 in the morning but after a couple of hours i really got to grips with the car and really enjoyed it.

Lee and i had a good few tussles during the day.

Here are a few pictures and a few videos.

This is my 20th odd track day but still welcome feedback (good or bad) about my driving.

[attachment=92837SC_5758.JPG]
[attachment=92838SC_5793.JPG]
[attachment=92839SC_5807.JPG]
[attachment=92840SC_6007.JPG]
[attachment=92841SC_6163.JPG]
[attachment=92842SC_6458.JPG]
[attachment=92843SC_6435.JPG]

Following Lee in the morning.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwc...ew?usp=sharing

Following a Clio Cup Car in the morning, later in the afternoon i was able to easily keep up with the Clio even though it was on slicks and looked fully track prepped.

Session in the afternoon.

Last session when it was raining so the track was very slippy.

You may notice that when i come out of one of the corners i short shift in 3rd, the reason for this is because i 8 out of 10 laps i would struggle to find 3rd gear and whilst cornering hard.
Attached Thumbnails Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron-dsc_5758.jpg   Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron-dsc_5793.jpg   Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron-dsc_5807.jpg   Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron-dsc_6007.jpg   Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron-dsc_6163.jpg  

Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron-dsc_6458.jpg   Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron-dsc_6435.jpg  
Old 03-27-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great pics and vids Robin looks like a fun day and a track I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of years ago with baz (tailhappy) in our S' .... we tussled all day long had barrels of fun ... we didn't have any rain which made it more predictable ...

Watching the vids the input from the driver seems harsh at times, what I mean is, midway through a corner or right on the apex the throttle is depressed and I wonder if too much pressure is being applied to the throttle, a couple of times this seemed to cause the car to unsettle during the corner and then driver input was required to correct on the steering. Your braking looked good all the way through ... just that 'throttle input' in the corner, I reckon if you tempered your input there that might help with corner exit ... dunno I could be miles off ... and I am far from an expert!

Nonetheless it is a great circuit, although I noticed they made a few changes to a few of the corners since I was there, including the back straight also.

Thanks for posting !
Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlike my expert driving compadres Robin and Ultra Ron yesterday was my 1st proper trackday.

I can thoroughly recommend Blyton as a good place to get a feel for your S on track, plently of run off and run by Javelin it was well organised.

I was a bit concerned looking around there were a few VTEC challenge race cars, and a lot of trailered machines running slicks!!
At the "hands up if its you 1st time here" there were only two of us, so I fully excpected to be constantly moving over for people. needn't have worried, seemed plenty of room out there & even found myself overtaking a few cars later on.

Admittedly I am very lucky to have had the expert tuition and experience of Nexus sitting in with me plus Robin as you can see from his videos, he can really peddle!

Had a nice 180 spin at over 70mph coming around Lancaster, not as scary as expected and interesting to feel what happens when you lose control.

My S isnt that standard anymore...
BC coilovers did a good job, nice flat reacetrack so no problems.
carbon lorraine RC5+ pads stopped well (albeit meliting my caliper paint!!). Blyton is tough on brakes.
Bucket seats, def needed over the OEM leather sofas, CG LOCKS are useful until I get a full harness.
R1R tyres suffered no damage, like Ron says Byton is an easy circuit on tyres unlike Anglesey for example.
Also worth mentioning that although on standard zaust, the AEM tune has liberated a couple of useful Unicorn farts.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 AM

Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, watching back at the videos i can certainly see areas where i can improve, one thing for me though is the standard seats are bloody CRAP, i was having to put so much effort into staying in the seat, i was slipping around all round the circuit and have quite badly hurt my wrists holding onto the steering wheel for dear life!

My car compared to Lee's is fairly standard, only changes are koni dampers, eibach springs, AD08r tyres and mugen bushes.

It was very much noticable how much difference having the VTEC point lowered made, where i had to drop into 2nd for a corner Lee was able to leave it in 3rd which meant i had 2 more gear changes to do for a corner otherwise if i left it in 3rd it would bog down or i would spin off.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like fun guys. Lee what issue did you have with the oem seats? I found mine to be proper slidy, found it to be better with chinos over jeans

Loving the two tone silver s2k
Old 03-27-2016, 11:55 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Had a quick look at the second last vid. Looked fairly smooth and it's good to see you get on the power early. Points to improve are definitely heel toe on downshift as there's quite a surge when downshifting, and I would stay off the throttle until you know you can fully apply it on a corner.

Short shifting is good and often you would be surprised when looking at data that it's the faster option. I do it on some circuits like Snetterton where changing gear can mean a miss shift on corner exit. The alternatives are of course to just go faster in a higher gear

I also wouldnt wear gloves with an OEM wheel,
Old 03-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Looks like fun guys. Lee what issue did you have with the oem seats? I found mine to be proper slidy, found it to be better with chinos over jeans

Well, as you & Robin says above, they are slidey! Unless youre wearing leather trousers???

The other aspect is theyre so padded and springy its more difficult to gauge what the car is doing underneath you.

Horses for courses, theres really nothing wrong with OEM sofas if you dont want to fling your S around a track
Old 03-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
I would stay off the throttle until you know you can fully apply it on a corner.
I would agree with this, but since the conditions were wet/dry, having a 'feel' is no bad thing
Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Originally Posted by mikefifth' timestamp='1459100877' post='23920529

Well, as you & Robin says above, they are slidey! Unless youre wearing leather trousers???

The other aspect is theyre so padded and springy its more difficult to gauge what the car is doing underneath you.

Horses for courses, theres really nothing wrong with OEM sofas if you dont want to fling your S around a track
I find my assless chaps provide adequate grip.

What you need is a 15yo oem seat that has no padding left to offer, much cheaper than a bucket seat.

Sell it you.

Quick Reply: Track Day at Blyton in the S2000 with Lee and Ron