UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Days

Old 01-15-2003, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days

Hello all,

Has any track time been planned for s2ki.co.uk yet this year?
I really fancy getting some time on a major circuit ie: Silverstone, Brands, Donington etc.

Has this ever been done before ie: a purley S2000 track day? not including airfields.
Anyone got any contacts?
Regards

Steve
Old 01-15-2003, 06:53 AM

I've organised the S2000 track time so far, we're on good terms with Motorsport Events and can get provisional block bookings for S2000 owners now.

So far, apart from a handful of us visiting Llandow sprint circuit, all the 'group action' has been on airfields - the feedback I got was that circuits have too many hard bits to hit and most owners preferred airfield circuits as the runoff was bigger (which was handy at Hullavington as most cars left the circuit at some point).

If there is any interest in a visit to a circuit I'd be happy to organise it - I'll be racing on most of them this year and could do with the track time

Otherwise I'll get another airfield day set up in the near future.

Opinions and preferences please.......
Old 01-15-2003, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I had some big moments at Hullavington, I caught them all and so had no offs (unlike my lawnmowing impersonation at Heyford ) Despite that, I'm still in favour of big run-offs with no hard bits and would therefore prefer an airfield to a circuit

Pete
Old 01-15-2003, 07:20 AM

Dont get me wrong, I would love to do some airfields this year as well... Is there gonna be anything planned in the near future? I had a great day at Alconbury RAF Airfield last year, 135mph back straight!!

Mark, have booked any circuit time for this year yet, i'd love to join you
Steve
Old 01-15-2003, 07:33 AM

Steve, I'm waiting to see what test days we get for the race series (they're supposed to be sending me a schedule) - test days mean I can practice overtaking (or, more accurately, being overtaken), whereas a track day means I can learn the circuit, but have to abide by trackday regs. However you need an ARDS Licence to attend a test day.

If I do decide book any trackdays at circuits, I'll post on here in case anyone wants to join me.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:17 AM
R33

I'm going organise a weekend to the ring some time early spring with some mates if anyone else wants to come along. I'll post details when I get the dates.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by MarkB
Opinions and preferences please.......
Good idea to raise this !

I'm up for either, although I do go along with Pete's point about run off areas.

I checked the Motosport-events calendar, and there's plenty to choose from - any idea what the new venue is ?

Is it possible to try out Johnathon Palmers circuit in bedford ? The large international one looks like a challenge

Cheers
Rich
Old 01-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd be up for it, never done it in my own car before - what does it cost in terms of tyre wear? suggest a total new set?

I've done Johnny Palmers a few times on track days in all his vehicles there, including the Formula Palmer Audi hehe nice and scary for a novice

In fact thats where i first encountered the S - doing a slalem and a doughnut or 2, what fun. From that day i wanted an S, and finally got it
Old 01-15-2003, 12:48 PM

After one unanticipated S2000-armco intersection, I'm not desperately keen for another - I'm not sure my track driving is quite up to the test of a proper circuit yet.

So, I'm definitely up for another airfield day sometime soon once Spring is upon us
Old 01-15-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Liz Bushnell is the gal to contact at Bedford Autodrome.
From previous attempts at getting enough people together we need 25+ to make it economic and it will still be quite expensive.
However, I've been a couple of times and the run off is good and it is a circuit designed for road cars so is not too difficult.
Low tyre wear too compared to airfields that I've been on.

Quick Reply: Track Days