UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Days

Old 01-16-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
[B]Bedford is a great place to drive a 'proper' circuit (ie. not coned off runways) in safety since it was built on an airfield and doesn't have to cater for spectators (so no armco).

The only problem I had when i went was that we were using the 'Grand Turismo' circuit
Old 01-16-2003, 11:43 AM

I'm doing an Evo mag organised 'first timers' track day at Brands Hatch on 14th Feb in the afternoon. I have done airfield days before but it will be nice to get some proper tuition at a track like Brands. Sounds a good deal for 50 quid. I can't remember the number to phone but I've got it at work. I'll post it on here next time I log on.

Danners.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:57 AM

Old 01-17-2003, 02:23 AM

Danners

If I can get time off work I'd be up for that although I've done a number of track days not done one for three years now and a refresher would be just the ticket

Can you post the number to call when you have it
Old 01-17-2003, 03:07 AM

Can some just run me through what the format of a track day would be, please?

Would there be a set track or something made up of cones? I take it that for insurance purposes there'll be no racing or timed laps, so is there only one can on the track at any one time.

Can someone please help???

Steve
Old 01-17-2003, 03:38 AM

Steve54

In my experience with the Ferrari Owners Club and I imagine this is the case with most track days the track time is divided into sessions ranging from least experienced through to the most experienced - This avoids faster cars tripping up over slower ones and inexperienced drivers not being intimidated. Sessions last around 5-6 laps as even Ferrari's cook their brakes very quickly.

Although I was driving one of the 'faster' cars I was regularly past by slower ones, it was never about out and out lap times but having fun and enjoying the cars full potential but within my own limits

There are a limited number of cars allowed on the circuit at anyone time and no 'racing' is allowed although you can overtake in a non agressive manner and never mid corner

On a circuit there are usually cones placed to mark turn-in, apex and exit - there's plenty of gravel to damage the car if you go off and nice hard tyre walls to hit so it's not without risk

I paid extra for insurance but I forget exactly how much this was
Old 01-17-2003, 03:50 AM

Zero - thanks.

Steve
Old 01-17-2003, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, on the two excellent airfield days that MarkB has arranged, we've had two types....

1. An "Academy" day. This was divided into sections around the airfield. We were all split into groups and we progressed around the airfiled, each group learning/practising a different skill in each session. They taught spin and skid control and power-sliding, using the ABS properly, car balance and rapid/keeping smooth driving etc. Finally we had a romp around a short "circuit" marked off with cones, with straights, chicanes, hairpin bends etc. where you could put into practice all you had learned.

2. A plain airfield day with none of the above except for the last one. There were, however, instructors on hand to give instruction (at extra cost - but well worth it). The "circuit" was much bigger but was still a 'coned off' one.

The security you get from an airfield day is invaluable. By that I mean that there is nothing to hit, no barriers, no buildings, just tarmac and grass and you can just "go for it" with impunity when, for example, taking part in the "power-slide/spin control" tuition. Many of us mowed acres of grass in spectacular fashion on this one and, in the ABS session, I flattened many cones when finding the limit beyond which ABS won't help you.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:07 AM

they are great fun
Old 01-17-2003, 04:32 AM

Anyone got pics of Bedford autodrome circuit?

Quick Reply: Track Days