UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

unmarked police

Old 05-25-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unmarked police

got pulled over today by an unmarked police car - blue volvo in Surrey,

Wondering does anyone know where I stand and what will happen points wise?

was on a duel carrigway - 40mph limit, and he said I was doing 70. actually went to overtake him as he was doing 40, and as i pulled out to he floored it as well, and so had to increase my speed. He then move behind me in the right lane cars were now on the left lane, and followed my v closely behind.

i moved into the left lane, and he followed, after a roundabout i went into the right lane, and again he was tailgating me, and i accelerated as left lane was full, and don't like people doing that to me.

slowed down when he just came up close again thinking sod this

after this he put on his siren, and pulled me over, saying i was doing 70 in a 40, and as thats over 66 it will go to the magistrates, where the min fine for speeding is 3 points and
Old 05-25-2003, 01:04 PM

Not sure but could you bring a case against them for dangerous driving? (i.e. for the tailgating, speeding up when you are overtaking etc.)

Basically, wait to see what comes through the post (summons etc.) and then get a solicitor + proof of speeding from the police.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:09 PM

Did you get a ticket on the spot? If not, he is just making you sweat.
I had a copper do the same in an unmarked Volvo. He was tailgating me so I pulled away up to about 40 in a 30 and he pulled me for it.
He was just on a power trip and had the video evidence that he showed me but he didn't give me a ticket on the spot and that was the last I heard of it.
The one that pulled me was not very professional at all, I posted on here about it as well.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:19 PM

cool, sounds like what i wanna hear, just him trying to ruin my sunday

oh and he said this when i asked why he as a police office accelerated while i was overtaking....

"its the only way to catch people"

could not believe this, wish the magistrates had hear that....

oh and he thought the S2000 was a prelude, with its hood down - thought a traffic cop would have some idea

think he was pissed off cos when he tailgated and i floored it to get him to piss off he couldn't keep up (tho i was a bit surprised when i saw this volvo keeping up as well as he did - only went up to 80 tho (he doesn't know this

means that he has no idea what speed i did as he never maintained a constant distance which he needs for a lock (i believe ?)

just feeeling soooo stupid as who buit a policeman drives a volvo like that

ps he was actually gonna do a V64Motion, but then that turned off so he got me....so whoever has that Golf, God was smiling on you today
Old 05-25-2003, 01:21 PM

i got a slip of paper which he asked me to sign (of course i didn't) asking me to present my licence to the local police station, i guess that that doesn't count as points??

do they do the fine on the spot usually?

when you were doing 40 did he say you were going to goto court?
Old 05-25-2003, 01:33 PM

I have been pulled and done for speeding b4 on a separate occasion when I was going too fast for an on the spot fine and received a slip with all the details of said offence on it.
Then was sent the court info. Through the post a week later.

If he was going to do you for speeding he would have taken down details on the spot and told you exactly what was going to happen next.. ie. You would be sent info through the post regarding the offence and you could choose whether to plead guilty or not guilty etc. when that arrived.
Also doesn't there have to be 2 of them in the car to actually be able to get you done, or does the video evidence replace that nowadays?

When I was doing 40 and said the only reason I pulled away is because he was driving up my arse, he called me a cheeky wanker and told me he could take me court and that I was just showing off in front of my girlfriend. He really was a twat but didn't take any details at all so I left it at that.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:23 PM

read somewhere - http://www.pepipoo.com/Regional_difference...ces.htm#Caution
that an unmarked policecar should not break the speed limit unless it is showing some warning lights is this true? (sounds unlikely)

this guy took my details, so fear that it could be worse - you were doing 40 in 30, so that may have saved you?

how is doing 40 showing off ??!!! FFS they talk some shite

think theres a young guy enjoying his weekend, lets go ruin it.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shannow:

I'd wait and see what comes through the post if were you.

Some points.

There don't have to be two coppers in the car. The copper gives evidence of your observed speed and is corroborated, (supported) by the evidence of the calibrated device whether that is the speedo, video, whatever.

Is the slip he's given you to go to the station Form HO/Rt/1? If so, it's just a slip to produce your docs.... that's all.

Police cars don't have to have sirens or lights on to exceed the limit whether they're marked or unmarked. It would somewhat defeat the object when the car's being used covertly to catch speeders.

'Appealing' is something you do after conviction.I take it you mean if you plead 'Not Guilty' could you get a more severe punishment.? Realistically... Yes.

You must get a Notice Of Intended Prosection within the next 14 days regardless of what happens.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:17 PM

Found this on

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/R...age/The_Law.htm

Seems fairly similar... may be of use??

"I was intimidated by a car on the A102(M) a couple of weeks ago. This motor was following me real close with full beam on, so I thought it was some road rage arsehole. In the 50 zone I approached 70 to see if he would back off, then in the 70 zone I hit 95 and he still wouldn't leave me alone. I slowed down to 30 (in the 70 limit) to get the twat to overtake, but no, all he did was start to flash his blue lights. I said straight away "What the gag with the lights, officer?", and all they said was that they are some new halogen super bright bulbs. Bollocks I say, the whole thing is on tape and you can see how bright the lights are on the back of my car. They said that the 70 in the 50 zone was recorded by the camera and that is what I'm in trouble for. Do you reckon this would stand up in court? I know you aren't qualified to dish out legal advice, but I'm just after your opinion. I've already got 9 points ( I drive 50K miles per year), and this could be a ban for me if I'm unlucky.
My reply:
I think the relevant word here is "entrapment". Get a solicitor and if you can prove your case, you ought to be fine. The police driver was driving dangerously, and you were trying to evade a potential danger on the road. You had no way of knowing they were police. As for the blue lights, that is bollocks - the halogen bulbs are white - blue lights would have been their hidden ones in the front grille of the car.
The result:
I don't know if you remember, but in April I wrote to you to ask your advice on my speeding offence. You told me about entrapment, and I duly hired a brief and he really went for it. As a result, last week I received less than the legal minimum for the offence. I should have got at least a 56 day ban, but they only fined me. Thanks very much for putting me on to the right lines... "
Old 05-26-2003, 02:01 AM

I overtook a Volvo T5 the other day, he was doing 50 in a 60 and I just went round him on the outside lane at about 62-65 mph. I noticed that he then began to speed up and stayed a steady 50-60 feet behind me. Near the end of the road, there is a pretty tight left hander that has a 50 mph limit, which is pretty high as the corner is tight! I often take the corner as quickly as possible and kept my 60mph and noticed that the Volvo was doing the same, which I thought was strange! I kept within the speed limit for about another 10 miles and the Volvo kept the same speed behin me. We approached a roundabout and I went round it twice to see if it was following me and it followed me around. I drove the final 5 miles home always keeping within the speed limit, but it never stopped me!

Not 100% sure it was Old Bill, but I'd certainly bet a large chuck of cash that it was.

Quick Reply: unmarked police