UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Update: Rick's aeroscreen question

Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Rick's aeroscreen question

Got the full height aeroscreen from Rick........had it for 2 - 2.5 years now.

The screen came with two "anti-vibration bumpers" that you adhere to the roll hoops to stop the screen vibrating when the roof is down. You may be able to just see them in the photo below.

I used superglue to stick the bumpers on (type of glue recommended by Rick) and for a while they held OK. However, recently the bumpers seem to come off very easily (had to re-stick twice now). Net.......don't really seem to be doing the trick anymore.

Anyone out there got Rick's screen (or other) and have any alternative solutions to stop the screen from vibrating or over-extending its hinges when under load from the wind???. I may try Rick as well to see if he has come up with any other solutions.

Thoughts??.

Ta,

Neil
Old 11-11-2004, 07:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you clean off the spot where they stick with alcohol? Plastic "bleeds" over time and the oils and fumes come to the surface. If the little bumpers fall off, you should clean that surface (and the underside of the bumper) well again before re-applying.

ps. I cut little notches in the bumpers to help them seat better:
Old 11-11-2004, 07:47 AM

Cheers!. Yep......I used an alcohol swab to clean both the bumper and the rol hoop before sticking them on. However, they just don't seem to want to stay on that securely. Give them a few weeks of roof-down action and they loosen up. Have sent Rick a PM as he since seems to have moved to rubber strips......not sure what reason was tho.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:49 AM

Xviper.........just noticed your bumpers look black whereas mine are transparent.........poss therefore different materials etc?. Did yours come from Rick?. What are they made of?.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Ade

You can buy identical plastic bumpers from a variety of places inc Halfords (IIRC). I also cut mine to help the screen fit better.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:08 AM

Rump a screw through them
Old 11-11-2004, 08:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, the black ones I got from Rick's. I've never seen the clear ones. It's possible that they are made of different materials and the clear ones may bleed more when curing over time.
Also, I've found that most "CrazyGlue" or "SuperGlue", if kept too long (even more so if the tube has been open) will not work as well. Buying a new tube might be the answer. Additionally, try "roughing up" the underside of the bumper with a bit of sandpaper. After I've stuck them on the rool hoops, I took some heavy tape (fiber tape) and taped the bumper with some force to the roll hoops for about and hour. Then carefully peeled off the tape. Those things have been on my car for almost 3 years now.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem - got so pi$$ed off trying to find a solution that stayed in place I gave up.

2 months later the screen started cracking from the stressed points (screws & edgdes) due to the vibration
I now have a new one to fit but I am reluctant until I sort the vibration problem!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't PM Rick - I dont think he uses them

send him an email rick@ricks2k.com

I sourced the actual glue he recommends (american stuff) from a place in the UK - if you want the info I will see if i can dig it out
Old 12-06-2004, 05:37 AM

Hi folks!. Drawing a blank on this. No response from Rick so far and have been looking around to see if I can track down some similar bumpers to use with the aeroscreen. Have tried Hellfords and Homebase plus some internet searching etc. but no joy so far. IIRC the original bumpers may have been from 3M but no sign of them on websites etc.

Any ideas out there, either places where I can source bumpers or some other novel ideas to prevent screen vibration?.

Ade........you mentioned that you thought there were places you could get these from?. Tried Halfords but no joy. Can you provide any more details????.

My only criteria for any solution are no permanent damage to car (ie. do not want to drill into roll bars etc) and ideally discreet (ie. reasonably small, transparent or black etc).

Any help appreciated!.

Quick Reply: Update: Rick's aeroscreen question