UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Viewing tonight

Old 09-01-2007, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Aug 30 2007, 07:49 PM
I would ask if he thinks there will ever be a boy born who can swim as fast as a shark.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:12 AM

Cheers guys,

He warmed it up before we took it out and the general all round condition was well up to my standards. All the service history was there stamped. Honda up untill the last service. The only things that worried me were that the the disks and tyres didnt have much life in them. Also there was no mention of the timing chain being changed which i thought would about due at 55k? Also i could feel a bit of vibration through the clutch when i downshifted through the gears, not sure if this is normal along with the slightly rough engine note. Im just worried it wasnt pampered to much and now that he can see future bills coming up maybe he wants rid??

I need to drive more of these just to get more of a feel, as the two that i have driven do seem quite different from each other.
The second one i saw just wasnt as tidy as i had hoped but seemed to drive nicely.
Oh well i'll take my time til i find a good 'un.

Oh i've got no idea how to check the bushes and wishbones, is there a link for me about this please??
Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 AM

Sus. bolt info

Page takes a while to load - scroll down 1/5 of the page until you see the big pics of bolts!

Borely - I aked the same question - unfortunately you can't visually check to see if the bolts are siezed, and you can't go about fiddling with the bolts on someones drive.

I was advised by the guys/gals on here to make an agreement with the seller - sale subject to the car 'passing' a suspension bolt geometry alignment. I guess it could be taken to any Honda dealership to see if the bolts are free. Then, if you buy the car - head off to Centre of Gravity to get it aligned properly.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=eSeM,Sep 1 2007, 08:46 AM]

One thing I will add re the seizing bush problem.

Cars that are used regularly and that are garaged do not seem to suffer from the problem.

Cars, like mine, that are parked on the driveway and used one or twice a week do seem to have problems.

Check the wishbones and if there is heavy corrosion (all wishbones are rusty in colour) on them the chances are the bushes will also be corroded and seized.

As I said before, this can cost thousands of
Old 09-01-2007, 02:40 AM

Ah Ha!

Ok i feel like im becoming a more shrewd buyer now!
@ Gadafi...The guy was sensible and had all the correct docs, the alloys looked like they had been refurbed and the roof had a new window in it, It was generally all very tidy. Its the ones that you want to buy that make you ask the questions i guess!

So Honda should be able to see if they're seized up? Hope so. Is the seized bushes the biggest worry i should have? No one has commented on the timing chain issue. I couldnt see anything about this in the history or anything about the other belts. I forgot ask about the recalls, but maybe they were done before he owned it? hes had it two and a half years.
Plus to those who have seen a few S's with the red interior are they quite prone to look tatty after a while?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

chain isn't changed like a belt at set miles/age

tyres, discs and pads all round will cost best part of
Old 09-01-2007, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Testing the bushes is hard, it needs a geo check really.
Check recalls on the Honda web site if you have the VIN
Timing chain is no great problem, it can be noisey but it is an easy repair.
No other belts to worry about.
Red is fine if looked after.
What can let ALL colours down is the drivers seat door bolster collapsing
Old 09-01-2007, 03:26 AM

They were bridgestone potenza's, any good? Are these the re050's that you all refer to?

Plus, is it normal to feel a bit of judder through the clutch when you downshift through the gears?

How much does a Geo check cost? Plus would an AA inspection pick all this up?

Lots of questions....ahh its like the first few months of owning my Coupe! Ha ha!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Borely,Sep 1 2007, 03:26 AM
Plus, is it normal to feel a bit of judder through the clutch when you downshift through the gears?
gears to go brakes to stop

slipping the clutch on a downshift wears it as fast as slipping it on the way up

if you really need to do it give the revs a blip to match the box speed
Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Borely, I'm also in the same prediciment as yourself just now in that i'm trying to find an S for the same sort of money. I was hoping to maybe 'tap in' to your info on one syou have looked at. I live in The North of Scotland and there arn't mutch up here at good prices and it's hard trying to set up a few viewings to justify travelling too far. I'm not looking to steel a good one from you but if you could inform me on some of the ones you have viewed and not like i would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Viewing tonight