UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

VTEC Gone!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Gone!

Hey guys, had a disaster last night. Quite hard to describe so bear with me.
Last night I was driving home from work, I was driving quite sensibly. I turned left to go up one of my favourate straights. I decided to open the taps a little and have a little fun. I was in second gear and had just past the glorious transition from normal to VTEC. I kept the foot down but at 7000 disaster struck. I can only really describe it as something blowing. There was no bang but it felt like there should have been, there was a large and severe jault, Felt as if I hit something kinda. I straight away took the power off and dipped the clutch. I just assumed I would have no power left and the engine would cut out. It didn't, I kept on driving home very Hesitantly. After about 15 mins I plucked up the courage to give it some welly again to see what had happened and whether it had effected anything. Well it did, I can still rev really high but there seems to be no VTEC power kicking in at all, there is no longer that unmissible sound of the VTEC rore. It sounds exactly the same all through the rpm range. Any Ideas guys? I apologise about the essay and the crap description. I looked under the bonnet when I got home and didn't notice anything however it was very dark, think I will have to wait for the weekend to have a good look.
THANKS Alex
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 AM

? Oil level ?
IIRC, low oil level disables VTEC but this doesn't account for your description of "something blowing".

I'm sure someone on here will come along any second with the answer.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:39 AM

Cheers dude, I did top it up last week, I will check the oil though.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 AM

check the oil!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 AM

take to honda i'd think is the best best
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, if there's no running problems/noises, it's unlikely you've broken anything as such. The first stage cam will barely allow 7,000 rpm due to the gas flow restriction (like most 2,000cc car engines!).

Which suggests low oil is preventing the VTEC plungers from working.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Was the engine fully warm when you first tried to use vtec? If the engine's not fully warm there is a hard limiter which when you hit it feels like somethings broken!

VTEC should come back when the engine warms up though.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 AM

I have to say that was the only thing I was guilty of, the car was not fully warmed up. That is what if felt like a very harsh limiter. But was not kicking in at all on the way home, maybe I'll give it ago at lunch time and see what happens. Cheers
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 AM

try again after 10 min of running and full oil.. fingers crossed!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the guys said there is a protection system which does not allow the V-TEC to engage when the engine is not warm enough. But this does not explain fully your situation....

Quick Reply: VTEC Gone!