UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which Wax?

Old 10-23-2001, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those of you excited by wax's and polishes may find this interesting - it was originally posted posted on the 'Wash and Wax' forum:

http://www.thewaxtest.com/

They have run a pretty comprehensive test and review of a wide range of wax's. My two favourites - Autoglym and Zaino fared very poorly!!! (Though the Zaino result is being reviewed under appeal!!!)
Old 10-23-2001, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found these guys out there:

http://www.intachem.co.uk/polish_details.html

The avid polishers over on ScoobyNet swear by WaxWizard. Aparently its the high Carnuba (sp?) content waxes which are expensive and give the really deep shines. Autoglym is viewed as a high tech alternative which doesn't quite hit the mark

I'm trying to find out about Wax Wizard stuff as they claim it will hide all the swirl marks and light scratching on my Impreza...
Old 10-23-2001, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Autoglym because it's relatively easy to use, but I don't think the results are very long lasting. I know it's supposed to leave a resin coat, but after a couple of washes I don't think it's visually very impressive. I have been thinking of changing... but what to?
Old 10-23-2001, 11:12 AM

Interesting... I thought Autoglym was really good until now

Im still going to use Autoglym because of its ease, and certainly Tifosi 'Glym' Red will be for a while to come with his stocks...
Old 10-23-2001, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
I like Autoglym because it's relatively easy to use, but I don't think the results are very long lasting. I know it's supposed to leave a resin coat, but after a couple of washes I don't think it's visually very impressive. I have been thinking of changing... but what to?
Ditto... I was thinking of getting some Zaino. Nuts. Better think some more...

I washed wased (Autoglym) today, 360 miles later the bonnet looks great... the rest due to no mudflaps etc looks a disgrace.

Guess I'm washing again soon

-Brian.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:31 PM

As an Autoglym user for many years I hadn't considered a change but while in the States I ended up with the cheap blue Zymol bought from Costco. All I can say is it is stunning and in another test, also featured on this site, it came second to Zaino. The shine is amazing, water just flies of the car to point where I left the car park at work with the car covered in rain and 8 miles later it was all gone. Amazing shine must be the Carnuba !
Old 10-23-2001, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by gdowsett-uk
The shine is amazing, water just flies of the car to point where I left the car park at work with the car covered in rain and 8 miles later it was all gone. Amazing shine must be the Carnuba !
Amen! I'm using Zymol Concourse, the shine is absolutely staggering and even after 4 weeks and 3 interim washes the wax not only beads water like you wouldn't believe but when I drive off it flies off the bonnet - looks an awful lot like mercury rolling about on my silverstone car! Within a couple of meters I find the car practically devoid of water

Having used Autoglym Super Resin / Extra gloss for many years previously I am now happy to say that the Zymol is weathering the North West's inclement weather a lot better... I used to find Autoglym stopped really beading rain etc. after a couple of weeks exposure. The other really good thing about Zymol waxes (I now also use their Creme wax on Bernie's car) is that it is a doddle to apply and leaves NO powdery residue!

Completely converted here! BUT - I haven't tried Zaino yet...
Old 10-24-2001, 12:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought half a dozen bottles of what I assume is the 'cheap' Zymol (mine was -
Old 10-24-2001, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, after a short ponder and a few emails to a supplier I've ordered a set of the P21S stuff that did so well. It's not too outragous, so I'll give it a try.

Once I've had used it a few times I'll post results. I did used to get great results on my white ITR with Autoglym, but it just isn't working too well on my S2000. Hopefully a pure Carnauba wax will work better for me!

-Brian.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red:

What are you going to do with all that Auto Glym stuff in your stockroom?... sorry, garage!

Quick Reply: Which Wax?