UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What would you do fellow s2000 owners

Old 07-24-2019, 11:10 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default What would you do fellow s2000 owners

So the big question is, what would you do if you were in my situation?

I currently daily drive a F80 M3 and only use my s2000 for when me and the wife want to go on a weekend blast. Now that we are expecting our first child i find myself thinking that the s2000 will get used less and less as we wont all be able to get in it. I only did just over 1000 mile last year anyway. Logic says i sell the s2000 and buy a 2+2 sporty car but i'm very attached to the s2000 and could just park her up for a few years until id be able to use it again.

The M3 is an amazing all rounder car and does everything i need it to but its a large amount tied up in a car so again the option is there to get rid of it.

Do i keep both and suck it up
sell one....which to sell......and what do i replace it with.
sell both and buy a nicer weekend toy and a more family orientated daily driver.

hmmm what to do, what to do.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning. If this were me, I’d keep the S2000. If you have the space/storage, keep it for as long as you can and look forward to taking out your little boy/girl out for runs in it.
You say you’re quite attached to it. This hints that you will regret selling it if you ever did.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I’d keep it.
I’ve been lucky enough to be able to run a second “toy” car for 16 years. My eldest child is nearly 14.
Having a toy is a nice distraction. In the early days I didn’t get a lot of time with it but when I did it was therapeutic to fix some small fault, polish it or even (if I got up, out and back early enough) go for a drive.
Since then (it was a TVR Griffith by the way!) I’ve had a few more cars, only two of them 2+2. I could count on one hand the number of times we’ve all been out in both of them (combined). It just doesn’t happen.
Enthusiastic driving is off the cards, you’ll always choose the “safest” car/seat for your child and small children mess up cars and don’t appreciate them!

Keep the S, use it when you can and enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:51 AM

Thanks guys, its not that i don't have the space to store the car, its more that i don't know if storing a car in a garage for years to possibly start using it again in years to come is a good idea. The car costs me around £400 a year for the insurance alone......

head or heart fighting with each other. Head says the m3 is quicker, just as much fun and a whole bunch more practical. Seems sensible to just keep the m3 as the fun car that can do everything.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

if you look at it from a £ perspective there are a few factors which dont point BM

-servicing - M3 much higher cost
-tax - M3 much higher cost
-insurance - maybe comparable
-depreciation - S2 probably £0

you dont drive fast with kids in the car, ditch the M3 and get a tesla, hide the S2 for 2 years, could even sorn it

i have only not flogged my BM through laziness and love of the V8
Old 07-25-2019, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
if you look at it from a £ perspective there are a few factors which dont point BM

-servicing - M3 much higher cost
-tax - M3 much higher cost
-insurance - maybe comparable
-depreciation - S2 probably £0

you dont drive fast with kids in the car, ditch the M3 and get a tesla, hide the S2 for 2 years, could even sorn it

iIhave only not flogged my BM through laziness and love of the V8
Well actually the running costs on the f80 m3 are not as much as you would think. For another year its completely free as i have a service pack on the car.
Tax is actually less on the M3, S2 £28.52 a month M3 £25.37
Insurance is much the same as the S2 is supercharged.
Depreciation S2 wins

I think my head is starting to win in the battle as i could get rid of the S2 and cope with the M3, i couldn't get rid of the m3 and cope with the S2.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:15 AM

the tax is bad on the E92 but the noise is good

as a family car my missus says its too harsh a ride so its pointless, just sits there and does the school run in bad weather. we use her car for family stuff, its a ****ing pig of a Nissan so if you can get away with the BIM do that

you gonna part the S2? they are a pain to flog built like yours
Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 AM

Car is almost back to stock already other than the supercharger, brakes, suspension and wheels. Sort of an OEM plus sort of look. I don't really want to part out the supercharger. Still waiting on the new wheels to arrive which is holding me back at the moment.

i'm undecided on what to do but i'm leaning toward letting the S go. Be very sad and ill probably regret it but having the money back in the bank would be nice. Ive had two S2s now and maybe its my time to move on.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:36 AM

if the M does it as a daily its all good, more of a do anything car than the S

mine just broke a spring, must have heard me
Old 07-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

You could keep the S2 and trade down the m3 for a lesser BMW cab, 4 seat and maybe performance you could use when the offspring are around, the S will be there for when child/ren make you go Arghhhhhhh, and the need for a last beckons.?

Quick Reply: What would you do fellow s2000 owners