UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Whats to be done?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Par

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem earlier this year, RevRanger on here was kind enough to send me some spare roof material he had and I made a couple of patches.

I got an upholsterer to stitch a seam onto the patch in an attempt to make it appear OEM, I also used the Unibond glue quoted in this thread which seems to be holding up well so far. I still need to clean some of the excess glue from around the seam.

Think it has turned out OK:-

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has had the same repair,
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a neat job
Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Par,Aug 31 2010, 07:34 PM
I got an upholsterer to stitch a seam onto the patch in an attempt to make it appear OEM, I also used the Unibond glue quoted in this thread which seems to be holding up well so far. I still need to clean some of the excess glue from around the seam.

You might want to give this a try. A bit pricey but very effective!

However, if your roof vinyl is not spotlessly clean it will show up. So do as they say and try an inconspicuous area first.

HTH
Old 09-01-2010, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know how you/the upholsterer got the edge of the repair tucked below so neatly near the bottom of the patch?

It looks a very nice job.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Anyone got a lead on some roof material for those with Black roofs? Would be willing to ship a few pennies for the privilege.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Par

Originally Posted by buaan,Sep 1 2010, 02:06 PM
Do you know how you/the upholsterer got the edge of the repair tucked below so neatly near the bottom of the patch?

It looks a very nice job.
Yes - by holding it in place for 10 minutes waiting for the contact to take hold (still got the grooves in my finger tips!).

Learnt from the first side by putting a fold in this area on the second patch and putting it between 2 bits of wood so the material was sitting in the right shape - still had to hold until the adhesive had gone off.

I also took off the rubber moulding on the door frame which provides better access.

As with most things I think I could do it a lot better a second time having done it once but it certainly looks better than the splits I had which just seemed to appear overnight.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Par
I had the same problem earlier this year, RevRanger on here was kind enough to send me some spare roof material he had and I made a couple of patches.

Think it has turned out OK:-

Apologies for reviving my own thread, but I went to go forward to have a simillar job done to this; and they guy stated that he would have to remove the whole roof to do it, and that would cost a few hundred quid.....

Tempting as that isn't, I wondered if you could tell me where you had your bits done?

Many Thanks.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Par
Yes - by holding it in place for 10 minutes waiting for the contact to take hold (still got the grooves in my finger tips!).Learnt from the first side by putting a fold in this area on the second patch and putting it between 2 bits of wood so the material was sitting in the right shape - still had to hold until the adhesive had gone off.I also took off the rubber moulding on the door frame which provides better access.As with most things I think I could do it a lot better a second time having done it once but it certainly looks better than the splits I had which just seemed to appear overnight.
When I bonded patches to each side of my hood, as I showed in an earlier post, I used two large ceramic magnets, one on the inside and one on the outside. The patches are still firmly in place!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned

if anyone has some spare black vinyl roof material say A4 paper size so i can look at doin mine email me (as pm not workin) happy to send a few pennies ££ via paypal as gift or beer tokens

Robprelude22i@aol.co.uk

cheers rob

Quick Reply: Whats to be done?