UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wheel Alignment issue - More Castor Needed

Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Alignment issue - More Castor Needed

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me on this site; recently I purchased my first S2000 around 1 month ago. The car I purchased was involved in a accident and is classed as a cat c. The car has always had an issue with the steering, the issue is that it always wants to turn to the left and when you brake it pulls hard to the left. At first I tried all the basic things it could be like tracking the front, also putting a new full set of tyres on and checking that the brakes where not ceased.

I then decided to get a full 4 wheel alignment that showed the near side wheel castor adjustment was out and it could not be tweaked anymore. As a result of this a mechanic reckoned it was a bent sub frame, subsequently I managed to source a new sub frame in which was fitted. The car was then taken for a wheel alignment to adjust all the work that was carried out. The first reading showed that the castor was out by 6 degrees, the second after the sub frame was fitted showed that it was still out by 3 degrees.

I am at the end of my tether with this and seriously wanting it sorted. Has anyone experienced any problems of this kind, is it common for the lower arm to brake in an accident? I am starting to think this could be the problem although are the S2000's body that delicate that the car could be potentially be bent?? Any help would be well appreciated
Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

OUT by three degrees!

It should be around 5.5 to six degrees.

Bout time you posted the full geo readout.

Anyway, any car can be banana'd in an accident. That's why the body specification has hard points that must be adhered to during the repair process. Unfortunately, many repairers are incompetent. Which is why buying repaired write-offs is not a good idea. One 'scientific pump' and a car squashed into a ball can look quite lightly damahed.

Assuming all the shutlines are perfect, the body probably is straight.

In which case, there is a bent wishbone or upright somewhere.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I think you have answered your own question in your penultimate sentence.
When you redid the geo you should have got them to tell you the max and min adjustment they could get on each adjustment.
By comparing them you will at least get an idea on whether there is any twist in the chassis

Cat C is worse than Cat D for a good reason
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Looks like the degrees was not so bad on this read out. This was the first alignment. When i wrote this thread my mechanic friend who did the work said it was out 6 degrees first time...He got that a little wrong
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM

This is the second alignement result...Looks like it is worse!!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM

You need to resize those
Points towards passenger side front lower wishbone being bent as Nick suggests
Old 11-18-2007, 10:36 AM

Thank you for the replies. Do you reckon this is the cause? Surely if the front was bent the near side would be out to?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:54 PM

Can anyone give me anymore advice with the readings?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:18 PM

Not a lot else to say, though each setting can affect the other.
Look at replacing the two front passenger side wishbones and see how you get on.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Are the wishbones expensive?

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment issue - More Castor Needed