Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Chicagoland daily drivers

Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chicagoland daily drivers

Hello all my name is Ed, Well as I'm fresh here I'd just like to know how many others are driving through this horrible winter.

I will be trading in my 2013 Civic Si for an AP2 this afternoon, the Si was a great grocery getter it was peppy and fun, but I want a more serious car for the track right out of the box.

2 weeks ago we got hit with a foot and a half of snow, I wasn't able to move out of my alley even with snow tires in my FWD civic.

Any advice from you guys that daily drive these cars as far as tires stock suspension or geometry would be appreciated

Also would there be any meets coming up?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,630 Likes on 1,927 Posts

I know there are a couple of die hards up here who daily their S's in the snow, they seem to do okay. To be honest, most any car would have issue with the last big snow we had, even AWD ones. My winter daily is a Land Rover Discovery and it had issues a couple times with the deep snow.

Meets should be more frequent once it warms up, we tend to hibernate in the winter.

Welcome
Old 02-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Well that's a relief, I thought I was really silly for this, my wife does have an subie forester that can be very helpful for those snowy days.

It's rare to see a S on any given day let alone a snowy day, guess I'll be joining the die hard club haha.

looking forward to the warmer weather for the meets Mikey from Pro Function told me how cool you guys are I'll be happy to be part of the family
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello ,

Welcome , you just missed a Milwaukee meet we had. However we are trying to put a Chicago Auto show meet together as well.
Once it gets warmer, we meet more often.
Also if you are into the Track , you may want to look at Gridlife at Gingerman Raceway, or you will soon see Auto X posts.

As for driving in the snow , I bought an 11 Si just for that . I too was stuck last week and just worked from home.
If you don't have that option , then save up your sick days , from what Sam said above it was mess with any vehicle.
However , I do know a few that have driven all year round , so I know it can be done..

Again , welcome to the community
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter driving an S is absolutely do-able. Can be done on all season tires but nothing beats winter tires in winter. When I winter drove my S , I had a small shovel in the trunk for the rare occasions that I ran into deep snow that plows didn't take care of yet.

Welcome to the group. What area are you from?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:49 PM

I'm in the Rogers Park area.. Just traded my Si for a yellow AP2 will be posting pics shortly, I spend a lot of time driving up and down lake shore drive to cross over on i55..

Quick question for anyone, I removed a set of 215/45/17 Goodyear winter tires from my Si, the closest size squared I've seen that would work was 225/45/17, I really just want to make it another 6 weeks, the tires I'm on now are summer performance and I do not feel safe at all. Will 215 squared fit
Old 02-10-2015, 02:42 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Id hop on cl and grab a set of cheap 17" wheels. run the snow tires you have although not ideal they are still better than summer tires
Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 AM
S2KI Editor

My DD is an Accord which i just purchased over the summer. I did the same thing you did actually. I had a Civic SI and sold it to get my S thinking I could drive the S year round with snow tires. I did that for one winter and decided I would never do it again. The S did ok with winter tires on as long as the snow wasn't too deep, but I was too paranoid that someone else would lose control and hit me and it just wasn't worth the risk. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 AM

Thanks guys, luckily the wife owns a subie so I may be able to use hers when it gets ugly out. Sounds to me like I may be needing a new daily haha
Old 02-10-2015, 12:46 PM

I drove my old AP2 on snows last year when we had record snowfall with no major issues. The key is to keep it at stock ride height and get real good and newer (more than 6/32nd tread depth) tires like Blizzaks. I ran General Altimax Arctics and they did ok.

BTW, your 215's will fit fine. there will be a slight stretch on the rear but i wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Chicagoland daily drivers