Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Convertible Latch Rattle/ Wind Noise

Old 08-03-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Latch Rattle/ Wind Noise

I took my car in for the recall on tail lights at Motor Werks in Barrington. I also mentioned that in the past three weeks, the driver side latch rattles because it was loose which allows wind noise in the cabin. I did mention the TSB on the latch. Today, I received a call from the Service Manager saying that since my car is out of warranty, it will cost $180.00 parts and labor + tax to fix. I understand that since my car is out of warranty, it is not covered. But should Honda cover the fix since there is a TSB out? According to the dealer, the latches are worn out. I calmly mentioned to the Service Manager that it should'nt be worn out. I only have approximately 14,455 mi and my car is hardly used. I immediately called Honda and filed a claim. They will get back to me within 3 business days. What do you guys think?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:01 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

It's a TSB that never got resolved. TSB aren't included in apart of the warranty claim structure.

TSB's should get fixed regardless. If you were to sell/trade-in your car to Motorwerks, they are required by law to perform TSB's before they can turn around and sell it to a private party.

If the stirker is considered a wear part, that's fine. But at 15k miles, you haven't begun to wear the metal on the striker.

If the striker just needs an adjustment, that's one thing. I can help with that. I'm assuming that if you go to Motorwerks for service, you most likely live close to me. I'm in Algonquin.

If you want replacement, I'm willing to talk to whoever I need to at Motorwerks to try and get this taken care for you. I can meet up with you at their service bay if need be.

BTW, who did you work with? Typically I work with Elliot Faulkner, but he has now moved over to Mercedes Benz service. Ed Wong is the other guy that I used to work with. He's usually responsive in a positive light as well. I'm not sure who the new guy is and need to feel him out anyway.

BTW, when did you set up the appointment for the rear taillight fix? How long did you have to wait to get it done (from time of setting up the appointment) to actually getting the taillamps installed?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm iunno if this will help. But i broke my latch completely. Elliot and Ed both got the parts there overnight, got me in an accord rental, and got my car done the next morning before a meet that night. Really nice people to work with.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Luder94,Aug 4 2004, 11:01 AM
It's a TSB that never got resolved. TSB aren't included in apart of the warranty claim structure.

TSB's should get fixed regardless. If you were to sell/trade-in your car to Motorwerks, they are required by law to perform TSB's before they can turn around and sell it to a private party.

If the stirker is considered a wear part, that's fine. But at 15k miles, you haven't begun to wear the metal on the striker.

If the striker just needs an adjustment, that's one thing. I can help with that. I'm assuming that if you go to Motorwerks for service, you most likely live close to me. I'm in Algonquin.

If you want replacement, I'm willing to talk to whoever I need to at Motorwerks to try and get this taken care for you. I can meet up with you at their service bay if need be.

BTW, who did you work with? Typically I work with Elliot Faulkner, but he has now moved over to Mercedes Benz service. Ed Wong is the other guy that I used to work with. He's usually responsive in a positive light as well. I'm not sure who the new guy is and need to feel him out anyway.

BTW, when did you set up the appointment for the rear taillight fix? How long did you have to wait to get it done (from time of setting up the appointment) to actually getting the taillamps installed?
Urmil,
I made an appointment with Ed Wong (who I dealt with in the past) but somehow, I ended up with a Brian Kudjer (possibly replacement for Elliott). I live in Glenview so, it's a hike for me to get to Barrington but I go anyways because I feel comfortable taking the car to MW. The part was ordered yesterday and it is being installed today. Two weeks ago, I made an appointment for the tail lights and was replaced yesterday. Last night, I called Honda and filed a claim. I won't hear from them until probably next week. I am scheduled to pick up the car tonight.

Perhaps, you could talk to someone you know in MW and help a brother out. Thanks man.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:06 AM

About an hour ago, I left a message for Ed Wong regarding my concerns. I just got off the phone with Ed, and he proposed to cover the parts but not the labor. So, from $180.00, it is now down to half. I guess it's better than nothing. What do you think?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 PM

$90 for labor on latch replacement. I would have had that replace in a matter of 10 minutes for only a charge of 1 Corona....maybe 2; just in case I mis-estimated and it took me 12 minutes!!!!

Honestly, the stock latch would have been fine. It just needed re-aligning and re-tightening. I'm still on my OEM latches. I got the TSB latches when I bought the hardtop and just never install them. I would have given you those for next to nothing....including installation.

Elliot was definitely my favorite to work with of all the Honda service managers in all of IL. Too bad he's gone to Chrysler....er I mean Mercedes Benz.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Luder94,Aug 4 2004, 02:37 PM
$90 for labor on latch replacement. I would have had that replace in a matter of 10 minutes for only a charge of 1 Corona....maybe 2; just in case I mis-estimated and it took me 12 minutes!!!!

Honestly, the stock latch would have been fine. It just needed re-aligning and re-tightening. I'm still on my OEM latches. I got the TSB latches when I bought the hardtop and just never install them. I would have given you those for next to nothing....including installation.

Elliot was definitely my favorite to work with of all the Honda service managers in all of IL. Too bad he's gone to Chrysler....er I mean Mercedes Benz.
2 Corona's for labor, a next to nothing for parts, and a black Mugenized S2000 as a loaner car, I can't go wrong with that. Next time I need new latches, I will definitely take my car to you. Well, I got my car back today. New latches, new tail lights, and fresh oil. It could not be any sweeter. Urmil, thanks for the offer but I figured since my car is at the dealership already, might as well get it done. There's just too many things to do, so little time.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:41 AM

Rob,

Did they let you keep the old tail-lights?

If not, could you possibly ask? I have to set up an appointment to get my taillights done...I'd rather just pick them up and do the work myself, though.

I wonder how willing they'd be for that.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 PM

Urmil,
I wanted to keep the old tail lights but MW said, they needed it to send back to Honda. I asked for my old latches, as well but since they are covering it for free, they have to keep it and also send it back to Honda.

It's funny but in the past couple of weeks, I have been seeing many 00-01 S2000 tail lights for sale in eBay. Perhaps, some owners were allowed to keep it and now selling it on eBay. Or dealers are selling it.