Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Detroit SCCA Solo

Old 05-08-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Wow .. .2500 is a LOT. around here I think it is typically a few hundred for the track day events. Of course, if you are a fast driver and burn through a set of tires, that would be more money. Brake pads and rotors too if you drive hard and agressive, but even with tires and brakes being used up I would put it closer to $1,300 on a really expensive day.

Now, you said track RACING so maybe you meant wheel to wheel racing. HPDE (typical track day) is not racing and is just lapping days (I know .. some folks think they are racing .. but you technically cant even pass without being let by, so it is not racing and is not nearly as agressive for 99% of folks)
You'd be hard pressed to go through a set of Hoosiers in 4 track days even if you are really fast. Gotta be registration fees for wheel to wheel.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, VSCDA is wheel to wheel racing: https://www.vscda.org/ It was a father/son project. I ran in group 6 which was "Historic Production GTO." Mustangs, Corvettes, and had a lot of fun racing some Alfas as well. We had a worked 289 in the mustang with custom heads and cams. It was pushing 400hp and spinning 7k rpm. And that is where a lot of the cost comes in....

$2500 was all-in for the weekend. Fuel for the truck to tow the car, $7-9 a gallon race gas, entry fees, hotel, tires, etc, etc. A brand new set of Hoosiers would last about a weekend and a half. You would get a practice, qualify, and sprint race (12 lap) on Saturday and a practice and race on Sunday (15 lap). Would typically put fresh rubber on before each event's Saturday race. We would typically do 3-4 events a year. Tracks we visited included Gingerman, Grattan, Mid-Ohio, and Autobahn (Joliet, IL). While one of the youngest in the organization i received a lot of respect from the organization due to my habits/performance on the track. I was able to ditch my rookie stripes early and one season i was asked to be on the drivers board which meant a lot to me. The car was captured a couple times in some vintage racing magazines. Lets see if i can remember how to embed stuff into forums....

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Last edited by QuePasaKielbasa; 05-09-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Re-figuring out forum media....
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

NICE, I'm quite sure I've seen you run at Waterford's Vintage weekend before!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sca037
NICE, I'm quite sure I've seen you run at Waterford's Vintage weekend before!
It must have been another pony car. We sold it a few years back.

We did show up for an open track day at waterford once but after getting a better look headed home. Seemed like too tight of a track for that much steel. No room to pass or room for runoff if things get hairy.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by QuePasaKielbasa
It must have been another pony car. We sold it a few years back.

We did show up for an open track day at waterford once but after getting a better look headed home. Seemed like too tight of a track for that much steel. No room to pass or room for runoff if things get hairy.
While Waterford Hills is tight, an OTD would probably have been the perfect way to get to know it....since passing is limited to specific zones and highly interactive (it takes TWO to pass; one car per point-by = no surprises ;-).