Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Engagement ring suggestions ?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engagement ring suggestions ?

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on where to go for an engagement ring? I'm in the suburbs of Chicago. Thanks for any suggestions. Have a safe great weekend.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 AM

Oh and I was looking for a place where I can get one custom made
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SAMs club or Costco have nice rings all certified at discount prices.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Advice my old uncle gave me, 'go cheap, for now, then in 5 years, if she's still there in 5 years, upgrade it' lol
Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Anywhere you can get one you'll know she'll love and not spend a fortune getting it.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ap2_lumpy
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on where to go for an engagement ring? I'm in the suburbs of Chicago. Thanks for any suggestions. Have a safe great weekend.
I bought my wife a ring from some branded store inside Woodfield Mall. I'm sure people will tell me that I could've spent less for more, blah blah blah... In the end, any jewelry store can make anything you want. In my case, the diamond I liked the most and found to be the best quality in the store (to my eyes and by the rating/grading system) was part of another piece of jewelry; I asked them to take the stone out of one of that and set it on the band I chose. They had it done in like a day or two, if I recall correctly.

I surprised her with nice ring and well-graded stone, and since she's petite and the stone was a good one, it sparkles like a motherfu--er and her friends all think it's bigger than it actually is.

All this being said, my advice is to do your research on what you're buying and shop around before making a decision. It is possible that I overpaid a bit, but we're both happy with the ring, and nearly 7 years, an S2000, house, dog, and baby later...the ring still looks good and she never takes it off. In my case I researched and shopped around for a month or two before buying. I even bought my own loupe to examine stones because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was buying.

So again, just do your research and accept that you're never going to get a phenomenal deal...but you can probably pay a fair amount for a quality product. And, as with anything: You get what you pay for...and the Law of Diminishing Returns does apply.

And of course...congratulations on your impending engagement.

Cheers.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:34 AM

I went with a similar route as rahul. I shopped around a bit. Found a jewler that I was comfortable with to do the setting. I went with a stone from The Jewlery Exchange. They had some bad reviews in reguards to the quality of their settings but I was only buying the stone from them. And a certified diamond is the same reguardless of who sells it to you. Then I took that stone to the jeweller I found and had them add the side stones from a pair of earrings they had in the showcase.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fey and Company jewelers is excellent and does amazing custom work. Chicago only and they have a few locations such as Naperville.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:17 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I've been researching as you all have suggested. Anyone know anything about the ratings like from GIA and all that? I notice with GIA diamonds are more expensive and I'm assuming because they are more highly rated but does it really matter if I don't get a GIA one ?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 AM

As long as it looks "clean" to you, I wouldn't think it would matter where you get it from. That being said, I don't know your girlfriend and she might have completely different standards than me...I'm pretty easy to please...

Quick Reply: Engagement ring suggestions ?