Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Engagement ring suggestions ?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 1,169 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Advice my old uncle gave me, 'go cheap, for now, then in 5 years, if she's still there in 5 years, upgrade it'
Try to find a YouTube of Joan Rivers on engagement rings for further advice. 1980s vintages are best. She used to go into the audience and could usually tell first wife from second wife by the size of the diamond. Second wife won't put up with a tiny diamond!

-- Chuck
Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pacent
I’m not sure I agree with Rahul. Someone who buys a ring usually has a set amount of money to work with. Maybe if the OP stretches, he can spend maybe more 10% more money to get the stone he wants, but its unlikely all of a sudden he will double his budget because through research he finds he needs to get a perfectly cut, internally flawless, D color, perfectly proportioned, no fluorescence generating diamond with amazing brilliance and scintillation. No one shopping for a Camry is going to buy a Porsche (typically speaking).

Now with that said, with something as subjective as jewelry, wouldn't you want to be objective as possible to make the best possible decision? Everyone knows the mark up on jewelry is ridiculous, especially with retail stores. What research can do for him is maybe make him realize, maybe he can allocate his money towards a stone with slightly heavier carat weight, if it doesn’t have to be IF, and just VS2 and eye clean, or maybe diamond A is much better than diamond B because diamond B has too thick of a table whereas the proportions of diamond A is exactly where it needs to be to give off the most fire. Beyond that, OP can shop at home without a salesguy pushing whatever product he currently has onhand. I can go on, but hopefully you get the idea….
I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing here. I didn't say I pull the trigger when I see the hot-shit versions of something. I just typically want the hot-shit versions of something. Like I said, I think more knowledge about a product before purchase is a good thing. However I do think that there's a point at which the minutia that differentiates A from B can hinder one from making a decision more than it helps. Not always, but sometimes.

To use your example of proportions of A being better suited to sparkle than B... I'd take that information as a subset of qualities that contribute to Cut, and the resulting sparkle being attributed to Cut, Clarity and Color.

I think we're both agreeing on some level. More knowledge and research is helpful. I think where we disagree is that I think there's a point of diminishing returns when accruing knowledge about something that you're only likely to go through once.

Either way...the OP is going to be proper f-cked when he/she says, "Yes! OMFG ASDFQWERTY FCUK YES!!!"

Just kidding. Congrats again...

And if Pacent still disagrees with me, I agree with Pacent.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Thank you all so much for then advice and information. I can say that I took everyone's suggestion to heart. Did a ton of reading and went to a bunch of places. I found a place that was perfect for me. Small family owned and they had my best interest in mind. Found the perfect diamond for me and gave me one heck of a price. It all worked out.

She said YES btw !!!!! Before we could go back and get then ring finished (custom made) we are looking at venues to have the wedding since it seems they book out pretty quick. So any suggestions from anyone would be taken.

Again thanks everyone so much for all the information and support.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Congratulations!

You can still back out though...there's still time. Just kidding...not really. Cheers, bud.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM

My advise is stay single. Women are miserable in the long run.
In 5-10 years you will find out.
Anyway good luck.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TofuProductions
Long long ago, I used to work in the jewelry market..
If you want a great deal - feel free to PM me.
Where I used to work at is where I got my engagement ring for my fiancee; 18k white gold, D color, VS1, 1 carat, brilliant round cut - for a really good price (including lifetime full coverage warranty).

Early congrats, by the way.

How much are we looking at here?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 AM

Congrats! having just gotten married myself, i can tell you that most venues book about about a year. now for the hard part of planning of wedding!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 AM

congrats!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:52 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,666 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Congrats lumpy
Old 10-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharps SSS
My advise is stay single. Women are miserable in the long run.
In 5-10 years you will find out.
Anyway good luck.
stay classy, Sharps SSS.

Congratulations, Lumpy! I remember helping Phong (jeggy) out with his process, and seeing all that motivated me to not rush into anything. If you can commit that to her, she's gotta be special. Best of luck in the planning and future!

Quick Reply: Engagement ring suggestions ?