Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Looking at car with engine swap

Old 11-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at car with engine swap

Hi i just wanted to introduce myself to the UMW forums...I have been a member for a few months but have been lurking around the forum for a year.

I am looking for an s2000; I came across a s2000 that is close to me (going to see tomorrow).
I have not sat or driven one...none were close enough or they were sold by the time...

I did post this in the "what's it worth" thread but haven't got any responses...hope someone hear could help me value this car.
The honda dealership that did the work was Bob Lindsay Honda(Peoria)...any input (Our family has an Acura and we are not confident with Bob Lindsay Acura for doing anything more than little stuff...)

2002 s2000 (107,xxx miles)
-koni yellow adjustable shocks
-injen cold air intake
-skunk 2 drop springs

3x,xxx miles ago (all done at honda dealership, matching vin paperwork)(owner says previous owner forgot to put oil cap and original engine...)
-brand new f20c engine
-clutch and flywheel
(does anyone know what this would cost?... receipts totaling to 12,500)

owner says exterior is 7/10 and interior and top are in good shape
I am taking a look at the car on the weekend...
seller is asking 12.5k...so what's it worth(winter pricing)
Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Welcome to the UMW!

As far as pricing it is a bit high i would think. Two years ago i picked up an immaculate sebring silver 02' from Chicago area with 46k miles for 13k (This was January-February)

I would highly suggest going to look at the car and reporting back. Some people have a vastly different grading scale then others when it comes to the exterior of vehicles.

- Andy
Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with ^^^^

*******This is all with the assumption that the overall condition of the car is good-excellent*******

A dealer swap with a new long block would definitely cost ~$12.5k. Who the hell gets work like that done at a dealer?!!!???

12.5k would be an ok price for mid summer. You can add a little more money because of the newer motor, but people will always see the chassis mileage, and that will mostly dictate the price. Right before winter like this people are desperate to get rid of cars like this, so with that said I would say if you can get it for ~$10.5k you're doing pretty good. If they're motivated to sell it, they'll let it go for that much.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 PM

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner... I could not go to see the car due to the weather(raining and tornado warning;tornado destroyed homes about 35 miles from me...) I am going to see the car this Saturday and will keep you guys posted
Old 11-21-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello and welcome!

By any chance is the car located near Peoria? I was toying with the idea of going down that way Friday, and I'd be more than willing to take a look at it with you if you so wished. I've owned 2 S2000s and worked on dozens, so I'd be delighted to give it a thorough examination.

Feel free to PM me with details if this interests you at all.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 AM

I looked at the car yesterday...Here are the imperfections:
Exterior:
-rear bumper: 2in. scrape, 5-7 paint chips
-rear right quarter panel: 3-5 1/2 in. scratches (all together in one spot)
-rear left quarter panel: 2 1/2 in. scratches
-right door: 1 chip near rear
-right (below door): 3 inch scrape/black mark
-right fender: 3-5 paint chips near front, 2-4 1/2 in. scratches near wheel well, quarter to dollar coin size dent
-left fender: 3-5 paint chips near front
-front bumper: 10-15 paint chips, upgraded ap2 bumper...no holes for side air ducts?, cracks near headlight
Interior:
-driver seatne tiny hole(not even penny size)...normal wear(doesn't look like it has been through 107,000 miles)
-dash replaced(like new): original had a air/fuel ratio which the owner didn't like(showed pics)...vin does't match on dash
driving:
the owner took me for a ride everything was fine...

my dad said engine didn't feel as smooth as miata nc (is it just how these cars are?)
(my dad didn't take the car above 6000 rpm)

I went through the kbb condition quiz and it gave the car a rating of good...so what's it worth(don't want to lowball him)...owner already took ad down and said if i don't buy it he will wait till summer to sell it.