Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

I.C.B.C...argh!...options?

Old 07-28-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I.C.B.C...argh!...options?

Moving to B.C. from Calgary...car insurance is going to be $2500 more for our 3 vehicles. I guess they only give new residents a max of 8 years of clean driving records...not sure if this a big factor. Isn't there some part of car insurance in B.C. where you can get private coverage...and is it worth looking into?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM

I moved here from calgary about a year and a half ago and ran into the same predicament youre in now. There's really not much you can do. Basic insurance must be purchased through ICBC, while extended insurance can be purchased through a private company. Unless your roadstar and have had a clean driving record for more than 10 years it's not really worth it. You pretty much have to bite the bullet and splurge the extra dough on the insurance. Alberta insurance is wayyyyyy cheaper, I'm all for private insurance over government...good luck though!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 AM

if you drive safe, just use a calgary driver's licence and plate.. if you dont' get pulled over, just say you travel back and forth and that you live in calgary half the time, they can't get you for that... just see if you can find a car insurer in calgary that will be ok with that...

i was a student when i did that but i have a feeling that you're not...
Old 07-29-2005, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by ttang,Jul 29 2005, 01:06 AM
if you drive safe, just use a calgary driver's licence and plate.. if you dont' get pulled over, just say you travel back and forth and that you live in calgary half the time, they can't get you for that... just see if you can find a car insurer in calgary that will be ok with that...

i was a student when i did that but i have a feeling that you're not...
funny that you mention that...I am travelling back and forth for work...but my family's base is on the Island. I am already going to keep my licence and insurance until the end of the year for tax purposes... maybe I'll see how long I can continue to do it.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:09 AM

Not to sound like a stick in the mud... I agree that this approach might be cheaper and will probably keep the police happy, but if you happen to be in an accident, when the insurance company investigates, they might figure out what has been going on and deny your coverage.

In BC, we have an odd system where the amount you pay depends on your postal code. It is cheaper to insure on the island than in the Lower Mainland. I knew a guy that would use his mothers address on the island for insurance purposes, but in reality lived in Vancouver. Long story short, he was in an accident, ICBC figured out his game, and then denied his coverage. Luckily for him, he only had to cover repair cost as nobody was injured. Had someone been hurt, he would be in very rough financial shape now. You gotta ask yourself if it is worth the risk?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:42 PM

true... that is very true..

note my disclaimer: "just see if you can find a car insurer in calgary that will be ok with that..."

you would really have to prove that you drive back and forth...

i guess a better idea would be to go with a private insurance... just find any insurance broker and i'm sure they'll have plans for private insurance, you just have to buy the first $200,000 of laibility with ICBC (or somthign like that)
Old 08-03-2005, 12:45 PM

...thanks for the tips...I think I will just do things above board and deal with the pain..or at least minimize it through the private route.