Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Importing a vehicle to BC from WA

Old 11-20-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a vehicle to BC from WA

Have any of you imported your cars from the US to Canada?

I currently reside in Seattle, and I want to export my S2000 to Vancouver for my father to have.

I'm trying to plan the logistics to be as easy as possible, and I am hoping my father can make one trip down here to pick up the car. This is a brief synopsis of the process from the research I have done so far. Any insight or corrections would be much appreciated!

1. Notify US customs 72 hours prior to exportation, and send copy of certificate of title.

2. Have by dad visit ICBC to get temporary insurnace before he comes to Seattle.

3. When my dad comes to seattle, visit the DMV to transfer ownership and obtain a temp permit to drive the car in WA.

4. Drive the car up to border, and go straight to Canadian border guard, notify of intent to import vehicle...and the rest should be guided by them.

The specific question I have is whether step 3, transfer of ownership can take place after I notify US customs since it seems all they require is the title...

Again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark
Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 AM

For a complete set of instructions visit the following site:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

It is the Canadian registrar of imported vehicles. They list everything you need to do.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the link.

The thing I'm trying to clarify is whether, my dad needs to make two trips to Seattle to get the car.

If the title needs to be in his name before sending to customs for their 72 hour processing time, then I don't see a way around coming down here twice.

But if the title can be in my name, and filled out to be transferred to him, then I can send up to customs and have him come down 72 hours later to transfer the title at the dmv then bring the car back on the same day.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 PM

I dont think the title has to be in his name. But i'm not 100% sure. they must do a search on the car. that's why the require the 72 hour waiting period. You might want to talk to them. I just brought an S2k up through washington, just finished the importation process today. Once he gets it into canada he has to jump through some hoops as well.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 AM

the title does not have to be in his name.. all you have to do is make a bill of sale in his name and then you are good.. contact the border and they will give you a form that needs to be filled out..

you submit this form a bill of sale and the title 72 hours before crossing.. i would submit it earlier though if you want it out on a specific day cause i ended up getting delayed a day. you dont need to submit them in person you can just scan and email them but you do need all the original documents at the border
Old 11-22-2006, 09:12 AM

oh you should also get the recall letter for your dad before you export it.. that will make it much easier for him because its a pain in the ass to get it from honda as they dont like the whole grey market importing thing
Old 11-22-2006, 05:16 PM

awesome, thanks for the tips.

One last question - if the car is purchased in the US from a private seller, is WA state tax paid?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Markus01,Nov 22 2006, 06:16 PM
awesome, thanks for the tips.

One last question - if the car is purchased in the US from a private seller, is WA state tax paid?
if the buyer is not a resident of WA state, then no.
I guess, in your case, you'll have to pay the sales tax in BC once you
have imported the car into Canada, but then again, there's a loophole.
You'll find out what it is once you get to Motor Vehicle's Branch when you
register the car.

The question I should be asking you then is Why do you even want
to import the car to Canada when you can drive it back and forth in
to the states and Canada?

good luck!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 PM
woo

Originally Posted by Markus01,Nov 20 2006, 10:11 PM
Have any of you imported your cars from the US to Canada?

I currently reside in Seattle, and I want to export my S2000 to Vancouver for my father to have.

I'm trying to plan the logistics to be as easy as possible, and I am hoping my father can make one trip down here to pick up the car. This is a brief synopsis of the process from the research I have done so far. Any insight or corrections would be much appreciated!

1. Notify US customs 72 hours prior to exportation, and send copy of certificate of title.

2. Have by dad visit ICBC to get temporary insurnace before he comes to Seattle.

3. When my dad comes to seattle, visit the DMV to transfer ownership and obtain a temp permit to drive the car in WA.

4. Drive the car up to border, and go straight to Canadian border guard, notify of intent to import vehicle...and the rest should be guided by them.

The specific question I have is whether step 3, transfer of ownership can take place after I notify US customs since it seems all they require is the title...

Again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark
I have a friend who works for ICBC that imports vehicles from the states, as a side job. You'll have to pay him for his time, but i'm sure it's worth the hassle. Let me know if you are interested.