Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

need advice on a ap2

Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

^Congrats & welcome! Fwiw, the internet sales manager at the Honda Way, Sokha, is a former S2000 owner and should be quite familiar with these cars. He still posts on here from time to time as well.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and Sokha also sponsors events with us from time to time.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most US import s2ks are probably purchased from auction by the dealers.
These may have a bit more problems than the local s2ks which are ended up
at the dealers as a result of trade-in. When they buy it from auction, they
don't see the history in detail. they pay attention to the price more.

But if you go to WA and check out s2ks at the dealers, there are no differences.
Some of s2ks are Washington state local and some others are purchased
by dealer from California or Florida auction because there are way more and better
used cars in CA or FL.

I think what is even worse then US import is the vehicle from Ontario or Quebec.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 AM

Also keep in mind a clean car fax/car proof/icbc report is not the end all and be all. They will only show previous claims if the owner fixed it through insurance.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM

ill be checking out hondaways s2000 tomorow. ive talked to sokha and he said that they buy cars in the us from owners and not auctions or dealers. im not in the biggest rush to buy a s2000 so ill definately do my homework before i jump into buying.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 PM

Tell Sokha Dave said hi! He will cut you a deal
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM

hey thanks dave! i couldnt make it to honda way on monday, something important came up. reading the other topic from ej2 from a few months back it opened my eyes!! i didnt know that only 2500 s2ks where sold in canada while there was about 50000 sold in the states!! wow. mind boggling. i will not overlook us s2ks from now.

i checked out vancouver honda on marine, they have a 2005 bb s2k. ad said no accidents. got there and carproof showed 5 claims. 1 for about 2000 and another for 9000. other 3 where around 1000. looked deeper into the 9000 claim and found a whole shit list of parts replaced. ie engine mounts, tranny mount lca etc. sooo im gonna pass on this 1.

found a private seller with a 2005 gpw on cl. texted him and he said no accidents and local. looked at the car 1st thing i noticed was front bumper was repainted. asked him and he said he doesnt know about it. top had a big slash that was poorly fixed. i asked him again if it was local and he then told me it was from back east, BUT ITS LOCAL NOW!! lol

so the hunt still goes on...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM

As well as using CL, have you tried looking up s2ks on Kijiji? I've seen some clean-looking, low mileage ones for sale on there.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 PM

I found mine on Auto Traders ..., Out of Florida. As for the Honda Way, you should check it out for yourself. You can always walk away, or they may have exactly what you want. Paying a bit more may give you some piece of mind in that they will probably provide a warantee on a US car without having to cross the boarder. I would assume they stand behind their products. At worse it gives you something to judge by. Good luck with the purchase and hope to see you out to a meet at some point.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
ej2

Originally Posted by hopalong
hey thanks dave! i couldnt make it to honda way on monday, something important came up. reading the other topic from ej2 from a few months back it opened my eyes!! i didnt know that only 2500 s2ks where sold in canada while there was about 50000 sold in the states!! wow. mind boggling. i will not overlook us s2ks from now.

i checked out vancouver honda on marine, they have a 2005 bb s2k. ad said no accidents. got there and carproof showed 5 claims. 1 for about 2000 and another for 9000. other 3 where around 1000. looked deeper into the 9000 claim and found a whole shit list of parts replaced. ie engine mounts, tranny mount lca etc. sooo im gonna pass on this 1.

found a private seller with a 2005 gpw on cl. texted him and he said no accidents and local. looked at the car 1st thing i noticed was front bumper was repainted. asked him and he said he doesnt know about it. top had a big slash that was poorly fixed. i asked him again if it was local and he then told me it was from back east, BUT ITS LOCAL NOW!! lol

so the hunt still goes on...
Hi Hopealong,

As you may have already realized/ decided, forget about the 05' BB S2K at Vancouver Honda on Marine. I checked that one out as well and it did not feel right; the salesperson was not being honest, the car's exterior (i.e. paint) was in horrible condition for an 05', it had an extensive collision claim (as you had mentioned) and the price is way too high for what it is imo.

During my extensive and exhausting search for an S2K, I came to realize that the majority of S2Ks will have been in an accident at some point of its history. What is important is for you to weigh the pros and cons of each car you test (i.e. preference with color, interior, history/ previous claims, mileage, price, and arguably most importantly, the present condition of the vehicle). If you come across a vehicle you are serious about, passes your preliminary visual inspection, and fulfills all your preferences and prerequisite for your ideal S2K, check it out with an ICBC history report, CARFAX, liens check, AirCare history report (free online) if the age is appropriate, and most definitely have a reputable garage do an inspection for you.

Please take your time and don’t settle for less, an s2000 tailored to your specific needs and requirements will show up if you’re patient enough and are on top of the ball on new listings. As many members on S2Ki have advised and suggested, importing one from the states will open up your market a great deal, it would be beneficial to be more flexible on the idea of importing one yourself. Good luck on your search and I’m sure you’ll find the perfect one for you!

Arthur