Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

where to live in vancouver, relocating from US

Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to live in vancouver, relocating from US

Hi everybody. I'm going to be relocating temporarily to vancouver for 14 months with my wife and one year old daughter from Chicago. We're both still young (relatively so no smart remarks at 30 years old. We would like somewhere that is going keep us busy, good restaraunts, shopping, arts, clubs, and etc.

My job is willing to put me up in the city if I want. they're going to get me an apartment/home and will allow me around 2500 USD/month for rent. I need at least a 2 bedroom.

My office will be in Burnaby. It seems a bit away from the City of Vancouver but I'm willing to accept a commute as long as the area is good for my wife and baby. They'll need to be kept busy for the next 14 months. I've heard good things about the West End but am looking for some feedback from locals.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Welcome! With 2500 for usd for RENT, you can stay with the premier!( aka govenor). You will not be acostomed to our smaller arteries of hiways. Most streets from where your from will mostly be larger then our HIWAYS.

Life is good anywhere in vancouver with clubs obviously in down town. Everything is about 15 mins drive apart if your in the center of Vancouver. Depends on what your family orientation is going to be. Personally the further away from vancouver you get ( suburbs ) you will be better off with lower crime, less drug activites ect... But then again, Vancouver is grow op central no matter where you live soo.. all rhyme or reason is out the window.

Good luck, the vancouver S2k scene sucks ass. Not too many people give a shit about the forum no more, either thier too old or just dont really care. there is a hand full of people who actually contribute to the board on a dailey basis. s2k whores like me.

Good luck, feel free to ask away. You will love it here, no matter where you live!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:10 AM

Richmond is good, lots of asians though, so if he hate the seeing lots of asians don't come to Richmond (it's overwhelming), although I've lived there all my life and i'm totally use to it (helps when your skin is asian color too), it's close to Vancouver but not so close to Burnaby (I use to work in Burnaby it was 1.5 Hours of commuting everyday at least combined) I would suggest stay in the Vancouver West area, not West Van but Vancouver West (confusing at times) which would be closer to Burnaby or even the Downtown area. Anywhere else like new west, surrey, langley, coquitlam, try to stay away from, they have less to do there and they are really not the best area's in my opinion unless you want to be farther away from the city and maybe get robbed (j/k) Richmond/Vancouver/Downtown those are good bets for sure, lots to eat if you are in or around those areas and commute won't be more than 45 minutes.

MR2S2k stop hating on the Vancouver S2K owners, just because 99% of the people can't read english probably or type properly and want a everything at a bargained price with no tax LOL
We leave the posting up to the people who are not chinglish or who have lots of time of their hands, like you
Old 07-06-2006, 07:28 AM

How about around the Metrotown area in Burnaby? this will put you close to the office and easy access to a major mall. Downtown Vancouver is only 15-20 minutes away. It's a pain getting in and out of downtown Vancouver during rush hour. If you work in Burnaby and stay in Vancouver you'll waste all your time sitting in traffic going to and coming back from work.

Where about is your office in Burnaby?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Indecision,Jul 6 2006, 09:28 AM
How about around the Metrotown area in Burnaby? this will put you close to the office and easy access to a major mall. Downtown Vancouver is only 15-20 minutes away. It's a pain getting in and out of downtown Vancouver during rush hour. If you work in Burnaby and stay in Vancouver you'll waste all your time sitting in traffic going to and coming back from work.

Where about is your office in Burnaby?
my office will be at 8800 glenyon parkway in burnaby. If I stayed at the West End, how long would it take to get too and from the office in rush hour? How about public transportation?

I probably won't bring the s2k unless they'll pay for it. I'll probably have to store it for the duration.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:46 PM

For public transportation, we have the skytrain, but its not the greatest. I would also suggest an apartment in Burnaby. Thats easily your best bet. Our roads/traffic, even on a sunday night, is a total joke.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 PM
MIC

Originally Posted by philipf22,Jul 6 2006, 05:56 PM
my office will be at 8800 glenyon parkway in burnaby. If I stayed at the West End, how long would it take to get too and from the office in rush hour? How about public transportation?

I probably won't bring the s2k unless they'll pay for it. I'll probably have to store it for the duration.
You're not going to be working far from where I live. I think west Van will be a long commute (easy 45 minutes each way). Maybe you can look into some apartments in Burnaby. There's so many new apartments going up these days, it's crazy. Since I drive by a few of them on my way to work, I'll try to take note of some names and phone numbers for you.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

The best place I suggest(for your situation)is Burnaby North,It's close to your work and downtown Vancouver is a 15 minute drive and Burnaby North is a really nice area(and expensive,so there won't be any crack houses in the area)of Burnaby,Stay away from the Metrotown(crackhead central)area.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:08 AM

Since you are going to be here for 14 months, I would suggest you fly out for a weekend and I'll show you around. There are many choices. The westend is great for adults, but not so great for kids... I would say:
1/Stay away from any bridge crossing (Richmond, Surrey,North Vancouver and West Vancouver). While some of these ar nice areas, the commute can be a pain in the rump.
2/for $2500 per month you can rent a nice house in Burnaby, Coquitlam, or Port Moody. These are reasonable areas and fairly close to where you will be working.
3/If your priority is a dynamic, urban lifestyle, then I would consider Yale Town. This will put you close to the club action, good food, arts and cultural events. As with the West End, this will most likely involve living in a highrise, which I think tends to be hard on younger kids.

Seriously, your company will probably offer to send you out to scope things out (if they haven't already done so) and I would be more than happy to show you around town.