Nevada S2000 Owners Las Vegas, Nevada and area

Going to Vegas soon, Need travel advice

Old 12-12-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Vegas soon, Need travel advice

Hi,

I'm going on a 4-day vacation with my girlfriend this Xmas The last time I went there, I was 11yr old and barely remember much of it. I have a few questions for those who live there or have travelled there.

We're going to be staying at the MGM grand. I think we'll just stay around that area and won't go far to other places. We'll also visit some famous hotels there like the NYNY, Mirage, Bellagio, etc.

1) Do we have to rent a car? Or is it close enough between hotels/locations that we can simply walk? If we have to rent a car, is there any car rental company that supplies GPS systems?

2) Restaurant recommendations please We love sushi, seafood, or simply good american food. Price might be a concern as we can't afford those really fancy expensive restaurants. I'm thinking to spend no more than $35~$45 each meal for 2 before tips.

3) Any shows that are absolutely must-see? We've bought the tickets to the David Copperfield show and that's about it.

4) Anything that I didn't ask/mention in this post that you'd like to give me advice/recommendations. Thanks!

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it. Cant wait to go.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:47 PM

1) Ny Ny is right across the street. All within walking distance. Mirage is the farthest you'll have to walk. There's also a tram as well as shuttles that run on the strip. Wouldn't bother with renting a car unless you want to go see the hoover dam or something.

2) There's a place inside the Hard Rock called Mr. Lucky's. Good American food. The other places i can think of are too far for you to walk. I tend to stay away from the strip as much as possible. There's lots of places to eat on the strip though. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just don't go to Denny's on the strip. Bleh.

3) Comedy show at Harrah's is good. Improv night at Harrah's i think its called. Also "O", Danny Gans, Mystere, Cirque Du Soleil, and hang out at Fremont street just once. It's somethin' to see.

4) Get ready for bumper to bumper traffic. Cab drivers are crazy. Watch out for the cross-walks, they'll run you over. Use the walkways that go over the street.

Lastly, make sure you wave at any SRT-4's that roll by....

Hope it helps.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Administrator

There's actually a decent sushi place in MGM Grand. Don't remember the name of it but I'm sure there's only one in that hotel It wasn't too expensive either if I remember correctly.

Here's another vote for Mr Lucky's too. Good cheap food there.

Any of the Cirque de Soleil shows are worth seeing (I think there are four of them in town now, pick one). Blue Man Group at Luxor is very good as is Penn & Teller at the Rio
Old 12-14-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Dec 13 2004, 06:28 PM
There's actually a decent sushi place in MGM Grand. Don't remember the name of it but I'm sure there's only one in that hotel It wasn't too expensive either if I remember correctly.

Here's another vote for Mr Lucky's too. Good cheap food there.

Any of the Cirque de Soleil shows are worth seeing (I think there are four of them in town now, pick one). Blue Man Group at Luxor is very good as is Penn & Teller at the Rio
Shibuya?

I've heard it's quite good, but also slightly expensive.. haven't been there tho.

Mr Lucky's is always a good bet. Can't beat their steak and eggs. Also, last time I ate there, Flavor Flav walked by! lol
Old 12-14-2004, 02:16 PM

my favorite place is battista's hole in the wall. it an italian restaurant just off the strip the meals come with all you can drink house wine great food and great service if you do go there ask for mike long he is the head waiter and tell him mike lynch sent you my dad and i go ther once or twice a week. its on flamingo and audrie across the street from bally's sports book
Old 12-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NoIP-S2000,Dec 14 2004, 02:59 PM
Shibuya?

I've heard it's quite good, but also slightly expensive.. haven't been there tho.

Mr Lucky's is always a good bet. Can't beat their steak and eggs. Also, last time I ate there, Flavor Flav walked by! lol
Yep, I think that's it. I don't remember it being unreasonable for Sushi, and quite good. Of course my frame of reference is $150 lunches at Hatsuhana in NYC.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:05 PM

Thanks for all the responses

I've saved the link to this thread and monitor it everyday. So if anyone has more advice please keep them coming!
Old 12-16-2004, 11:52 AM

Another really good interactive show that includes a dinner is Tony and Tina's Wedding at the Rio. Just check and make sure it is still there. The Hard Rock is a really cool place to go, but I wouldn't want to walk there from the MGM.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:10 AM

Now this is good timing. I've just booked 9 nights at the Mirage in Feb and was fishing for ideas. (First trip)

[QUOTE=Ludedude,Dec 14 2004, 02:28 AM]Any of the Cirque de Soleil shows are worth seeing (I think there are four of them in town now, pick one).
Old 12-21-2004, 11:02 AM

I've seen Zumanity and the new Cirque show, Ka (at MGM), and I'd have to say Zumanity > Ka.