Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can scalloped tires cause unbalance?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can scalloped tires cause unbalance?

I'm tried to balance my rear wheels twice and was told by the first shop the rears were out of round. I didn't really consider this an issue until I noticed a vibration above 75mph. I decided to take it to another place to try and balance the rears again, they balanced it without saying anything so I assumed its all good. However, the vibration is still there if not worse.

I did notice the tread wear is cupped/scalloped, can this be the cause of the imbalance? I hope the rim isn't bent because there are zero signs of visible damage.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only out of round tires will, cupped will just make more noise.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC badly cupped tires can oscillate at certain speeds resulting in vibration.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by mister x,Jul 31 2009, 06:09 PM
IIRC badly cupped tires can oscillate at certain speeds resulting in vibration.
That makes sense since the vibration gets the worst at 75mph.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 AM

If something was out of balance, you'd feel it all the time, not just under high speeds. It seems to me that you and I (also have the same problem) have the classic symptoms of CV pitting. Our cars rear axles are notoriously known for the CV's to get pitted on the inside and cause a vibration that is present either under acceleration or high speeds.

Originally Posted by negcamber
You have 2 reasonably priced options:
- 1) Swap the CV buckets from driver's to passenger side and vice-versa. This costs time and requires some mechanical skill (if you installed your own coil overs you can probably tackle it).
- 2) Install 2-piece half shaft spacers. They'll cost $150-200 There are also 1-piece spacers that are cheaper, but they take nearly as much time to install as it would to swap the CV buckets...and that is free.
Is option 2 worth it?
Read up here -> https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10548518

**T1R 2-piece half-shaft spacers are my next purchase.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by NightRider,Aug 1 2009, 05:01 AM
If something was out of balance, you'd feel it all the time, not just under high speeds. It seems to me that you and I (also have the same problem) have the classic symptoms of CV pitting. Our cars rear axles are notoriously known for the CV's to get pitted on the inside and cause a vibration that is present either under acceleration or high speeds.

Originally Posted by negcamber
You have 2 reasonably priced options:
- 1) Swap the CV buckets from driver's to passenger side and vice-versa. This costs time and requires some mechanical skill (if you installed your own coil overs you can probably tackle it).
- 2) Install 2-piece half shaft spacers. They'll cost $150-200 There are also 1-piece spacers that are cheaper, but they take nearly as much time to install as it would to swap the CV buckets...and that is free.
Is option 2 worth it?
Read up here -> https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10548518

**T1R 2-piece half-shaft spacers are my next purchase.
I don't think this has anything to with my issue. My car started doing this after I put a set of used wheels (RPF1s) on my car. With my OEM wheels, car was extremely stable.

As far as an unbalanced wheel, a slight imbalance is only noticeable at high speeds so its not necessarily all the time.

An interesting thing I noticed today was how my car behaved with this new wheel/tire combo. The RPF1s are fine but I have Kumho Mx on front and Cooper Zeon in the back. When I'm driving 60mph I jerked my steering wheel from left to right and the car just doesn't feel planted, it would settle and wobble slightly. When I did this with my OEM wheels and Fuzion ZRis all around, the car felt completely planted and stable.

This issue is baffling me so I just bought a full set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, its a bargain for the performance (C&D did a test in July and ranked these 2nd out of a line up of ) and there is a $50 off coupon. I'll let you guys know if this issue is resolved once I get the Hankooks mounted.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 AM

Got it!