Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged from rotated tires?

Old 01-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged from rotated tires?

The morons at Lute Riley Honda in Dallas rotated my tires. Now I got my fronts on my rears and going the wrong direction too.

I didn't notice it until I drove it home.

Is there any damage this could cause? I don't I'll be going back to them. Anybody recommend a good place for service?

-Pissed
Old 01-16-2005, 07:29 PM

I'm not sure about possible damage, but this incident is beyond acceptable. How could a qualified tech not notice the obvious differences in tire sizes? I wonder if the the tech even cared about his quality of work?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:31 PM

What idiots.

I would go back IMMEDIATELY and have them change it. You could get hurt or killed driving this car around with an incorrect tire setup.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:35 PM

The front tires on the rear won't hurt anything mechanically, but the rears on the front is an issue. You're absolutely positive they rotated them front to rear? The 225's (or 245 if they're not S02's) are on the front? The rear rims won't properly mount and sit flush on the hub due to design.

If so, I would not recommend driving it if this is the case. You'd want to have the car towed to the dealership (or another if you wish) so the tires can be put back in there proper places and to have the front lug studs and nuts replaced. When the rear rim is on the front hub, there is about 1/2" of spacing between the brake rotor hub and the rim face. Having the rim mounted like that and driving around will put extra stress on the lug studs and will stretch them out.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:52 PM
WPS

no damage to have the front in the rear, in fact when you pop a rear tire you have to put the spare (smaller diameter) in the front and move one of the fron into the rear.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The center hole of an OEM rear wheel is slightly smaller than the one on a front wheel. In the same token, the front hub center is slightly bigger than the rear one. Putting the rear wheel on the front hub is not easy. They would have had to ram that sucker on there, possible making for a crooked mount and reeming out the wheel hole. When you go to take the rear wheel off the front hub and you need the strength of a gorilla to do it, you just got your answer.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No damage, if they just swapped sides (but the tires will not properly evacuate water running backwards). Could be damage with a rear to front swap as the wheels are different sizes and the hubs are different.

Get them straightened out as soon as possible.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:55 PM

This happened to me when I had a new set of tires put on about 8 months ago. The idiot put the left side tires on correct, but mounted the rightsides wrong, he mounted the front tire on the rear rim and vise versa. He also mounted the rear rim on the front. I noticed this about a month later (yeah I know, a month is a long time, but i was busy at the time) when one of the lugs was missing, and after further ivestigation noticed that the wheel as about .25" away from the rotor. Noticing this I took the car and put it on our shop lift. It took me a while to really figure out what was wrong in the situation. Anyhoo, when I took the front wheel off two of the studs broke, and of course one lug was already missing.
After discovering this I immediatly called the manager of the tire store (who at first was dumbfounded by what I was telling him) and insisted they send a flatbed for the car (I or nobody else was gonna driver my car with miss-matched wheels and three lugs missing). I also called the Honda place and explained what happened. They suggested that the right front hub be replaced because of the stress on the lugs and also that the front brake rotor be replaced because it likley ws now out of round.
I insisted, more demanded, that whe hub and rotor were to be replaced and of course the tires changed, and a complete 4 wheel alignment. They did not argue and fixed the mistake.
But if I were you I would immedialty go out and check my car make shure the wheels are in the right place and firmly against the rotors. If not this will cause undue stress on the studds and hub assembly.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:19 PM

This is another example of how important it is for we "S" owners to double and triple check the work of Honda dealers. My S has NEVER been to the dealer. I do my own work.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' dood,Jan 16 2005, 11:19 PM
This is another example of how important it is for we "S" owners to double and triple check the work of Honda dealers. My S has NEVER been to the dealer. I do my own work.
Are we related?

Quick Reply: Damaged from rotated tires?