Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did your Honda Dealer tell any of you about this?

Old 05-26-2003, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have no toe in, in the front, this can lead to tire wear quicker than neg camber.

toe in, in the rear wouldn't lead to more or excessive tire wear, would it?
Old 05-26-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

dolebludger
you may have a point about a run of bad tires.That is fast wear. I wonder if there's any information out there on Honda or bridgestone service releases. I wonder what a Bridgestone service rep would say regarding the kind of tire wear you're experiencing. I know there is such a person because they used to call on me. As I said I knew going in that they were a short lifespan tire. My Honda dealer was pretty much right on the money regarding replacement mileage.

If you find anything or come up any information or with an alternative tire that has the driving qualities and a longer shelf life I'd like to know that. I think we all would. If I run across any info I'll post it to you

fltsfshr
Old 05-26-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fltsfshr:

I may not be the guy best qualified to come up with a replacement tire that will do the job --- but since I have a few months before I go completely bald (and we have no inspection laws in OK, and it's the dry season), I'm sure going to look for it. I'll sure be talking to Alex and Jim a lot about it. In the meantime, I'm very serious about the distinct possibility that we've had some bad runs of tires. To clarify, it's not the fact that I have premature wear on the inside edges that bothers me. I understand that's from the camber (or whatever it is) that the car was designed for. What worries me is that the tread on the REST of the tire is also vanishing! I may be wrong (frequently am) but I just don't think that selling a tire with so little wear capability and not revealing that fact cuts the "legal mustard"! So I'm going to find the proper Federal agency, post it on this board, and suggest that all with this problem report it.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 06:43 PM

P.S.

Tires are not warranted by Honda, but by the tire manufacturer (Bridgestone). Honda service people know about this mess now (while they didn't two years ago when I ordered mine), but they are correct in saying it's not their problem. The separate Bridgestone warranty CONVENIENTLY does not include any kind of treadwear warranty! The "safety" angle, therefore, is the only way to put some much needed pressure on these guys.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 06:47 PM

I seemed to recall the same exact issue with the NSX years ago - I did a Yahoo search on "nsx tire wear" and the owners did win a class action:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/certificates.htm

I followed a couple of other links and found this:

"The only quality problem we've ever heard of in connection with an NSX has to do with rear-tire wear. Early editions were using up their rear tires far too quickly, sometimes in less than 5000 miles. Part of this was due to a tire compound designed specifically for maximum traction, and Honda has been working with its tire supplier - as well as making small rear-suspension adjustments - to improve on this problem."

It seems odd that Honda is repeating history here...
Old 05-26-2003, 06:53 PM

jahwerks:

Strange as it seems, even though I'm a retired lawyer, I really don't like class action suits very much. Lawyers get too much and consumers get too little (with a few exceptions) Instead, I'd like to see a forced recall and replacement by Bridgestone ---- just like Firestone had to do with the Ford Explorer tires. But is is strange that Honda seem unable to learn from its own recent history on tire selection.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by dolebludger
Sorry for the double post.
You can go back and delete one of your double posts.

I have a MY'00. Although I drive half the year on snow tires, I estimate that my SO2's are approaching the equivalent of about 15,000 miles. The fronts are almost like new. I heard about the horrible tire wear and bought another set of new tires at a deal to have on standby. I'm beginning to think my fronts are never going to wear out (an exaggeration). My rears are showing more wear on the inner half of the tread but this was expected. Next week, I plan to have those tires flipped on their wheels and used on opposite sides to even out the wear. I am hoping to get another couple seasons (maybe 10,000 miles) doing it this way.
I do not exactly drive like a kid but I don't drive it like the grampa that I am either so your situation, considering your stated age, is somewhat of an anomaly. Perhaps you did get tires from a bad batch, perhaps not. This would be extremely hard to prove and judging by the responses of many others including my own (who seem to get better than "normal" wear), your case will not likely garner much attention from the "powers that be".
Old 05-26-2003, 07:58 PM

xviper:

I don't think you can "flip" your back tires, as they are directional, and then will be turning the wrong way. I am happy that you are experiencing reasonable tread life, as has been reported by others. But if you read the other posts on this board, there are too many saying "failed state safety inspection at 6,000 miles due to bald tires" to ignore. At 8500 miles of "babying" my car, if we still had annual tire safety inspections in my state, mine would flunk! Not just on the inside edges (we all know about that) but on the outside edges too! In very few places do I have 2/32" of tread left. Aligned, balanced, and always properly inflated, and it didn't do any good.

For those of you who have experiences like mine on this otherwise great little roadster, here's a suggestion. Go to the website NHTSA. gov, and click on the icon to register a complaint about prematurely bald tires. It's a hard bunch of forms to fill out, and asks you for deaths, accidents, and property damage, and if there have been any of these that you know of, report them. I don't know of any, thank heavens. There will be a place for you to write a narrative of your complaint, and make sure that you state that your tires wore to unsafe tread depth on a certain date and mileage, and use that as the date for everything when asked. Kind of silly to use this for date of repair, as no repair is possible for a tire that is just worn out. Also, they'll ask you for info that can only pertain to one tire (like DOT number). Pick out your worst one, and include in your narrative that ALL your tires are affected. Show the date of failure as the date you discovered your tires lacked the safe 2/32" tread depth. Struggle through the form, and if enough of us do it, we MAY get some help.

Again, I am happy that your tires have performed reasonably. But some of us have needed new tires on this car before our first required oil change, and that is ridiculous!

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dolebludger
[B]What's this got to do with safety? Read Mus's post. These tires wear mostly on the inside, where it isn't apparent.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:03 PM

I think xviper is referring to dismounting the tires and remounting in the opposite direction. That way, when he moves the wheels to the opposite side, the tread will once again be pointing in the correct direction, only now he will see accelerated inside wear on what used to be the outside. Did I say that right?

Quick Reply: Did your Honda Dealer tell any of you about this?