Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good tires, balg inner edge

Old 07-05-2016, 05:04 AM
LT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good tires, balg inner edge

Ive had these Dunlop dz2 for less than 8k miles. All inner edges (about2") are worn down. I have been pushing them hard.
Question, is my alignment way off? Can I have the alignment changed so I can wear the rest of the tire surface.
sorry, I mean bald not balg (dyslexic)
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 344 Likes on 279 Posts

um. likely negative camber. tires are disposable. you can align for less camber and reduce wear, but they'll still wear regardless. the other option is to have the tires remounted. a photo tells the story and i see you haven't posted one so its all theory right now.

I have to ask...what is a balg?

darcy
Old 07-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 1,292 Likes on 970 Posts

Likely a negative TOE issue rather than camber.

My advice is to get an alignment at least as often as you buy tires. Buy a lifetime alignment if you plan to keep the car.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I run my fronts at -1.6 with -0.04 to make the tires wear evenly. You are still going to loose some thread wear. Rears are set at -2.0 with -0.05 toe on each side.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 344 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Likely a negative TOE issue rather than camber.

My advice is to get an alignment at least as often as you buy tires. Buy a lifetime alignment if you plan to keep the car.
yeah, TOE could be the issue too. I wonder if he's having any stability issues or twitchiness in the steering. Again, a photo would be helpful.

darcy
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you drive corners very hard and very often any alignment with more than about .5 or 1 degree of camber is going to wear out the inner edges first. I can tell you that from experience, even when running 0 toe. There's a good reason why most cars come from the factory with about .5 degrees of camber or less, high performance and sports cars excluded.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by freetors
Unless you drive corners very hard and very often any alignment with more than about .5 or 1 degree of camber is going to wear out the inner edges first. I can tell you that from experience, even when running 0 toe. There's a good reason why most cars come from the factory with about .5 degrees of camber or less, high performance and sports cars excluded.
This is only partially correct. The S2000 has an agressive toe curve. So any negative camber will couple up with toe changes as the tires go through a bump cycle.

S2000 front tires usually do wear a little funny...even with a stock alignment.

A little extra toe in will cure the uneven wear...but will cause slightly accelerated wear as a whole

But...no...-1 to -1.5 degrees up front will not likely make this happen on almost any car (including the S2000) that is in good condition otherwise. I know that from experience. If it does happen, the uneven wear will be gradual. Maybe a 1/32" or 2/32" difference from inside edge to outside edge in a gradual manner.

He is describing wear from toe out....likely made worse by camber. If he were to fix just the toe, he'd see much better wear. But the alignment guy will fix both while he's down there.

I'd check for worn compliance bushings and other worn parts that would cause toe out when the car is moving.

OP is likely long gone. But nobody knows when the last time was that his car has been inspected or aligned.

Quite a few normal cars come with more than -1 degree of camber on the non drive wheels or rear wheels from the factory. Accords, for example.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
I run my fronts at -1.6 with -0.04 to make the tires wear evenly. You are still going to loose some thread wear. Rears are set at -2.0 with -0.05 toe on each side.

You got your toes switched. Negative toe is toe out. It would make tire wear much worse if coupled with neg camber.

You are referring to having positive (+) toe. Or toe IN. Toe in will help to evenly wear tires on cars with negative camber.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:24 PM
LT1

Sorry, in my country balg means bald. Thank you all for input even tho everyone disagrees.
At least you are helping. My wife would have just said "quit complaining about everything"
Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 PM
LT1

to Darcyw earlier response, my steering is smooth and precise.

Quick Reply: good tires, balg inner edge