Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hankook Ventus v12 evo

Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got 225/255 for my AP2. I've done about 600 miles on them and I feel like they still need breaking in, they were incredibly slippery when I first got them, wish it didnt take so long to break in. Other than that they are super quiet, plus they were around $490 shipped on tirerack, and came with the mail in rebate for an $80 gift card.

I'm contemplating taking them to an empty parking lot to thrash the car to break them in more....
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm at 900 miles on them and its slowly getting better.

Over the weekend, I had a 230 miles drive so I lower the tire pressure down to 32 psi in the rear. At first it felt okay however the floating feeling was there.

On the way back, I increased it to 38 psi both front and rear. It feels better however on the way home, I did a high speed pull and it felt really unstable (4th to 5th, around 110), it was going side to side whereas the star spec felt really planted and stable. I don't do too many high speed runs so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to try different psi to see.

I'll tell you what though, I will never buy these tires again. I'm sticking to tires that perform even though it will cost a little more. Lesson learn. Driving the car now is not much fun
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've run my car up over 100+ mph many times since I got these tires put on just over a week ago and the tires are running true, no problems. It is difficult to distinguish between 70,80 or 90 mph without looking at the speedo. For me these tires are far better than the Dunlop Star Specs that I replaced. Sidewall stifness, while not great is also no worse than the Star Specs I had. I do miss the nice crisp turn in I got with the Bridgestones I've had, but they were twice the cost.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermonster
i'm at 900 miles on them and its slowly getting better.

Over the weekend, I had a 230 miles drive so I lower the tire pressure down to 32 psi in the rear. At first it felt okay however the floating feeling was there.

On the way back, I increased it to 38 psi both front and rear. It feels better however on the way home, I did a high speed pull and it felt really unstable (4th to 5th, around 110), it was going side to side whereas the star spec felt really planted and stable. I don't do too many high speed runs so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to try different psi to see.

I'll tell you what though, I will never buy these tires again. I'm sticking to tires that perform even though it will cost a little more. Lesson learn. Driving the car now is not much fun
These are the symptoms of running a flimsy single ply sidewall. I've been quite vocal about never running these tires on the S for these reasons in other threads. There are simply better tire options for the same price point out there for our car. I never understood why these tires became so popular.

The Star specs are dual ply sidewall tires and are up there in stiffness to the bridgtones the car came with, so handling and especially at speed is crucial here for safety. You don't have to spend big money to get a good handling tire, and you don't even need to run an extreme or max summer compound the car came with.

Instead of looking purely at the cheapest tire on the market you can get on the car, learn what quality's make a good choice for our car specifically and then choose the cheapest of those options.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with them has been so-so as well. The starspecs are on another level of tire so coming from those, the responsiveness and grip is definitely lacking. Contrary to what people have said I don't think they're very quiet. Their as loud as were my star specs if I can remember. They're pretty much what I expected though: cheap, relatively long life, comfortable, not as gripy or responsive as the extreme level tires.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by S2k Dude
For me these tires are far better than the Dunlop Star Specs that I replaced.
Can you tell us whats far better about the v12 over the SS? I'm dying to hear your expert hypothesis, especially considering you cant tell the difference between 70mph and 90mph without looking at the speedo. I need a good laugh
Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k007
My experience with them has been so-so as well. The starspecs are on another level of tire so coming from those, the responsiveness and grip is definitely lacking. They're pretty much what I expected though: cheap, relatively long life, comfortable, not as gripy or responsive as the extreme level tires.

this says it. I've owned varying levels of tires as many others have, from Bridgestone RE11 to Star specs to these. Can't expect these to perform like star specs when the specs clearly show they weren't meant to. They are definitely fine for daily driving though.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had re01 and then to star spec and finally to these v12. I have to say the re01 and star spec has perform on par and to what I expected!! and I have never, NEVER experience what I have felt with the V12. The only reason why I went with the v12 was from all the review from it saying that it was pretty good for the price point.

Anyways, for daily driving, it is good if you upped the tire pressure. I tested the performance of it again this evening and anything over triple digit is very UNSTABLE!! It felt I was on ice. If you input any major movement, it would be deadly! This was done out on a country road with no car in sight.

I would have not mind spending an extra 100 dollar for performance if I knew what I know now! From a search of different site, there has been many members experiencing what I have so maybe we got a bad batch?

oh well. I might just fork out or find another set of rims/tires to replace these. I just don't feel confident in driving with these and what is the point of having an S2k when it can't take turns confidently.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Community Organizer

^^^Thank you...
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

For those who find instability or handling "as if on ice" at higher speeds, I'd be interested to know what your rear toe settings are. If it's over 0.3deg total, you might try knocking it down to 0.2 degrees total and see what that does for you.
I'm still on squishy-sidewall low-grip winter tires (with 5 winter seasons on them), and don't have any serious confidence-destroying handling issues (just reduced grip and responsiveness).

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus v12 evo