Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What?! You're disappointed that you aren't getting 25K out of a performance tire?

I have put 11K on my set, with three track days and 2K of canyon runs, and I'm not even half way done with the rears. If these were already worn I'd have gotten my money's worth.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sse2k
What?! You're disappointed that you aren't getting 25K out of a performance tire?

I have put 11K on my set, with three track days and 2K of canyon runs, and I'm not even half way done with the rears. If these were already worn I'd have gotten my money's worth.
1. Since I put A/S on instead of a summer high performance, yes, and that was the warranty.
2. When I bought them they said 45K, a year later they said b/c of the stagger it really was 25k, then this week, which was 2+ yrs. later they were talking about 22k warranty, which, as we all know, was more in line with reality.
3. I tried to tell them when I bought them there was no way they were going to stick to the 45k warranty like a non-staggered set up.
4. If you drove your car only back and forth to work like I do every day of the year, you wouldn't feel like 11k was getting your money's worth, ha!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the Michelin warranty was 30K, and half that for rears on a staggered setup? Anyway, I think getting ~20K on a set of these is still really good. What's your alignment setup?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sse2k
I thought the Michelin warranty was 30K, and half that for rears on a staggered setup? Anyway, I think getting ~20K on a set of these is still really good. What's your alignment setup?
1. I know, I was told a different thing each time I was there; the moral is, get it in writing if you care about saving a few bucks b/c of the warranty on your next purchase, but you just won't be able to get as good a price on the next set.
2. It's just like trading in your car for a new one, you're really not getting X for your trade-in, it just appears that way on paper b/c they didn't come down as much on the one you are buying, ha!
3. Sorry, not a techie, have no idea, nor will I; I'm going to just leave it alone since it wore down to the wear bars, so who cares if the inside is worn more than the outside, it is time to replace them anyway; I'll just leave well enough alone instead of trying to find that "perfect" setup balancing between treadwear and keeping the rear anchored.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM

did you at least switch them from right to left every few thousand miles?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you sure you got the Super Sports? Those are max performance summer tires with a 30k mileage warranty. The A/S tires are the ones with the 45k warranty which is what I'm starting to suspect you actually had. In which case, yes, I'd be pissed too if I only got 21K out of them.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by shrykhar
Are you sure you got the Super Sports? Those are max performance summer tires with a 30k mileage warranty. The A/S tires are the ones with the 45k warranty which is what I'm starting to suspect you actually had. In which case, yes, I'd be pissed too if I only got 21K out of them.
1. I got the A/S Pilot Sport, no "super" to it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien
1. I don't know what the tire place did when they put the Michelins back on after the winter; noone said they could be switched around to the other side, which would change the direction of flow, I thought you couldn't do that unless they were "symmetrical," a term I picked up when they put the Continentals on; they pointed out that is an advantage the Contis had over the Michelins, which would help in my treadwear desires of a better chance of getting the 25k that the Michelins didn't afford me.
2. If what I'm saying isn't making sense, it's b/c all I know I'm just repeating from what I've been told. For years, I simply went to Sam's Club, and got what they had for my Corolla at the time, had 3 in the past 20 yrs., and also the same for my 2 del sols that I had; I didn't have to research and figure out anything, performaance wasn't an issue, and tire wear was fine, buying new tires every 4 yrs. is acceptable, even desirable, but, with the S, having to pay many times more for rear tires that would last 1/2 as long has caused me to research for the best bang for my buck!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by shrykhar' timestamp='1364607555' post='22438225
1. I got the A/S Pilot Sport, no "super" to it.
Oh ... this thread's about the Pilot Super Sport (see title). I think that's where some of the confusion's coming from.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien' timestamp='1364607291' post='22438221
1. I don't know what the tire place did when they put the Michelins back on after the winter; noone said they could be switched around to the other side, which would change the direction of flow, I thought you couldn't do that unless they were "symmetrical," a term I picked up when they put the Continentals on; they pointed out that is an advantage the Contis had over the Michelins, which would help in my treadwear desires of a better chance of getting the 25k that the Michelins didn't afford me.
2. If what I'm saying isn't making sense, it's b/c all I know I'm just repeating from what I've been told. For years, I simply went to Sam's Club, and got what they had for my Corolla at the time, had 3 in the past 20 yrs., and also the same for my 2 del sols that I had; I didn't have to research and figure out anything, performaance wasn't an issue, and tire wear was fine, buying new tires every 4 yrs. is acceptable, even desirable, but, with the S, having to pay many times more for rear tires that would last 1/2 as long has caused me to research for the best bang for my buck!

they can be moved from side to side.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports