Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: For people who have used SO-3's...
SO-3's are the better alround tyre
53.42%
SO-2's are the better alround tyre
46.58%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

For people who have used SO-3's...

Old 10-27-2001, 07:52 AM
JRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using the S03s now for over 2500 miles. I have noticed a marked improvement in ride as well as handling predictibility. I will say that if you exceed 38lbs they become a little twitchy but not to an extreme. They are highly responsive and definately show signs of much longer tread life. I'm very happy with the change over and the results.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 10-27-2001, 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So many of these post are not correct. The S03 is not and all season tire. It is a maximum performance wet and dry handling tire. For the people who have put this tire on there car and complained about soft sidewalls you need to give the tire a little time to break in. You can't compare the S02 worn out tires to a brand new full tread depth tire. Of course the worn tire will handle better. You are basically driving on a racing slick at that point. The new tires also have a release compound on the tire to get the tire out of the mold. You need to break the tire in and that may take 500 miles to do.
It is true that the S02 OE tire will handle better in the dry. While the S03 will be better in the wet traction for the life of the tire.
I also have no idea how you can tell anything about a tire when you are using 2 different tires. Sometimes tires will not work well together. You can end up with unpredictable handling
I have driven on the S03 and they are a wonderful handling tire in both wet and dry. It may not be as good in the dry as the OE tire but I don't think anyone would approach the limits of either tire on the street. If you do you need to be using competition tires on a closed track.
If you are not looking for the ultimate in the dry for the S2000 then the S03 would be a good choice.
Sorry about the lengthy answer but there are a lot of misinformation on the tire.
If I can help let me know.
Thank you

Jim 800-428-8355-364
Old 10-29-2001, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A question for those who have complained about poorer handling with S-03s on their car, or have observed poor handling on cars with S-03s mounted:

What size combination are these cars using? 205/225, 205/245, or 225/245? You probably will see bad oversteer with 205/225 or 225/245, because the dimensions of the OE tires are closer to 205/245 than to the 205/225 marked on the sidewalls. People who have mounted 225/245 competition tires have experienced bad oversteer, which they correct with a tree-trunk front swaybar. And it's not a question of the tires' quality; those tires will by far outperform the Bridgestone S-02s.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:18 AM
Banned

Sorry about all the misinformation in the previous two posts, but there is no debate that the S02JZs are a far superior tire in the dry environment. Talk to Bridgestone and Honda. I did. I have the letter, and posted it. I also personally ran on both sets of tires.

Per Bridgestone, there is no sequel or replacement to the S02JZs, just a sequal and replacement for the S02pps and that is the S03pp.

The S03pp is a superior tire in standing water.

Until a test can be performed with S02JZs on one S2000 and S03pps on another, there is no real authoritative source aside from the bulletin I have directly from Bridgestone. Its all opinions. And both Honda and Bridgestone agree that ON THE S2000 there is no equal to the S02JZ. Don't get confused if you don't know the difference between the 3 or 4 models of S02s...
Old 10-29-2001, 12:27 PM

"You can't compare the S02 worn out tires to a brand new full tread depth tire. Of course the worn tire will handle better. You are basically driving on a racing slick at that point. The new tires also have a release compound on the tire to get the tire out of the mold. You need to break the tire in and that may take 500 miles to do."

"It may not be as good in the dry as the OE tire but I don't think anyone would approach the limits of either tire on the street. If you do you need to be using competition tires on a closed track."

Right on Jim!

As for real world testing....you might want to ask Spas2000 (Keith D.) what he thinks about the S03's after our little run through the Dragon Saturday.

By the way I'm running 205/245's.

As for the theory that there is no better tire for the S2000 than the S02JZ's.........

Hmm....

Guess there's not a better clutch out there either
or brakepads
or oil
or tranny
or rear window
or stereo...........

Wonder how many JZ's Bridgestone has in inventory that they need to move?:

Thanks

Grandpaw
Old 10-29-2001, 12:43 PM
Banned

Not as many as S03s I can assure you... especially since they are having to redesign the S03s due to the issues with the tread... they have to get those sold to you guys who don't know any better...

The difference in the information is the sources... one is a salesman trying to make a buck off the new tires he has stocked up on, and one is a technical bulletin from the manufacturer to the salesman/dealer trying to set him straight on the facts pertaining to the S.... Would it not make more sense that the manufacturer send out a bulletin saying the newer tires were better for the car? Sure would enhance their stock futures... but the truth still remains.

You betcha, green paw.

But seriously all you jokers, when I see a real, professional track comparison of the S03pp to the S02JZ... on same equipment... stock S2000s with stock rims and sizes on both... then you will have a case. Until then I'll just watch you S03 guys slide out whilst I breeze on by...
Old 10-29-2001, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Silver Streak,
You are totally mistaken on some of your information. I get paid whether it is the OE tire I sell or the S-03. There is not only one tire to fit everyones needs. I try to make a recommendation for what the customer is looking for not what I have in stock. I never told anyone to buy the S03 over the S02. I give them the characteristics of both and let the customer make the decision. I am a professional who is doing the web board on my own time and I don't get paid to do it. Some people have open minds and are willing to take a look at other options if they fit there need.

There is no redesign of the S03 at this time and there is no issues with the tread so I don't know what you are referring to.
I guess I would ask you if you have made a direct comparison of these tires yourself? Both with full tread depth with a clock to time you to see how much difference you would acually have. I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference.

I have also have not said, as far as I know, that the S03 is better in the dry. But if you go to a 17" or 18" you don't have a choice of the S02 at that time and the S03 is the best performance tire aftermarket that we have tested.

I am sorry if people have misunderstood the differences in the tires but they both have there place.

Of course Bridgestone and Honda are going to say the tire they tweeked for the car is the best tire. The question is the best tire for who. Some people like a better ride and some like better wet traction and some like longer tread life.

Life is about choices and there is not a right or wrong answer.
Once again sorry about the rambling answer.
Thank you

Jim 800-428-8355-364
Old 10-29-2001, 02:19 PM

Silverstreak-

I've got a little proposition for ya.

My local club is putting on an AutoX this weekend (Sun the 4th). It's the final one this year. Why don't you pay us a visit and we can do some "real world" testing........

You on your beloved S02's

And me on my allseason S03's

Whataya say?

You could even bring some of the Atlanta crew with you. I think it would be a blast......... that is unless your afraid to let an old geezer on all seasons beat ya. Hey, if you can't make it there's an open invitaion. I'll even put you and yours up at my place to save you the hotel fare. Dinners on the "looser"
Old 10-29-2001, 02:25 PM
Banned

I understand what you are saying and none of this has been directed at you personally. In fact I have made extra care to say that you do carry the correct tires for the S2000. I'm not drawing any business from you. And I don't get paid for this either. I just don't believe that folks should fall for the 'hype' of a new tire. The information that I have is directly from Bridgestone. The number that YOU call to get tech information on tires for Bridgestone? One mile from here. I went and sat down with them. I have the correct information. Im not concerned that may facts are from bad sources.

It is true that if you run larger wheels you have little choice in the Bridgestone line but the S03pp. But stock on stock, the S03 won't stick like the S02s designed for the car.

I think everyone has the right to know all sides of the story. Fact as well as hype. I am providing facts, as I have gathered.

Yes, I have run 1200 miles on S03pp stock spec size. And I am one of the more experienced drivers on this board. And I am telling it like it is. I choose the S02JZs because my experience with the car and with the tires dictates it. It may save a junior driver from sliding himself off of one of our runs, because he followed bad advice and installed new tires with weakened sidewalls, a bald strip down the center, and a 220 treadwear rating due to harder rubber/plastic compound instead of the sticky 140/180 treadwear rating the car was designed for. Not to mention the upset in the geometry by the different sizing in the S03pps compared to the offset as designed by Honda in the S02JZ.
Old 10-29-2001, 02:33 PM
Banned

Mack,

As I indicated earlier, I am always up for a little smack down. Let's not make this personal though. And if we are truly testing for the good of the board and other members, it would have to be the same driver, same car, two different sets of tires. No bullshit or games. Kindof negates what you were after, but I am not in this for pride. Just fact. This weekend is the Blue Angels show as advertised, so we will have to hose down the decks with testosterone another time. You and I can have our fun next time we hook up, but this test would have to be a bit more pure to be accurate. Hate to embarass the entire line of S03s just because you can't shake me off your tail on a run...

Cool your jets sonny, you'll get your chance at Daddy. You're what, 5 minutes older than me? LOL

Quick Reply: For people who have used SO-3's...