Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: For people who have used SO-3's...
SO-3's are the better alround tyre
53.42%
SO-2's are the better alround tyre
46.58%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

For people who have used SO-3's...

Old 10-29-2001, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mack
"You can't compare the S02 worn out tires to a brand new full tread depth tire. Of course the worn tire will handle better. You are basically driving on a racing slick at that point. The new tires also have a release compound on the tire to get the tire out of the mold. You need to break the tire in and that may take 500 miles to do."

"It may not be as good in the dry as the OE tire but I don't think anyone would approach the limits of either tire on the street. If you do you need to be using competition tires on a closed track."

Right on Jim!
Lot of ignorance been displayed here Jim and Mack if you truly believe what you are saying above.

You are right in your statement that you can't compare the S02 worn out tires to a brand new full tread depth tire - but for all the wrong reasons. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge/ common sense knows that the OEM S02 is a dual compound tyre that has alarmingly poor handling characteristics once it wears to a certain point (and well before it starts to look anything like a slick). Putting just about any new tyre on the wheels will give you better performance compared with bald S02s.

After putting new S02s on my S2000 the vehicle was transformed compared to the old rubber - handling IMMEDIATELY (i.e straight out of the tyre shop driveway) went up a dozen notches. To suggest that one would experience poorer handling with a new S03 compared with a bald S02 is patently ridiculous.

I'm sorry Jim but comments like that do nothing for your credibility as an informed salesperson.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay. Please stop these attacks on each other or I will just delete this thread.

I posted this to get information, not so that people could beat up on each other.

Anyone who feels they need to reply to anyone else please do so in a PM.

I will delete this thread if there are any further attacks.... they are not necessary thanks....
Old 10-30-2001, 04:56 AM

Received 5,077 Likes on 3,060 Posts

We heard several opinions, including a few cheap shots, but I've heard nothing so far that would change my mind on my original post. So, I quess the opinions and confusion continues.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tokyo_james-

Hope you've found some value in the information discussed in the thread. Sorry it's gotten a little out of hand as of late.

I think the numbers in the poll you posted speak for themselves. Your original question was whether or not the S03 is a better "all around" tire and the answer is simply...

YES! it is a better "all around" tire.

As for all the other nonrelated propoganda, scare tactics that is being slung about well take that at face value.

FYI.

I'm a competitive AutoXer. I drive my car at the limit (10-10th) every weekend. I've competed in over 30 Events so far this year in my S2000. I've driven on S02's S03's and Race tires at these events. I've compared them all in an environment much more extreem than any street racing/twisties running situation. FWIW my opinion is based on that experience!

Thanks and good luck with your purchase what ever tire you choose!

Your local Ignorant grandpaw drivin' S2000 owner....
Old 10-30-2001, 06:36 AM
Banned

The facts remain as Dlq04, and myself have stated. Even others have reinforced what we have offered. Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Old 10-30-2001, 09:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read everything on S03 vs OEM S02 debate for the Honda S2000. Many threads have been posted. I have read about owners who have switched to about every other tire and many say that they liked OEM S02's better and that they'd be switching back. Some of the debate may just be personal preference and driving style.

When shopping for new tires I thought long and hard about this issue. As I understand it, in order for the S03 to have the same contact patch as the S02 you have to spec a size that is 20 mm wider than the OEM tire. Now, to me that says something right there, your trying to MAKE a different tire work as well as the OEM S02 does on the stock wheel.

So now you've got a 245 series tire on a rim that was actually meant for a 225 series tire. On Tire Racks page it shows that the optimum width for a 245 series tire is a half inch more than for the 225 series tire. So now the sidewall is bulging a bit because 245 series tire is on a rim that is only 7.5" wide and not 8" wide as recommended. The fit to the narrower rim will change how the tire performs, the tire may have a tendency to "roll" or flex more on the rim under hard cornering. I believe some people have expressed that the S03 does not have the same turn in response. That may explain it.

Personally, I just got a new set of OEM S02's this morning on the rear and I know it was the right choice for me. When considering the highly specialized characteristics of the OEM tire I believe that for now any other tire will adversely affect the handling of the car be it even slightly. I bought the S because it handled great and I don't want to spoil that, not even in the least bit.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:48 AM

I think the poll is worded badly. What does 'all around performance' mean?
-Does it include mud?
-Snow?
-Rain?
-Only street dry performance?
-Does all-around performance include tire wear?
-How about noise?
-Does it encompass price/performance issues?

The ONLY thing that I care about dry performance. Anyone who was on our group drive this weekend can tell you that we were using nearly all of our available traction driving through the mountains. I use the same tires for aggressive group driving, street and the track. This is the first of 5 or 6 similar S02 vs. S03 threads where anyone has claimed that the two tires have equal dry performance. I will stick with my S02s.

If I lived somewhere with frequent rains, I would consider the S03's, but wouldn't use them on the track or in the mountains. If I lived somewhere with snow, I wouldn't drive my S2000. Since these don't apply to me, my decision is easy.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tanqueray, I agree that those who like the OEM S02 are mostly concerned with dry traction. That's really the only time you can fully explore the limits of the car and the tire. Some of us do push the car to those limits in spirited driving so I for one want the best dry performance possible in a street tire.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2k Dude
[B]As I understand it, in order for the S03 to have the same contact patch as the S02 you have to spec a size that is 20 mm wider than the OEM tire.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Orthonormal
Please provide proof that Bridgestone is redesigning the tread pattern of the S-03 to correct problems.
I doubt that the engineer from Bridgestone would put that in writing. That would constitute the loss of his job and a probably tidal wave of returns on the S03. Be serious. His word was enough.
There were no claims in my posts, only facts. There is a fundamental difference. I listed the data that was from Bridgetone and the bulletin number.
This board is about expressing opinions. This post was soliciting them. So as I post my opinions, backed up by the facts as I have researched and listed them, so may you.
And as there are countless other persons named and not who encountered the same poor performance issues in the S03, its a matter pf personal preference which side you take.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orthonormal
[B]Repetition of claims does not turn them into facts.

Quick Reply: For people who have used SO-3's...