Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons for YokoAVS-I rear tires

Old 08-13-2002, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons for YokoAVS-I rear tires

Pros:

1. Dirt Cheap
2. Lasts longer than S02 or even S03 though the Treadwear rating is 160
3. Rain is not a problem, but my AEM CAI says otherwise

Cons:

1. Understeer, I dont feel safe going over 100mph
2. Little bit noisier than S02
3. Does not stick as well as S02

smu2k
Old 08-13-2002, 02:04 PM

Maybe you meant oversteer? Good summary.

Another pro might be more progressive at the limit with good feedback and ability to catch grip again, at least for me.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Understeer at 100 MPH is much better than Oversteer at 100 MPH. I don't see why that would be considered a 'Con'.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:12 AM

I just had a set of 235/40 17's on the back of my MR2 Turbo. I liked em'. You are talking about Yokohama AVS Intermediate b's, right?
Old 08-14-2002, 07:28 AM

are they as good or better than the S0-2's in the wet? I just came from a tire place and the guy said that the AVS-I's are useless in the rain, then proceeded to try to sell me some $150 tires. Was he just lying to try to pull me away from the cheaper tires and into some more expensive ones? Also, will the AVS-I's harden-up like the S0-2's in the winter? I plan on driving my S in the winter when there is no snow.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Prolene
Maybe you meant oversteer? Good summary.

Another pro might be more progressive at the limit with good feedback and ability to catch grip again, at least for me.
prolene:
Yup you are correct, i meant oversteer....But it does not grip as well b/c when i was going from 3rd to 4th at 45mph, i could not feel it accelerate as fast as it used to.

Offtopic:

Those WRXs are pretty fast. I kinda raced one yesterday. I was coming out of a right turn and noticed that there was a blue WRX behind me. I thought nothing of it until i heard his exhaust booming so, i floored it too; however, i was in my transition from 2nd to 3rd. I had to downshift before i "put the pedal to the carpet". The WRX was with me all through 3rd and i was ahead by one car length. Just when i was about to hit 4th traffic stopped us. That was a good rush before work

Saab:

I really dont know how it would do in winter, but i will find out in a couple of months of extreme cold in Dallas, TX. Ask jim@tirerack.com he should know.

smu2k
Old 08-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Smu2000

...But it does not grip as well b/c when i was going from 3rd to 4th at 45mph, i could not feel it accelerate as fast as it used to.
If you are breaking the rear tires loose in 3rd gear at any speed, you must have one HELL of an engine!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The AVS is not as good in the wet as the OE tires. They also will not give you any snow traction at all. They will get hard in the winter even if there is no snow.
But you can't beat the price if you need some new tires to chew up.
Let me know if I can help.
Thank you

Jim 800-428-8355-364
Old 08-14-2002, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim@tirerack
[B]The AVS is not as good in the wet as the OE tires.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:35 PM

Hmmm, I really have to disagree with Jim about the AVS Intermediate's in the wet. I find them far superior to the S02's in rain (on the road and on the track). They are however even more useless in the snow as they get much harder than the S02's did.

Though I found that they do oversteer a tad more at the limit at high speed, I only find this true if you replace the OEM's with 225's rear. If you go to 245's the balance is about the same.

At the track, they are softer in the sidewalls and tend to feel a bit squirmy. At first it feels like understeer, but once you get used to it and don't immediately try to correct your steering angle the grip just great.

As for treadwear, I found that they didn't last nearly as long as the S02's. I got about 12K out of my S02's (replaced all 4, though conceivably could have kept the fronts a little longer). That was with 3 track days at Gingerman. My rear AVS I's only lasted 7K, when the center 2" of tread delaminated at the track (one track day at Laguna Seca and one at Gingerman). Almost all of the rest of the miles were highway, driving from Chicago to Laguna Seca and back.

I attribute the poor wear and delamination down the middle to the fact that I used very high tire pressures at the track to make up for the soft sidewalls.

Clark

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons for YokoAVS-I rear tires