Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Tire Do You Recommend?
Bridgestone RE-71R
27.03%
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
27.03%
Hankook R-S3
18.92%
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
24.32%
Something else
2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

With RE-11A Gone, What is the Best AP2 Tire?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other consideration is that some people are saying the RE-71R wears quickly, so you might not get the life out of them that you're looking for. I've been very pleased with ZII's (both first edition and now SS) in terms of both longevity and autox performance.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took another moderately long drive with the Star Specs yesterday, great tires, I can confirm they might be a little on the noisy side, but again that's pretty much a non issue for me (usually have music playing, etc). I suppose I'm willing to sacrifice a little extra noise for a little extra ultimate performance. The Star Specs perform wonderfully!
I'm more concerned with how well the tires perform, as opposed to road noise. For those that want a "smoother" extreme performance tire, it is too bad Bridgestone stopped producing the RE-11, hopefully the RE-71R will be nearly as smooth on the streets..then again that seems unlikely.

However, the Hankook RS3 V2 is likely the next known smoothest extreme performance tire after the RE-11/11A.
But they do not do well in moderately cooler temperatures (sub 60 degrees) like the Star Specs, and that's mainly why I decided against them.
If I lived in the SW instead of the NW, the Hankooks may have been my choice.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Try the nearby Firestone store for the RE 11As. They got a set in for me in three days.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The poll shows how difficult this decision is. It is currently split 5-4-4-4, effectively a dead heat. Meanwhile, tires are probably the most important aspect of the car's handling and ride and a significant part of its noise profile.
Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Try the nearby Firestone store for the RE 11As. They got a set in for me in three days.
The problem would still exist if there was a tire lost to a flat or blowout. You would have to buy a complete set of the tires being discussed here.

Part of me would like to buy a set of 17x9+63 rims and put 255/40 or 245/40 square on it. However, that setup would also require an aftermarket front bar and some tuning. The large front bar would undoubtedly stiffen the ride. And that would still leave the question of the best camber for a 98% street driven car (in a best case, actual on course miles at autocrosses are probably no more than 10-20 per season with a total time of less than 30 minutes (assumes 5-7 events, and with my schedule it is more likely to be 2-3 events). For the time being I'm going to stick with the stock 215/45 and 245/40 sizes on the stock rims.

There are a few reviews out there now of the RE71R. On a race track they wear more the RE11s but not a lot more. Steering is sharp but maybe behind a Z2SS. Grip may be the best of the 200 rated tires. Wet weather is manageable. Not that half the side block grooves exit the side of the tire. The only S2k reviews are here and still a bit incomplete. The S2k is lighter and better balanced then most of the cars in the reviews. For example, the two reviews at tire rack were on a modified '07 Mustang and Focus ST. Tire Rack's on test in on a BMW 3-series. The S2k is not only lighter, but has a lower CG and better front suspension geometry.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
What would be helpful is a test of the RE-71R, R-S3, V2SS, and PSS back-to-back. Of course, that doesn't exist.
This includes the Michelin Pilot SS, RE-11, R-S3, and ZII (non SS).

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...f-200tw-tires/

http://www.hotrod.co...ear-tires-test/
Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1428736107' post='23574053
What would be helpful is a test of the RE-71R, R-S3, V2SS, and PSS back-to-back. Of course, that doesn't exist.

https://www.s2ki.com/...of-200tw-tires/

It is an interesting article...that's why I posted it.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, just got back from my 2000 mile trip to Rock the Dragon on the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports purchased for the trip (removing the Nitto Invo's). There were hours on I-66, I-81, I-40 at 60-100+ mph and they were perfect, reasonable on noise (my GReddy exhaust perhaps makes this more moot) and confidence inspiring in the rain. There were also many hours spent on the twistiest and curviest roads you will ever continuously drive with nearly continuous marked 10, 15, 20 and 25 mph curves, one after another and mostly done at double those speeds. I am thrilled with my choice of the Michelin.

I neglected in the above post to point out one of the final decision factors for me in going with the PSS. They weigh two to five pounds less per tire than any of the competitors. Reducing unsprung weight is the holy grail in racing/handling and people spend big bucks to shed ounces much less pounds. Considering how light and nimble the S2K is, even a bigger advantage.

I drove The Dragon and The Hellbender multiple times daily and most of the other roads in the area like The Devil's Triangle and Chericola Skyway while down there. I drove them smoothly in groups of S2K's, overdrove them at times by myself or trying to stay ahead of a spirited bunch on my tail and I could not give the Michelin Pilot Super Sport a better review for this car. The survey is now a complete dead heat with equal votes for all tires. That shows they are all good and perhaps that people are voting for different qualities. If you DD or pay in advance for track days and will have to run in any weather, I think this is probably the best all around choice.

BTW, my tire guy says the RE-71 is likely cheating to get to the 200 rating so it qualifies in those treadwear classes. It will likely wear even faster and pick up more rocks and road trash than any of the others. When the PSS's were hot and rolling over loose stuff they picked it ALL up as well so that is an issue with any of these tires and your paint (and they guy behind you) are at risk. The PSS has a 300 rating but I don't think you'd ever believe it based on performance.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:14 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

This is quite the loaded question because "best" is really determined by a number of factors. If you want them to be seriously competitive for auto-x, then you probably want an EHP tire. The Dunlop Z2's are a good tire, SS or not. They do adequately in the rain imo. If you intend on tracking, I'd recommend sticking with an EHP tire. The PSS's on the street will be great, but on track they'll likely get hot/greasy.

On that note there's no magical tire. You give up something to get something. In the case of the Z2's they're a bit noisy and have stiff sidewalls. Tirerack did a comparison w/ the new tires. You just have to decide what's best for you. I opted for a set of the old Z2's because the car doesn't see more than 5k miles a yr, and my bigger concern is on track performance. Even the old Z2's fall off on track and get a little greasy.. the new SS's are supposed to be better in that regard.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by EricJT7' timestamp='1429083588' post='23578348
[quote name='DavidNJ' timestamp='1428736107' post='23574053']

https://www.s2ki.com/...of-200tw-tires/

It is an interesting article...that's why I posted it.
[/quote]

lol
Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Toyo R888s