Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock seats and no harness, will I still benefit from 200 tread tires?

Old 10-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Stock seats and no harness, will I still benefit from 200 tread tires?

Well, the car is ready for a new set of tires and I do plan on tracking it. As of now, I have zero plans to put a bucket and harness in it because well... this car will be street driven 80% of the time.

Having said that, is there a point for me to even put on the stickier 200 treadwear tires? Wouldn't I just be hanging onto dear life on the track because of all of the extra grip the tires will generate?

Thanks, I would love to hear your tire opinions on an otherwise, bone stock AP1.

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

No question. Night and day.
The following users liked this post:
1993 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
No question. Night and day.
Ha, got it, appreciate the quick response!
Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

Absolutely. Do eet

I have a full STR setup on 255's with RE-71Rs and autox/track mine. Stock seats and belts with nothing extra except a CG lock, which is great for keeping your butt planted in the seat with stock belts. Does not help with upper body, but the stock seats do provide some support there.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Absolutely. Do eet

I have a full STR setup on 255's with RE-71Rs and autox/track mine. Stock seats and belts with nothing extra except a CG lock, which is great for keeping your butt planted in the seat with stock belts. Does not help with upper body, but the stock seats do provide some support there.
Yeah, once I've developed enough skills, I will look into buckets. But for now, it's an unnecessary cost.

Do you do any street driving on that car? Did those RE-71Rs sand blasted the sides of your car with road dirt and debris?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Yeah, once I've developed enough skills, I will look into buckets. But for now, it's an unnecessary cost.

Do you do any street driving on that car? Did those RE-71Rs sand blasted the sides of your car with road dirt and debris?

Thanks!
Daily it some in the summer, go on drives around here in it, autox and track nights. I now have Falkens just because they wear better on track nights and I am autocrossing an ND1 right now. But hard to say how much they sand blast it. I dont think that is really a concern. But my car is generally coverd by HAWK brake pad dust, cone marks and other stuff. It is nice and sealed and waxed underneath that, but I dont spend a ton of time washing my race car lol. Still has the last 3 nationals event stickers on the front fenders.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Daily it some in the summer, go on drives around here in it, autox and track nights. I now have Falkens just because they wear better on track nights and I am autocrossing an ND1 right now. But hard to say how much they sand blast it. I dont think that is really a concern. But my car is generally coverd by HAWK brake pad dust, cone marks and other stuff. It is nice and sealed and waxed underneath that, but I dont spend a ton of time washing my race car lol. Still has the last 3 nationals event stickers on the front fenders.
I will be swapping pads for each events. I've heard squealing track oriented pads and I honestly don't think it's something I can live with. (I plan on washing the car after an event as well if I have the time)

As for tires, my top choice would be the Hankook RS4, looks like they're the most durable of the bunch.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM

I will be swapping pads for each events. I've heard squealing track oriented pads and I honestly don't think it's something I can live with. (I plan on washing the car after an event as well if I have the time)

As for tires, my top choice would be the Hankook RS4, looks like they're the most durable of the bunch.
RS4's are great for the track days since they wear like iron and still grip pretty good. RE-71Rs are extremely fun, but wear super fast. My last set lasted 3 autox events and 3 track nights :P
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Well, the car is ready for a new set of tires and I do plan on tracking it. As of now, I have zero plans to put a bucket and harness in it because well... this car will be street driven 80% of the time.
You previously reported that your street driving is limited to surface streets with no excursions out of the city. How many miles are you putting on the car in a year? Perhaps a dedicated track wheel/tire combo is in order with a separate budget setup for your street needs.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by GuthNW
You previously reported that your street driving is limited to surface streets with no excursions out of the city. How many miles are you putting on the car in a year? Perhaps a dedicated track wheel/tire combo is in order with a separate budget setup for your street needs.
Oh, SF City surface streets are littered with dirt and debris because of the constant, city-wide construction. The end of this month will be 1 year of ownership and I've put on about 2,000 miles.

I too have thought about dedicated street/track wheels and tires. It's more of an issue of space and storage. I'm already running dedicated winter and summer tires for my other car. (I go snowboarding a lot)

And of course, dedicated wheel and tire combo would be the best. You've re-kindled that idea again, haha.

Quick Reply: Stock seats and no harness, will I still benefit from 200 tread tires?