Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire help

Old 09-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire help

i hydroplaned in my s2k in really bad rain i want to know what tires anyone can recommend me please
Old 09-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't know if there are tires I can "recommend you", but there are tires I can recommend TO you:
Tire Rack Max Perf tires, ranked by hydroplaning resistance
Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bear in mind that those are subjective reviews by consumers that likely have not driven all or even multiple of each of those. So consider any tires that are failry closely rated as even for all intents and purposes. THat said I can vouch for the COntinental DW in the rain, they are absolutely amazing. and GrassRoots Motorsports tested them to be faster than even the top extreme performance summer tires in the wet. I have never driven on the PSS in the wet but they are likely extremely good as well.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

All tires are a compromise between maximum grip in the dry and wet performance. You have to choose how much grip you want to give up in the dry for more grip in the wet. The Continental Extemecontact DW give the best wet grip while mantaining reasonable dry performance. The Dunlop Z1 Star Spec will give you the best dry grip while maintaining reasonable wet performance.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by TTMartin
All tires are a compromise between maximum grip in the dry and wet performance. You have to choose how much grip you want to give up in the dry for more grip in the wet. The Continental Extemecontact DW give the best wet grip while mantaining reasonable dry performance. The Dunlop Z1 Star Spec will give you the best dry grip while maintaining reasonable wet performance.
More accurately (based on testing from a number of sources) Hankook RS3 gives the best hot dry grip but with only adequate at best wet performance, and the Star spec gives almost as much hot dry grip as the RS3's and better cool dry grip, with very good Wet grip but not a much wet grip nor as long lasting as the DW.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252
Originally Posted by TTMartin' timestamp='1315686852' post='20961005
More accurately (based on testing from a number of sources) Hankook RS3 gives the best hot dry grip but with only adequate at best wet performance, and the Star spec gives almost as much hot dry grip as the RS3's and better cool dry grip, with very good Wet grip but not a much wet grip nor as long lasting as the DW.
In my opinion the RS3s do not offer reasonable wet performance, which is why I meantioned the Star Specs.

The Bridgestone RE11s also provide a nice balance of wet and dry performance, but, at a substantially greater cost.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by TTMartin
Originally Posted by bronxbomber252' timestamp='1315687150' post='20961009
[quote name='TTMartin' timestamp='1315686852' post='20961005']
In my opinion the RS3s do not offer reasonable wet performance, which is why I meantioned the Star Specs.

The Bridgestone RE11s also provide a nice balance of wet and dry performance, but, at a substantially greater cost.
[/quote]

After DD'ing/autox for 2 sets and autox'ing for a 3rd the only reason I no longer DD on RS3's is the longevity. I now DD on the DW's. I felt the RS3's were fine in and reasonably quick in anything excluding standing water, they did hydroplane a little easier than some other tires but it was far from dangerous, but I do agree that they are not the right tire for this guy. That said, the DW is a miracle tire in the wet.