Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Questions for Jim

Old 09-07-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Questions for Jim

Hi Jim,
I am an extremely satisfied MY03 S2000 owner and just passed the 12K mark. My S-02s still have some wear left but I want to start shopping for tires now. I've been reading this forum trying to determine what is best for me and my driving. As with every other owner here I am amazed at this car's handing and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the S-02s. Does any other car come from the factory with S-02s or was this designed for the S2000? I was on the Tire Rack site reviewing a lot of the summer max performance and even some all season tires. When I look at the reviews I see that a Michelin Pilot Sport and Sport A/S are within a couple tenths of a point of the S-02 and S-03 and has a superior wear rating and can handle a least a little snow. I live in central NJ and and also have a GMC 4x4 truck so snow is not an issue with me but I still drive it in the winter months when the forecasts are good but you know how forecasts go. Not having driven on these tires how much of a difference in the handling department does a couple tenths of a point make. I don't track it (yet) but I sure love to push in corners. I'm still learning it's limitations! I'd be willing to sacrifice a very small amount for a little more wear and the security of wet and light snow traction. Right now I'm considering the S-03 and the Michelin Pilot and Pilot A/S. The A/S only comes in a 245/50-16 rear. Is that too big? Are there any other tires I should consider? I'd prefer to stick with Bridgestones, Michelins or Goodyears but would sure welcome your recommendations. Thanks for your help!

Pete
Old 09-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It would depend on what you are looking for out of the tires. The S02 is made specific for the S2K and they are the best handling street tire I have seen for the car. Michelin does not make a tire that would be nearly as good handling as the S02.
If you want to give up some handling for better wet traction and maybe a little longer wear then there are better options. Take a look at the Bridgestone RE750 or the Yoko ES100.
If I can help let me know.
Thank you