Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hankook R-S4

Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Fokker and Rob are correct; I forgot that toe for each wheel is the difference between the front and rear edges, not just the front, hence off by a factor of 2.

Hence too much rear toe is even more likely to be a factor in faster rear tire wear.

Last edited by DanielB; 10-09-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: 11/
Old 10-09-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Following up from my previous post, I just did HPDE events at 2 different tracks back to back this weekend. I have to say I'm more impressed with the R-S4s now. They held up well, even on Saturday when the temps were above 100 F. They did not get greasy at all and were quite consistent. They do squeal a little - something the Rivals never did but that's really not important to me at the track - might matter if you push it on the street though.

The second day was not as hot, but this track has several long right handers and so the left side takes a beating. At the heat of the day, the grip level dropped a little, but the tires never felt greasy. They remained responsive to steering inputs and continued to generate more grip as additional steering input was added.

So far I have 3 track days on them with 425 miles on track and 700 miles on street. Target tire pressures were 35/35 hot and I checked pressure after each session and bled to keep the pressures close. You may be able to see a small amount of feathering on the outside blocks as well as some wear on the outside shoulder. This is on a MY00 with stock suspension except for offset ball joints to get 3.2 deg camber. So they seem to wearing reasonably well - time will tell if they last as long as the Rivals did.

All in all, I'm quite impressed with the R-S4s.
That's good feedback. The RE71Rs get greasy on track. They are borderline untouchable at autocross though.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Fokker and Rob are correct; I forgot that toe for each wheel is the difference between the front and rear edges, not just the front, hence off by a factor of 2.

Hence too much rear toe is even more likely to be a factor in faster rear tire wear.
I guess it could be rear toe. i know when i bought the car the PO had just put a new set of rear tires and he told me the car eats up tires on the rear. I just didn't imagine it could be this bad but i guess long track days with no sessions will shorten the life of any time massively. and being that i have to push hard in corners to make up any lap time i probably did a number on the tires.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by willix231
I guess it could be rear toe. i know when i bought the car the PO had just put a new set of rear tires and he told me the car eats up tires on the rear. I just didn't imagine it could be this bad but i guess long track days with no sessions will shorten the life of any time massively. and being that i have to push hard in corners to make up any lap time i probably did a number on the tires.
The more toe you add, the more you scrub the tires across the path of travel; this will rapidly wear the the tires since you are in essence dragging them across the track/road surface at high speeds for many miles.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

any more track impressions on RS4s? I am about to order new 71Rs but am giving the RS4s strong consideration. My concern so far is the lack of consistency on “good” feedback. Some feel very positive on the slight turn in response/grip levels compromise over the 71Rs, in return for longer life, consistency over 20-25 min sessions, and reasonable predictability. However, others like YouTuber Zygrene, report that RS4s are falling out (in grip) after only 15min. I’d like to also hear from those who transitioned from 71Rs or similar a similar category of tire. Thanks!