The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

Moving to Chicago!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Chicago!

Hello everyone!! I am planning to move to Chicago from NM before Christmas this year. My oldest sister lives there and wants me to live by her in the Humboldt Park area. I hear that Honda's get stolen often and since I have a soft top I don't want to risk it getting cut or my car getting vandalized. I am wondering if any of you know of a safe place to keep my car (renting a garage or whatnot) but preferably an apartment that has a garage. I am also needing roommates since I currently only have savings and no income, but I would be getting a job and dissability there.

and help is very appreciated!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raven, as Jesus and I have said before, we'll make sure to help you feel welcome as you move up here. I'll make some additional inquiries about places to live / store your car and roommates. I know someone currently looking to move near my area, but wants a roommate and a garage spot for a motorcycle, so I'll try to get you in touch with her.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had good luck renting and renting out garage spots on Craigslist. Unfortunately, they can be a bit pricey. For indoor spots you are looking at $100/mo to $200/mo for a single spot in a standalone garage or covered lot and $200/mo to $300/mo for your own single or 2 car garage. It all depends on neighborhood. Many of the standard old style chicago 3/4/5 flat type buildings will either be street parking or possibly have a garage in the alley. Your newer condo-boom buildings will usually have some sort of underground parking.

My usual advice to anyone moving/visiting Chicago is that it is a city of neighborhoods. You may want to ask your sister (or ask here) what neighborhood would be good for your lifestyle. That should help narrow down your search for parking and give you an idea of what your public transportation options are. But regardless of what neighborhood, park your S inside.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:52 PM
S2KI Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Raven, welcome!

As others have said, I would definitely recommend that you have a garage spot to park your S. Generally garage spaces are going to be very expensive and hard to find (especially in winter) in the city. As Pat said, most of the apartment buildings don't have any parking, and if they do, it's mostly outdoor spots with really not protection. If you can find an indoor garage spot, you can look to spend anywhere from $150-$300 per month, depending on the neighborhood.

Also, are you planning to drive your S throughout the winter? If so, you should invest in some good snow tires!

I've had the best luck finding apartments on craigslist, although it's kind of a pain in the butt. Good luck and please let us know if we can be of any help!