The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

Moving to Chicago...

Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Chicago...

Hi everyone, just found out tonight that I'll be moving to Chicago for at least the next two years and need advice on places I should look to live. Suburbs/City, it doesn't matter, but I have a few requirements:

1. At least a 1 car garage, preferably 2. This is pretty much a must - unless anyone knows of a large storage unit where I can store my s2k. (in that case, anything that fits the below descriptions) It's my track car and isn't really acceptable to DD, plus has some track goodies that I don't want to leave on the street or a parking garage. I have a company car, but it doesn't really need to be garaged.

2. Somewhat convenient to the airport (45 minute drive max) - I fly a lot for work.

3. Near a fun, mid-20s something area to hang out (or a train line to get to one). I am 23, so I still like to lead a pretty active social/night life.

4. Affordable - this is the big one. I don't care how big the living area is, as long as I have a garage. I'd like to spend around $800-$1000/month (let me know if this isn't possible), or more for more bedrooms that I could rent out.

If anyone knows of anyone renting a room that would have a garage space available too, that's another option...or if you're looking at moving out of an apartment and want to live in a house with a garage and might be interested in rooming with me, let me know.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to meeting you all soon.

~aCab
Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There is virtually no chance of living in the city with even a single car garage for that kind of money. At least not without a roomate or two.

You are going to have to look at the suburbs. The good news is that the airport isn't really THAT far from most places (especially if you can stay along I90.) Also along I90 is the Blue line of the EL. It runs into the City for fun stuff to do.

I would suggest looking around Palatine area. There are a lot of bars in the area for some nightlife, it's relatively convient to the airport and reasonalby priced.

The other option is to look near the other airport, Midway. I don't really know that area very well, but I am sure you would have easy access to downtown. It would also be a little closer to some of the tracks in the area, like Autobahn, and all of the Michigan tracks (Gingerman and Grattan being the most popular destinations.)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[EDIT] I just sent you a PM with the possibility of taking my roommate's place.

Otherwise, if you need to move sooner and / or my place wouldn't make sense or work out (but still want to live downtown), the area I live in (University Village) may have other units like it available. I can certainly look at the flyers within my building and see if anything would match your request well. Normally a place like mine (which is technically only 1 bedroom and a den, but I use the den as a bedroom in exchange for the parking space) goes for $1450-$1600 a month with the parking spot.

Some other places to look at would be the West Loop, and possibly Logan Square, Lincoln Park, or Roscoe Village, although it may be harder to find garage parking in these locations.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, and feel free to send me a PM if you'd like more info on my place specifically.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Sent u a pm on Jdmchicago. May have perfect place for u.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM

bump
Old 02-06-2011, 06:43 PM

send You a pm about garage or rather warehouse space(with tools).
Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by RaDZio,Feb 6 2011, 09:43 PM
send You a pm about garage or rather warehouse space(with tools).
Now you have me curious, Brad.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by K1ngfunK,Feb 7 2011, 07:13 AM
Now you have me curious, Brad.
there is only one space left and its in mt prospect. There is another sr20 260z hiding there too (not mine).
Old 02-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by RaDZio,Feb 7 2011, 12:16 PM
there is only one space left and its in mt prospect. There is another sr20 260z hiding there too (not mine).
Alrighty, well this guy gets first dibs then, since he would actually need it.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by K1ngfunK,Feb 7 2011, 07:05 PM
Alrighty, well this guy gets first dibs then, since he would actually need it.
wouldn't need it until May/June time. Going to be flying up to Chicago tomorrow, need to see if I can set up a time to see the place though. Only problem is I'll be down in Peoria for most of the week.

Quick Reply: Moving to Chicago...