S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SCCA STU build done, here's some pics!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SCCA STU build done, here's some pics!

Picked up my finished '05 built for SCCA STU 2 weeks ago. Beautifully built by Phil Munoz of Pacific Throttle House near Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway, weight is 2550 lbs wet. Here's what I had done:
  • Roll cage w/ gutted A-pillars, DS NASCAR bar, window net, mounting points for gutted OEM hardtop. Dash fits without any cutting needed.
  • Collapsible Sweet steering column w/ e-power steering disconnected
  • OMP HTE XL seat installed on custom adjustable rails.
  • Haltech Platinum Pro ECU, Racepak IQ3 data logger w/GPS, oil pressure sensor/module and transponder
  • Center switch panel w/sealed fuse/relay box, main electrical kill switch
  • AFFF fire suppression system
  • Fuel test port
  • Trailer tie-downs on 4 corners

Weight is 2550 lbs with near-full tank and OEM wheels. Other than the ECU and oil sensor, the engine and engine compartment are stock. I'll be removing all A/C components, electric steering controllers/harness/etc, air injection system and other unneeded pieces 'n parts to save more weight. I'm guessing it'll be down another ~100-150 lbs (once my RPF1s wheels are on). I'll also be installing an APR GTC-200 SCCA wing, and will have it tuned after installing a K&N FIPK (its running a generic off-the-shelf Haltech AP1 tune right now). Next big step will be Olin coilovers and camber adjustments (next year?).

Finished cage:

Finished cage being painted:

Gutted A-frame during fabrication:

Rear cage bars landed on frame rail ~12" aft of spring perches.

Custom d/s adjustable seat rails.

Plenty of head clearance (seat bottom cushions removed):

Collapsible Sweet steering column (power steering disconnected, will be removed later)

Cockpit w/Racepak IQ3, sealed fuse/relay panel cover removed. Dashboard required no cutting to fit around the roll cage.

Center switch panel. Toggles for ignition, fan and wipers. Buttons to scroll Racepak pages and reset alarms. Sealed fuse box. Only other cockpit controls are the OEM push-to-start and master electric kill switch.

AFFF fire suppression system and main electrical kill switch. Nozzles under DS dash and in the engine compartment.

Custom 3" SS header-back single exhaust with Borla muffler, 44 lbs lighter then OEM cat + exhaust.

Now its time to focus on track time and skill development...lots of room for improvement behind the wheel!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 AM

Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, Congrats on getting it all done.
Can't wait to see it out there running
Old 09-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 568 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg W
AFFF fire suppression system and main electrical kill switch. Nozzles under DS dash and in the engine compartment.
Awesome build. but one quick question... Can you reach that thing all the way across the dash while you're fully buckled in? or is that for track works when they get to you? Do you have a separate switch for yourself under/close the the driver's dash?

Edit: I can see that other line with a switch next to the center console on the passenger side. Question just pertains to the passenger vent.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice. Any video clips with exhaust sound? I'd really like to hear it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 PM

Bullwings, the extinguisher pull handle is within easy reach while belted in, however the E-kill switch is not within driver reach when belted. The ignition toggle kills all electronics including fuel pump, but is not intended as the master kill mechanism.

The Haltech ECU logic requires engine revs for power to flow to the fuel pump, avoiding the chance of having fuel spout from a ruptured line after the car stalls but ignition remains on in a wreck.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 PM

Gearhead, I'll post a clip from my GoPro when I can. Will try to find examples of me passing/being passed by the various "vocal" cars in the only session I recorded (NASCAR, GT3s, 458s, Saleen S7, Boxster Spyder, ZR1, etc).
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Here's a brief sample of the sound from my 3" header-back exhaust through a Borla muffler. Accelerating out of Thunderhill T9.
[media]http://youtu.be/8s6Q8wyzhOM[/media]
Old 09-23-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^Thanks! Sounds good at full song. How is the volume level at idle, cruise, and WOT?
I've fabricated a few similar systems using Magnaflow and Burns mufflers and have wanted to try a Borla.

Quick Reply: SCCA STU build done, here's some pics!