S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Redline S2K's Build Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Redline S2K's Build Thread

Many of you have probably seen me post often, answering questions, asking questions but no thread of my own, well here it is. Bought my S in 2010 after loosing my Genesis Coupe. Wasn't sure about boosting the S after researching the car before I bought it. At that time, the FI section was flooded with 3mm headgasket propaganda. Once the first build without one emerged, I was sold on boost. I miss the power of my first SRT4 and wanted to experience it again. I wanted around 400-450 like my SRT so I spent countless hours reading build after build after build. Late 2010 early 2011 I pulled the trigger on a Trackforged kit with 6262.

Kit occupied my dining room table mostly while I acquired the rest of the supporting mods (got my yelled at on more than one occasion). Took about 3 weeks to get the kit from Trackforged with ceramic coating. Kit came very well packed in 2 very large boxes that Fed Ex refused to bring upstairs to my apartment.

Had the pipes and intake back wrinkle powder coated

Supporting mods

Big thanks to my boy Aaron at Realtune for the fuel mods. He's the guy to see about ANYTHING SRT related.

While most of this stuff couldn't be installed yet, I did install this and even NA, love every bit of it. This is the 4th exhaust I've owned (soon to be 5th) and easily the 2nd best sounding NA once I added a resonator. First being the Greddy TiC Single.

Middle of 2011, I ended up selling most of the things you see here with the exception of the EMS. Biggest reason I sold it was I was scared I'd ruin the s2000 experience with the puck clutch. I had one in my SRT4 for a week before ripping it back out for a twin disc. At the time I don't think there was another twin disc option but the SOS clutch and being my first Honda, I completely overlooked the amount of power you would need to actually need the 6puck. At 450hp I could've run plenty of other clutches that weren't puck so I basically scared myself out of going turbo for no reason lol. Sold the kit to a member who than sold it to Manny2587 (his build in link). Glad it went to someone that put it to good use.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/964...#entry21844180

I installed the AEM, Berk Headerback and a PRM intake and figured I'd be happy with just that. Got tuned and made 225 which satisfied my for about 2hrs.......the drive back from the tuner. For the next 2 months, I bet myself up for selling everything At this point my excessive cast was spent and situations in my life at that time made it hard to save up. I decided to begin the long process of piecing together a kit.

Friend got my a really good deal on a new AFI twin scroll manifold so that was my starting point.

Over the course of 2012 to 2013 I continued to gather parts, relocate things, install things etc etc. Scoured many different forums looking for parts and found pretty good deals to help the collection grow faster. Wastegates from evoM, intercooler from a s2ki member, BOV from srtforums, borg s360 from evoM. Intercooler piping was made my go-autoworks. Timing cover from s2ki member in NYC. Summit battery kit from subie forums. GhettoCRX ac lines.

Stage 6 Motorsports here in Jacksonville welded the vband on the s360

Before

After

ACT Pressure plate, AEM inline Wideband, Blackworks Radiator (same as Mishimoto) and Mishimoto fans from JJ Autowerks (best prices period)

After acquiring all the hot and cold parts, I ripped the car apart to test fit everything since I had a Frankenstein of a kit and install AC lines. To my surprise, almost everything fit perfectly. The intercooler piping was off but I contacted Greg at Go Autoworks and they remade the pipes free of charge. Also, Borg compressor housings are HUUUUGE, so I had to get slim fans (hence the Mishimoto shroud). The PLM downpipe actually fit really well too. I would need some bracing but good clearance from the frame, oil filter ect.

No room for factory fan

Downpipe mount clearance

Downpipe filter

Coldside not quite there

Hotside no issues
Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 PM

Now things get interesting again. About the time I do all this, Science of Speed released their new TS-Max kit. After following their teaser threads like a hawk until release, I was in love. I tried to ignore it but day in and out I couldn't take my mind of it. I wanted that kit. Even staring at my pile of parts, it wasn't enough to shake it. Unfortunately for me, once I want something, I have to have it. I instantly throw all my parts that were needed for the Franken-kit on s2ki in hopes to capitalize on SOS's introductory pricing. I contacted Chris daily about options and if it would meet my goals. At this time the gtx3576 wasn't an option yet. After a couple days emailing, we both decided that the 3576 would be a great choice for my goals. *Interesting side note: it is very possible the kit Rainhater ordered was the kit meant for me. I remember Chris saying no one had asked about this turbo yet and was going to add it to the option list* Next day I'm contacted by a member asking to buy my Franken-kit; we talk via text and phone and once I was sure he wasn't another tire kicker, we cut a deal. With the kit sold, I send SOS a deposit for a TS kit. Four days later I check my account to see if my paycheck deposited and notice the amount I got for the kit was subtract back out. WTF!!!!! I instantly call Bank of America about it. To make a long painful story short, turns out the check was fraudulent and only reason the money posted was cause BOA will credit you the money before it actually clears. Had I known this the FIRST day I call, I could have stopped Fed Ex. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until the 5th person I talked to and by then it was to late.

I'm out a kit, out my money and now I have to make a embarrassing call to Chris to get my deposit back. At this point the sight of my car just enraged me. I wanted nothing more to do with the s2k for 2 weeks until I calmed myself down. In step my friends at JJ Auto again with a stupid deal on a new AFI kit. Agree to deal and they get the kit started being made, this is in July. I start saving up money to pay them, periodically getting updates from Brad at AFI through them about the it. They were told end of October the kit would be done. So in the mean time, I get the car ready for the kit. Most of you have seen my battery relo thread

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/105...elocation-diy/

Installed Radium Secondary can and will be purchasing Primary can also

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106...ary-catch-can/

ACT PP with OEM disc combo (love the feel of this setup)

Custom clutch alignment tool

Perfect fit

Its now October 25th and..........nothing. Contact JJ and they immediately get to work finding out whats going on. They find out Manifold and downpipe are done, just needed to make chargepiping, expected time mid November. I'm getting slightly impatient but I hold it in. Come Novmeber.....nothing. Contact JJ and they told me Brad was closed for Thanksgiving and also working someplace in North Carolina doing fab work but the kit was done. As soon as he was back in Arizona, he would ship. Two weeks into December still no kit. Brad hurt himself at work and was on break to heal and than for Christmas. I asked why couldn't he have someone else ship my kit and JJ said he now works alone, he fired most of his staff. January, I ask for another update and I'm told everything is done except the manifold...... FLAG ON THE PLAY. I was told in October the manifold was done, WTF is going on. JJ once again went on the Hunt for Brad and for results. They finally get packages from him but this jackass only sent the manifold and downpipe. I paid for a full kit and didn't even get half. At this point, I was ready to fly to AZ to strangle someone but JJ Autoworks to the rescue again. They work very closely with Stage 6 Performance here in Jacksonville. They had my 1/4th kit sent to S6 to be completed and installed. They squeezed my car in every chance they got since I wasn't an appointment. 2 months later, I receive a call that she's ready.

Car running but without fuel. I get the new SOS wiring kit to install my walbro 400 (write up in the link). Also remove the kit to have the hotparts ceramic coated by River City Powder Coating here in Jax.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...os-wiring-kit/

While they were coated the hot parts, also had them do my valve cover. Looks great with the ARC sparkplug cover (searching for this particular cover for over a year, best birthday gift ever)

90 dollar oil cap just for the color

After installing all the fueling mods, had the car etuned by Jeff Evans. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience with dealing with Jeff and the tune. First calibration was iffy but he sent a corrected calibration the same night I told him the car wasn't running right. Next tune, fired right up. He did 6 calibrations before he AND I were happy with it. Boosting at 10psi 1st and 2nd gear, 12psi 3rd up. Jeff estimates the car to be around 350-400hp, I just know it feels great and enough to walk a 2013 Mustang GT, Challenger RT and Merc AMG C63. Part throttle is perfect around town, getting amazing gas mileage and no a single hiccup. Huge to Jeff Evans.

This is how Estelle (yes my car has a name lol) sits now and the last picture before taking the kit off and selling it Yep kits gone, enjoyed for a few weeks lol. Sold to a locale so no scam this time. Making room for P-Tuning goodness. I was going to go SOS TS and even more so after talking to Jeff about it but I couldn't pass up the deal for the P-Tuning kit.

More updates to come.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Holy f@#king shit. You are a nut! Lol
Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Thread! Very organized with pictures and I love that you powder coated the piping
Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahh the memories.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats quite the story, so many kits, but im the same way, gotta have what u want, good luck with the next build
Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by camuman
Holy f@#king shit. You are a nut! Lol
Starting to believe that since I keep hearing it lol

Originally Posted by mugen_rsx09
Great Thread! Very organized with pictures and I love that you powder coated the piping
Thanks

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
wow thats quite the story, so many kits, but im the same way, gotta have what u want, good luck with the next build
Thanks, I know your roads been even longer than mine. Will unbox the Ptuning kit and maybe start installing tonight.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What didn't you like about the afi kit? What makes you keep changing your mind? Lol looks,nice tho man!!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by lude92_si
What didn't you like about the afi kit? What makes you keep changing your mind? Lol looks,nice tho man!!
I didn't like the amount of heat in the engine bay. I knew it would be hot but after deciding I wanted to maybe track a few days a year, it had to go. First day without the ceramic coating, popping the hood after crusing, I couldn't stand near the engine bay. I work on cars daily for a living so high temps is nothing new to me but that was something else. I wanted a kit that was also more rounded. I want to build a car that is more or less average in all aspects, not a one trick pony. I feel that kits like the AFI are more geared for drag racing and similar where you have time to cool down after a run. When I first bought the kit I only cared about having a fun street car but the idea of tracking wouldn't go away lol. I was heavily in favor for the SOS TS-Max kit, the KW and HKS superchargers were a close second. Ptuning wasn't an option until the one I bought popped up in the FS section.

Quick Reply: Redline S2K's Build Thread