S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tomcatt Opinions

Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Tomcatt Opinions

Hey, there, folks!

I'm starting this thread to get your opinions on the upcoming Tomcatt Run, scheduled, as usual, for Father's Day weekend - June 17-19, 2016.

This year is the 10th anniversary of Tom's passing (the 11th Tomcatt meet). His family is planning on attending, and I've been thinking over the winter about how to make the event special, to commemorate the years passed.

My question is: The Tomcatt Run has evolved very little over the years. The route has changed a bit, but we've settled on pretty much what's best in the area, and the social aspect (primarily the party Saturday evening) works well. The focus on driving and the people will always be a distinctive mark of this meet, so I feel that this aspect, at least, I should not change. However, there are options in the area for a more 'formal' event, and by formal I mean booking a larger resort, with a small banquet hall, and spending more time on the social aspects, such as having a bar at the hotel where we can all hang out after dinner. Or, we can keep it exactly the same, a formula that simply works.

Thoughts, opinions?

I'm calling the Hampton tomorrow to make sure that weekend is available, and even if I reserve 20 rooms as usual, it's early enough to cancel and move elsewhere if we decide to.

Also - please post here if you see yourself joining us this year. If the number looks like more than 20 cars, that goes into my decision-making.

Thanks for your time!

Old 02-25-2016, 02:29 AM

Received 731 Likes on 447 Posts

Best wishes to all attendees! This has always been one of my favorite meets, but alas, we no longer do much traveling so we cannot attend. I so wish we could.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:06 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll set aside Room 314 for you and Jim, just in case.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 997 Likes on 681 Posts

I'll probably make the trip once again (and gritch about the drive ).
Old 02-25-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

We are planning on being there, where ever "there" is. It would be nice to be in a resort where we don't need to drive for dinner or a drink. I am curious as to where that would be. Already looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 468 Likes on 277 Posts

I plan on being there and always look forward to this meet, as I enjoy the drive out and back home equally as well as RT 26. Who knows, this year the Plant Pixie may also attend.

I agree with Katherine that not having to drive for dinner, and being able to walk back to our rooms after having an after dinner drink is not a bad idea. But, of course that also depends on room rate, as well as the costs involved for a "typical" resort hotel breakfast (which can sometimes approach or exceed $20 PP). The food and lodging costs could have an impact on the attendance, so that could be a double edge sword?

It could solve the on going issue about where to have dinner on Friday and Saturday night?

The Hampton Inn has been accommodating to us over the years, so I would not rule it out. Just my two cents.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 997 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
I plan on being there and always look forward to this meet, as I enjoy the drive out and back home equally as well as RT 26. Who knows, this year the Plant Pixie may also attend.

I agree with Katherine that not having to drive for dinner, and being able to walk back to our rooms after having an after dinner drink is not a bad idea. But, of course that also depends on room rate, as well as the costs involved for a "typical" resort hotel breakfast (which can sometimes approach or exceed $20 PP). The food and lodging costs could have an impact on the attendance, so that could be a double edge sword?

It could solve the on going issue about where to have dinner on Friday and Saturday night?

The Hampton Inn has been accommodating to us over the years, so I would not rule it out. Just my two cents.
If I go, we can make the drive out together again, Matt.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 1,440 Likes on 781 Posts

As of today, planning to go! The only thing I would consider changing would be to make the drive shorter, perhaps heading north on 26 and not going all the way to Zanesville. How about that state park that's just off the Interstate where we used to stop for lunch? They have accommodations, do they not?

Hey, Ken. You and I drove out together last year, remember?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:28 AM

Received 731 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasM
I'll set aside Room 314 for you and Jim, just in case.
Thanks so much Jonas! I've heard that Room 314 is legendary.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:58 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

We plan to make it also!

Quick Reply: Tomcatt Opinions