S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Radar Detectors

Old 08-20-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I use a passport 7500 that's almost 6 years old!! May not have all the bells/whistles of the newer models, but it still works great. Like the 8500, it has the expert mode that shows you the number of signals its picking up and the level of each.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you guys hardwire the V1 too
Old 08-20-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hardwired V1...like everybody said nothing else compares...

I hardwired mine into the interior fuse box and placed the unit directly under the rearview mirror
Old 08-20-2005, 08:15 PM

Go to the V1 website. Mike Valentine has excellent information on how radar works. When you read this, you'll see how some radar detectors out there are simply not up to par.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:42 AM

If you've only owned 2 detectors in the last 3 years... Then the one you own now is the best. Of course the guy on the V1 site tells you his is the best. He wants to sell V1's.

Even the testing you see in car mags is a little off sometimes. I say proof is in the pudding. What maybe best in one car might not be the best in another, I've had 4 high end units in the last 4 years. I've kept both the V1 and the SRX system but I have to lean a little towards the hard install on the SRX, not only for style, but more importantly.. function. If your answering a guy who asks what's the best. You can only judge by what you have or have used used.

Seeing as I've been a daily driver with both units... I'll say this.

I don't like the idea of anything in a car this big(or any car) being velcro'd to a windshield. If you've ever been in an accident where things are free floating, or attached to a window with suction cups, you would see my point on this. They make great projectiles. So I'm not a huge fan of this method. But having said that.

The SRX unit blows away the V1 I have hands down.

I still use the V1 to transfer between cars and it's OK... But Once you've been hit all the V1 is going to do for me is tell me how much to pay. It does nothing to help me out.

This unit will track 3 X band contacts, 3 K Band Contacts, 3 Ka Contacts and still detect front and rear laser hits all at the same time.

It will display frequencies OR the proximity of the radar being picked up.

It provides VOICE alerts, to say nothing of the laser jamming on both front and rear which I have complete control over. Once I'm targeted, hit and the jammers go active. I can keep them running a long as it's takes me to make a speed correction, then stop the jamming to allow John Q. Law to get a reading and he thinks nothing of it.

As a person who has owned or owns all of the high end gear out there. I can tell you nothing has even come close to this unit's performance.

I have occasion to be hit in the same place day after day, driving different cars while both the V1 and the SRX have been running. I can state without any hesitation, the SRX system is hands down better than the V1 in our S2000 cars.

I have **atleast** a 20 seconds more notification time ( if not more ) with the SRX than I do with the V1 in city driving on Ka alerts. And FAR greater on highway alerting times on ALL bands. I have recently shut the X-Band part of the SRX off due to false alerts. I'll take my chances with it.

And the arrows mean nothing to me. I mean Ka spells out Radar, whether I see it or I don't, it's speed correction time and I usually see the culprit once the unit red lines anyway. People make far too much of this arrow thing and I've never understood it.

No wires, you can barely see it even if your looking for it, and this equals less to worry about theft wise. There is a MUTE switch I've placed inside the cup holder area which does two things.

First it's the MUTE for all alerts, although the unit is self-muting. And second it's the shut off for which ever laser jammer thats has gone active.

I've placed the speaker for the alerting/voice behind the drivers seat where the plastic ends and the carpet begins, and it's loud ! Even with the Sirius blasting away, I've never had an issue hearing it.

I've also placed the remote LED for alerts in the upper corner of the drivers A pillar so I get the panel message, the voice alert, and the red LED go off without removing eys fro the road.

Don't get me wrong when I talk about these two units. They both offer great protection for alerting you. But you really can't compare them. It's a night & day thing.

As a footnote here. We also have a SILVER BULLET PNY battery unit we keep in the Ridgeline and although it was NOT a good detector for the S2000, it's been a pretty good operator in the new truck.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 AM

SRX is a great unit. The only thing keeping me from getting it, is the ~$1600 price tag. V1 & 8500 has done me good so far, though.