S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

New ACT PROTOTYPE REVIEW

Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New ACT PROTOTYPE REVIEW

I've been using the new ACT prototype version in my car for about a month.Feels just as smooth as the old version with a slightly lighter pedal force.The pedal feel is somewhere in between stock and the old version so it will still feel stiffer than stock but is easier to modulate resting your heel and using your foot.I'm using the OEM disc and its smooth as silk. No pedal adjustments were necessary.I got it because I was having some knee pain from surgery a few years back and thought a lighter pedal pressure would help but I loved the smoothness of my ACT and didn't want to go with a more aggressive disc.It has helped quite a bit since there is less force on my knee.I have a KW high boost kit and there is no slippage at all.It's definitely a winner just like the older version. This version has 20% more pedal pressure than stock ( about 18% less than the older version) which is in line with CC and CM claim of 15% yet almost identical clamp force and working room of the older version and you can use it with the OEM disc. .Pedal pressure translates to pressure on the thrust bearings.I still feel there are more factors involved in TW failure than 18% extra pedal pressure but ACT did what everyone asked.It is still the best clutch option if you want the smooth as stock engagement of the OEM disc.I also removed my clutch delay valve.I am also using the heavier stock ap2 flywheel.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome to hear!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 273 Posts

When my 6 year old original dies I'll probably go with this one.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Archtop,

how is the engagement? Meaning, is it basically on/off or it will engage progressively like the stock clutch?
If there is one thing I hate about my CM is that its basically on/off, if you try to let go of the pedal slow it will chatter to the point I feel I will have to pick up my differential off of the pavement.
Also, what flywheel are you using?.

Thanks, Joaquin
Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

factory disc with heavy pressure plate means it engages exactly the way a stock clutch does, just with a heavier pedal.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if ACT would do anything for the owners of the original PP's? I think I'll give them a call tomorrow, I'd really like to swap out the ACT in there now jsut for peace of mind. The cost of labor is bad enough but add in another $600-700 for a clutch setup is just a tough pill to swallow.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 273 Posts

You'll have to ask ACT. They may not have the new pressure plates ready for mass production.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by R1_Pilot,May 14 2009, 06:44 AM
Archtop,

how is the engagement? Meaning, is it basically on/off or it will engage progressively like the stock clutch?
If there is one thing I hate about my CM is that its basically on/off, if you try to let go of the pedal slow it will chatter to the point I feel I will have to pick up my differential off of the pavement.
Also, what flywheel are you using?.

Thanks, Joaquin
I live in the smoky mountains so everything is a hill or curve.The engagement is as smooth as stock but no slippage,it's what I love about the ACT with the OEM disc.Really easy to take off sitting at a light on a hill.I also have the stock ap2 flywheel which adds to the smoothness. Like I said its great.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatPreludeGuy,May 13 2009, 08:26 PM
Anyone know if ACT would do anything for the owners of the original PP's? I think I'll give them a call tomorrow, I'd really like to swap out the ACT in there now jsut for peace of mind. The cost of labor is bad enough but add in another $600-700 for a clutch setup is just a tough pill to swallow.

install price + new pp cost makes it a hard decision to switch over.

the only thing that keeps me from switching over is the fact that Dirk was very confident the current ACT pp was not the direct cause of crankwalk.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM

what's the part number for the updated pressure plate?

where did you get it from?

what is the cost?

Quick Reply: New ACT PROTOTYPE REVIEW